The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Success Stories

57 posts / 0 new
Last post
Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer
Success Stories

Share your successes and show off your Sentinel Points here!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

EricAlexWTG

Up to 45 points.  :)

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Citizen Jodie and I just completed "Fight the Break of Dawn" on advanced mode last night!

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

That's virtually the only way to beat her on advanced, it's not impossible if you let her flip, but it's very difficult.

EricAlexWTG

Had a great game against advanced Voss tonight.  Tachyon, Haka, Bunker, and the Wraith.  Wraith used her infrared eyepiece to hold off Forced Deployments until the villain trash was full to bursting.  Finally, one of them hit the table.  On Tachyon's turn she destroyed the Forced Deployment.  Sixteen minions marched dutifully onto the table, and Haka Rampaged them all to death instantly.  One card, sixteen kills!  Finally finished off Voss with a fully load Inventory Barrage for 20 damage on the dot.  Got Welcome to Earth, Prepared for Martyrdom, and Powerhouse all at the same time!

My group still hasn't beaten Dawn yet, though...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Nice! That sounds amazing.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TheJayManm, Rabit, me, and five of our friends got together to play Sentinels today. We played eight total games. It might have been more if four of us didn't end up in a very slow (fun, but S L O W) whittling of Citizen Dawn. Totally stoked to actually beat her after losing most of our hit points before doing virtually any damage to her. Three quarters of the team would have qualified for Last Man Standing. Playing the Wraith vs Dawn on Mars == lots of equipment loss.

One of the best parts of the day was facing Omnitron on standard mode and attempting to get a Flawless Victory. With both police backups as well as Bunker doing 2 pts of damage each turn, we actually contemplated trying to find a way to heal Omnitron to give us more time to heal ourselves. In the end, Omnitron got out both of the one-shots that cleared equipment and ongoing cards as well as doing a ton of damage. The heroes then realized it was time to stop show-boating and finish him off. We did, at least, let The Real Heroes do the destroying.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:
Totally stoked to actually beat [Dawn] after losing most of our hit points before doing virtually any damage to her.

Also, Catfight!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

In one day of playing for games, I have now managed to achive 185 sentinel points.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I have achieved: A Father's Legacy and The Fire's of Mount Doom. Good ol' Ra, making us immune to fire damage as the Volcano did its thing.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Poor co-worker. He came to lunch late.  We let him take over a hero, but just as we taught him how to play, I realized there was an opportunity for the Kraken to kill Blade, so I wouldn't let him have Ra actually do any damage.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Wow, Ra not doing damage makes him essentially useless. Aside for making everyone immune to fire... Which isn't the best for Baron Blade.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:
Wow, Ra not doing damage makes him essentially useless. Aside for making everyone immune to fire... Which isn't the best for Baron Blade.

Yeah. At least it was only for one turn.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You know what's a bit unfair? TWO Legacies fighting simultaneously against Baron Blade. We didn't let that stop us, though. Beat Blade on Advanced Mode with Legacy, Legacy NG, Tempest, and Absolute Zero.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Don't think that applies to any story challenges though, since it would involve house rules. Unless you still did factor in the Limited for cards, and only had one legacy equiping them.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:
Don't think that applies to any story challenges though, since it would involve house rules. Unless you still did factor in the Limited for cards, and only had one legacy equiping them.

We did!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Awesome, if only I had a second Legacy deckI would try it out aswell, but my group of friends actually prefer everyone having a different games so that one somone can always bring something to the table. So in other words no one else owns the game so no other Legacy deck unless I want to buy another, which won't happen.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:
Awesome, if only I had a second Legacy deckI would try it out aswell, but my group of friends actually prefer everyone having a different games so that one somone can always bring something to the table. So in other words no one else owns the game so no other Legacy deck unless I want to buy another, which won't happen.

Replacement Hero Deck is $5. Or you can do what I did, play with someone over Skype who has their own copy of the game.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

I'll be bringing my papers with me tonight and for the weekend.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

I have clearly missed something.  What are these sentinel points of what you speak and all these achievements?  I'm guessing I missed some online documentation somewhere.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

broccoli wrote:
I have clearly missed something.  What are these sentinel points of what you speak and all these achievements?  I'm guessing I missed some online documentation somewhere.

http://greaterthangames.info/downloads/

http://greaterthangames.info/wp-uploads/2011/09/StoryChallenges.pdf

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Cool.  I've done a bunch of those, but I'll need to start tracking damage done and hps healed in games overall.  :)

terrestrialboy

Been playing this a lot recently ... had Fanatic take down Baron Blade, hitting him with 26 points of damage!  Boom!

