The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Supercooled Trisolvent Vat and how the damage is "packetized"

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester
Supercooled Trisolvent Vat and how the damage is "packetized"

As far as I know, this is the only card worded this way, so I'm curious how the damage at the end of the turn is delivered.  It says "At the end of the environment turn, deal each target 1 cold damage, 1 toxic damage, and 1 energy damage."

Unlike most other cards that deal multiple instances of damage, there isn't a "then" between these.  As a result, I'm curious whether you should

A) Deal 1 cold damage to all targets, deal 1 toxic damage to all targets, and then deal 1 energy damage to all targets.

Or

B) Deal the damage all at one time to each target (i.e. target A takes 1,1,1 target B takes 1,1,1, etc.)

This matters in a few cases, specifically Decoy Projection.  Let's assume Irradiated Cyclohexance Vat as well, so now the damage is 2, 2, 2 and all toxic.

In case A) Visionary takes 2 damage which is re-directed to her Projection, then her Projection takes 2 damage (since it's a target), then Visionary takes 2 damage again, which kills her Projection, meaning she'll take damage from the last packet of 2 damage.

In case B) Visionary takes 2 damage, 2 damage, and 2 damage, which is all redirected to her Projection, and then it dies, and she's done and hasn't taken any damage.

It could also matter in a case where the damage is enough to kill a rat, which results in Akash'bhuta playing a card, which happens to be Disrupt the Field, which kills the Vat and stops the damage (we had this happen).

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Option B! It doesn't say, "Deal each target 1 cold damage, then deal each target 1 toxic damage, then deal each target 1 energy damage" which is what would result in Option A.

Hope this helps!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson