The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Temporary token removal

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Grails
Temporary token removal

During the aftermath: Wrap up event, temporary weapon and defence tokens are removed. Are these any tokens that are not attached to a card? If so, how does the card APS superstructure in the Vigilance deck help you when you gain a defence token during the aftermath phase actions, or where do you place the defence token you gain from recycling a card from your hand?  

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Temporary tokens are only when an ability explicitly days "temporary." If it doesn't, its permanent.

If a card says to gain Energy, In goes on the SF panel. These are not permanent, unless it explicitly says so.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Ixcelbrien

Can you clarify this? Just got this for Christmas. Really enjoy it. But don't understand this statement. 

Do do you mean it will tell you if it is temporary. If it doesn't it goes on your ship panel as extra energy until its gone? 

For example: you have 4 normal defense and 2 weaponry but you have two extra weaponry due to a card boost. You remove from defense to weaponry, outside in, then you you remove from your ship. Is that when it would come into play as far as removal but until then it is helping boost your stats?

If it was specifically temporary then you would remove it in the aftermath. 

lol tell me where I've messed up.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Ixcelbrien wrote:

Can you clarify this? Just got this for Christmas. Really enjoy it. But don't understand this statement.  

Do do you mean it will tell you if it is temporary. If it doesn't it goes on your ship panel as extra energy until its gone?  

For example: you have 4 normal defense and 2 weaponry but you have two extra weaponry due to a card boost. You remove from defense to weaponry, outside in, then you you remove from your ship. Is that when it would come into play as far as removal but until then it is helping boost your stats? 

If it was specifically temporary then you would remove it in the aftermath.  lol tell me where I've messed up.  

Hey lxcelbrien! Let me see if I can deconstruct your questions and help answer it for you.

Temporary Buffs: IIRC, the only temporary buff boost I know of comes from Conclave of Niphon and the card Inspired Shield. (If there is another I am not remembering, please correct me). It explicitly uses the term Temporary in the card text.

Lets work with an in-game example Lets say you are in the [B] phase. You just ended the damage calculation subphase and can play boosts again before the next subphase happens. You see that you will take 3 total energy damage and decide that boosting your shields is the best play, so you play Inspired Shield giving you two temporary shielding. You can place those 2 shields on the panel if you wish, but I personally set them outside of my Shield Tech stack as to better identify them. So once everyone has played boosts, you move on to the next subphase of damage calculation. That 3 energy damage will come off of your temporary shielding first. So you would remove both of the temp shields and 1 additional from the outermost shield tech (or panel if no shield tech is present, or from weaponry if there are no more shields).

Lets change the above scenario a bit. In the damage calculation stage you find that you will be taking 1 energy damage from battle. But you have no Shields left on your ship and you want to preserve your weaponry. You decide to play your boost card before damage calculation begins. That 1 energy damage will come off of your temporary shielding first. Now you have 1 temp shield left over. At the end of the [A] phase during cleanup you will remove any remaining temp shielding you gained that round.

General Buffs: For all the other cards that grant your ship extra Weapons or Shields, those extra tokens get put directly onto your ship panel and are protected by your installed tech. So when you are playing Vigilance for example (on of the better FlagShip killers in the game), her weaponry buffs from things like Redirect Energy and Cargo Container will go straight onto the panel. Shields from APS also go directly onto the panel. These are considered permanent until removed.

Energy Removal: Energy gets removed in this order. Shield Tech -> Shields on Panel -> Weaponry Tech -> Weaponry on panel. Your Weapons do not get touched unless all your shielding is down. You might have already known this, but from your post it read as if you had this mixed up a little.