Only villains we have yet to defeat are Citizen Dawn (damn you Citizen Truth!) and Omnitron.

Both times we've gone up against Lord Voss, we've kicked his alien butt back into space.  He won't be messin' with Earth again!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

terrestrialboy wrote:
Been playing this a lot recently ...

Welcome to the fun. Favorite hero?

ogseamus
ogseamus's picture
Playtester

My group is up to 235 points. We got a lot this weekend including Two for Flinching, Although Prepared for Martyrdom, and Invincible. We do not have any of the healing ones because it says "heal a teammate" and we don't believe healing yourself counts.

Mal: "Well they tell you: never hit a man with a closed fist. But it is, on occasion, hilarious."

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

ogseamus wrote:
My group is up to 235 points. We got a lot this weekend including Two for Flinching, Although Prepared for Martyrdom, and Invincible. We do not have any of the healing ones because it says "heal a teammate" and we don't believe healing yourself counts.

Correct, it does not.

Grinnell College 2016

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

This isn't really about points, but two nights ago, we had our biggest success: we finally beat Matriarch and Chairman, in one night. It was amazing. I don't wanna go into every detail, so basically:

Chairman was still really hard, and we would have lost if Tony Taurus hadn't been there to stop a jailbreak which would have freed all of the underbosses.

Matriarch was... easy. I'm not kidding: we had the most incredible luck I've ever seen. She didn't even flip! You know how usually she'll get these long chains where like 10 fowls will come into play in one turn? She hardly got any chains at all. I think her biggest chain was 3 fowls. It was uncanny. I'm sad it wasn't very nail-bitingly tense, which I like my games to be, but after the multiple times in the past where she utterly destroyed us, it felt good to turn it around and just destroy her.

You're free to do whatever you want to.

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Got "Release the Kraken!"

Standard Voss versus Haka, Absolute Zero, Fanatic, Legacy.

Voss had us on the ropes for most of the game and while the kraken was taking out a few of his minions, it was doing the bulk of its damage to Absolute Zero (or Haka and his intercession). Eventually, though, after Haka was taken out by the Kraken, the other three heroes avenged him, relentlessly pounding him with a myriad of radiant and physical damage. As he stood up and began to charge at the heroes, the kraken's tentacles burst from the floor and pulled Voss into the dark waters.

Had the Kraken not gotten him, the Mystical Defenses certainly would have.

Also, on a related note, should there be an achievement for letting Dawn destroy herself during an eclipse? We had the fortune of her drawing that card when her health was 2.

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

msbq
msbq's picture

My friends and I have finally broken 50 points. It's been tough, but the Story Challenges are such a cool idea. :)

Also:

pcgamerpirate wrote:
Voss had us on the ropes for most of the game and while the kraken was taking out a few of his minions, it was doing the bulk of its damage to Absolute Zero (or Haka and his intercession). Eventually, though, after Haka was taken out by the Kraken, the other three heroes avenged him, relentlessly pounding him with a myriad of radiant and physical damage. As he stood up and began to charge at the heroes, the kraken's tentacles burst from the floor and pulled Voss into the dark waters.

This is why I play this game. The random moments of total awesome!

"One for Wrath... and one for Ruin."

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Just got Fight The Break Of Dawn!

Citizen Dawn in Megalopolis vs Absolute Zero, Visionary, Wraith, and Fanatic. Visionary and Wraith worked together to keep the Dawn's Auroras at the bottom of her deck and her Return from the Dawns on top such that her trash never had more than 3 citizens in it. Once Assault and Battery were chastised by Fanatic, it was all over as AZ kept healing himself, Visionary caused hemorrhaging, Wraith threw bundles of wraithmarangs and stun bolts, and Fanatic swung Absolution around to keep a Zealous Offense up. It was a Wrathful Retribution that finally caused Dawn to fall, without her merging with the power of the sun, she could not withstand the onslaught that the heroes could produce.

Did I mention I love this game?

"Defeat by Hippocalypse is no shame, Sentinel. For against Hippocalypse even the strong must fall."

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Yeah, that was a fun challenge to get.  We did it the cheap way.  We had 4 players (it was awhile back, so I forget who), and made sure that Haka was last in the turn order.  He got out Savage Mana, and then we always engineered the damage such that he'd have the finishing blow.  He kept stacking Citizen's under Savage Mana, and we kept womping on her.  Like you, I think we had either Wraith or Visionary on the lookout for Devastating Auroras.

