The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

"Targets cannot do Radiant damage"

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
AlexxKay
"Targets cannot do Radiant damage"

Unhallowed Halls states, in part: "Targets cannot do Radiant damage".  Visionary has Twist the Ether on target X.  X is doing some damage.  Which of these is true:

A) Visionary can change X's damage type to Radiant. The damage is then prevented.

B) Visionary is not allowed to pick Radiant as the new damage type.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I'd say she can change it to radiant damage, the it would be prevented.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I agree with Ronway.

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

But...it doesn't say to prevent Radiant damage, or even that all targets are immune to radiant damage...but that one would not even be able to attempt to DO radiant damage. My vote's on B, and the sheer impossibility of radiant damage as a viable option. =P

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

But surely by the same logic Fanatic would then not be able to play e.g. Holy Nova, because it deals Radiant damage? My money is squarely on A.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

I agree with Ronway and those who've posted in support of his argument.

If you consider Grease Gun from Mr. Fixer's deck, it states "non-hero targets cannot deal damage."  This does not prevent villains (who are non-hero targets) from playing damaging one-shots; the damage simply doesn't occur.

Objulen

Nothing stops anyone in this game from trying to do something they can't do to no effect. 

much0gust0
much0gust0's picture
Playtester

I'm fine with conceding...but I will also say that if I'm told heros cannot play cards, I would not play cards...I would NOT play a card and them have that card basically be blank and go directly to the discards without effect.

PeterCHayward
PeterCHayward's picture
Game Designer

You can try to play a card...but you won't be able to. :P

Australian living in Toronto. I make a lot of games. http://about.peterchayward.com

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Neither would I. I could use Expatriette's Load power, however, even if I then couldn't play a card off of it.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

Voob Gooblin
Voob Gooblin's picture

Revisiting, because I played a game where this came up and it felt far too overpowered, so thought of a possible counter-argument:

Nothing stops anyone in this game from trying to do something they can't do to no effect. 

If that is the logic for enabling TtE to change X's damage to Radiant, thereby nullifying damage attempted by X, couldn't you also argue that Visionary via TtE may attempt to change the damage type, but to no effect—because of Radiant's impossibility—allowing the original damage type to be dealt, despite "using" TtE for that instance?

So making an option C) Visionary chooses Radiant damage; the damage type does not change

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

Voob Gooblin wrote:

Revisiting, because I played a game where this came up and it felt far too overpowered, so thought of a possible counter-argument:

If that is the logic for enabling TtE to change X's damage to Radiant, thereby nullifying damage attempted by X, couldn't you also argue that Visionary via TtE may attempt to change the damage type, but to no effect—because of Radiant's impossibility—allowing the original damage type to be dealt, despite "using" TtE for that instance?So making an option C) Visionary chooses Radiant damage; the damage type does not change

I feel like for rulings like this not breaking the game trumps all else.  I like your interpretation and will use it until I hear otherwise (if this situation comes up anyway).