I too love this game.  Not that the game wouldn't be fantastic without them, but I've found the Story Challenges do add a really cool "extra" factor to the game, especially when you risk defeat to try and snag that elusive challenge.

josul0215
josul0215's picture
Playtester

I recently defeated spite without him flipping. Tempest was sitting on a hand full of Into the Stratospheres and Reclaim from the deep. To stall, he kept uppercutting little lost girls into the stratosphere while the group stared at the player in a mix of amazement and disgust. The final blow was landed by Tachyon who managed to go through her entire deck and hit Spite with 3 Lightspeed Barrages.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Those poor girls. I'll be honest, while Tempest is always being played when we fight Spite, we always save Into the Stratosphere for Drug cards. Using it on victims is actually a great idea.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

You can't remove the drugs from play by any means once they enter, they are indestructible.

Indestructible: If a card is indestructible, it cannot be destroyed or removed from play. If a target is indestructible, it stays inplay even if it reduced to 0 or fewer HP.

And hitting those girls into the stratosphere, nice tactic, horrible visual!

Er... thinking about it stratosphere-ing those lost girls is not as 'game breaking' as I had first thought, Spite plays two cards per turn so it would only delay him slightly. I guess having Wraith go before Tempest would mean you could Infrared Eyepiece the deck to your advantage and then Stratosphere the Lost Girl later in the same round to manage the stall tactic better.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I had the feeling someone was going to mention that. Currently that is a house rule we have in play due to a rather argumentative player that I don't feel like pushing currently. I'm hoping to phase it out soon, when I have the energy. :-P

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Don't worry, once Enhanced Edition comes out, there won't be any room for argument.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

imprimis5 wrote:
I had the feeling someone was going to mention that. Currently that is a house rule we have in play due to a rather argumentative player that I don't feel like pushing currently. I'm hoping to phase it out soon, when I have the energy. :-P

So what you're saying is that the player is more of a villain than Spite?
Quick! Assembly the Freedom Five!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Matchstickman wrote:

imprimis5 wrote:

So what you're saying is that the player is more of a villain than Spite?
Quick! Assembly the Freedom Five!

He's vulnerable to anything dealing ego damage. As there is no one who deals that, looks like Visionary will need to be Twisting the Æther.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Tell him that a person on the internet said "Your interpretation of the rules is sub-par", that ought to deal enough damage to shatter his ego shield.

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Visionary, Young Legacy, Tempest and Wraith against Baron Blade on Mars.

Under the cover of a meteor storm, the heroes (and Blade) were able to heal up. On the turn that Blade had only 14 health left and everyone was at full health except for Young Legacy (who was 3 away), Visionary skipped her turn to allow Legacy to thokk, motivational charge, and atomic glare Blade to 3 HP, then Tempest called for a cleansing downpour to bring everyone to full strength just in time for Wraith to equip and throw razor ordinance.

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Down But Not Out
Me and a friend actually got this one once before, but the other night, I got the ultimate version of this one.  I was playing against Dawn with Young Legacy, Unity, Wraith, and Haka, in the Tomb of Anubis.  I wasn't trying for any achievements, but I hoped to pull off the "put all the citizens under savage mana" trick.  Dawn aurora-ed the round that Haka put out Savage Mana, so that never happened.  The game got brutal fast, but I ended up in a weird situation where everyone was at 1 hp, Smoke Bombs were out, and Young Legacy had Fortitude.  I can't go into details, but the tomb had 2 cards out dealing area damage, but Wraith got out 2 Mega Computers to neutralize those, and then with constantly redirecting damage from lowest to Young Legacy, I could handle anything at 2 damage or less.  Dawn was only doing 2, and none of her minions that did more than 2 came out.  At the end, I won just like that.  Everyone was at 1.  It was kinda cool.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

pcgamerpirate wrote:
FLAWLESS VICTORY!

Visionary, Young Legacy, Tempest and Wraith against Baron Blade on Mars.

Under the cover of a meteor storm, the heroes (and Blade) were able to heal up. On the turn that Blade had only 14 health left and everyone was at full health except for Young Legacy (who was 3 away), Visionary skipped her turn to allow Legacy to thokk, motivational charge, and atomic glare Blade to 3 HP, then Tempest called for a cleansing downpour to bring everyone to full strength just in time for Wraith to equip and throw razor ordinance.

Where's the like button on this thing ... :)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

broccoli wrote:
Down But Not Out
Me and a friend actually got this one once before, but the other night, I got the ultimate version of this one.  I was playing against Dawn with Young Legacy, Unity, Wraith, and Haka, in the Tomb of Anubis.  I wasn't trying for any achievements, but I hoped to pull off the "put all the citizens under savage mana" trick.  Dawn aurora-ed the round that Haka put out Savage Mana, so that never happened.  The game got brutal fast, but I ended up in a weird situation where everyone was at 1 hp, Smoke Bombs were out, and Young Legacy had Fortitude.  I can't go into details, but the tomb had 2 cards out dealing area damage, but Wraith got out 2 Mega Computers to neutralize those, and then with constantly redirecting damage from lowest to Young Legacy, I could handle anything at 2 damage or less.  Dawn was only doing 2, and none of her minions that did more than 2 came out.  At the end, I won just like that.  Everyone was at 1.  It was kinda cool.

Again, I say 'Where's the like button on this thing?'

Riffian

Late to the party and very new here, but tonight we beat Omnitron for the first time - which completes my opening tour of the core set villains for "Stop, Evildoer!", and we beat him at Wagner Mars Base, which also completes our tour of the environments.
This was also the first proper four-player game I'd played. Previously it'd just been me and my wife playing two heroes each, but tonight two of our friends came over. My wife laid first dibs on Wraith, as usual, and our friend Michael picked Ra pretty quickly. He wasn't entirely sure how he'd cope with being an all-out offensive player, and when I described a few of the others he said he'd probably pick Haka next time. Our other friend Tam chose The Visionary and I rounded out the team with Legacy. It was a long game since we had to explain a fair few of the game mechanics, but the two who were new to the game loved it and we all had a pretty awesome time. Plus nobody dropped below 18hp the whole game. We were a healthy bunch.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

broccoli wrote:
Down But Not Out

You know Smoke Bombs only redirects VILLAIN damage, not environment damage, right?

Unless they changed it for EE, but I thought they were nerfing her, not buffing her.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

Yah, like I said, the Mega Computers were handling the environment.

Riffian

Just beat Voss (second time) dual-wielding Fanatic and The Wraith, thus completing my beginners' tour of the core set. I've played as every hero, beaten every villain, fought in every environment.
I am a Sentinel of the Multiverse. *Puts shades on while walking away from explosion*

(Edit: I should add that it wasn't JUST Fanatic/Wraith, my wife was playing Tachyon/Tempest as well. I can't take down Voss with two heroes, haha.)

FanaticLover

We were playing as Tempest, Ra, AZ, Legacy and Bunker. We faced the Chairman in Megalopolis, and we had never faced him before.

We handily crushed him. Tempest had 7 life, Legacy, Ra, and Bunker all had 17, and AZ had 13. And it was my first time playing AZ, and I did a decent amount of damage, probably about 25-30. And Isothermic Transducer which turns fire damage to you into cold damage against the enemy, you still take damage right?

Riffian

Yeah, AZ takes damage. Otherwise he and Ra would be an even more effective team than they already are... ;D

pcgamerpirate
pcgamerpirate's picture

Every...story...challenge...complete.

Our last two were Field Medic and Deus Ex Machinasaurus.

Knowing that you need phosphoresent chambers AND Tempest AND Fanatic to get Field Medic, we ended up using Rook City Wraith to help us get phosphoresent chambers at the right time and Visionary to try to get tempest's cleansing downpours. Once the chambers were in play, fanatic emboldened Tempest, who played his second cleansing downpour and used both to heal a hurt Rook City wraith for 6 HP in one turn. Then we beat Baron Blade into a pulp.

The Deus Ex Machinasaurus was to have Visionary ride the T-Rex with Wrest the mind. We spent the whole game trying to get the T-Rex out and it was only after Haka sacrificed himself in a lava flow that the T-Rex finally came out when we were ready, with all heroes at less than 10 HP. Unfortunately, Blade was not second highest HP on the board and Visionary hadn't had time to wrest the mind. Luckily, however, Tachyon was second highest and Tachyon had played synaptic interruption...she dodged out of the way of the rampaging T-rex who instead made a tasty meal of the Baron's battle suit.

clarinetnerd
Playtester

I have ALL of the Challenges done now!!!  :)  I did them all the classic way, with no components from any expansion and with no house rules!  :)

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Pages