The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sub-Zero Atmosphere

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture
Sub-Zero Atmosphere

How do you use this card?

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

It's mainly useful because when a Villain plays a card (during the regular play step) that has an end of turn trigger, the trigger will go off the turn it was played, while a start of turn trigger won't trigger until the next turn.  So by turning end of turn triggers into start of turn triggers, you can delay the effects for a turn and you get a chance to deal with the cards before they trigger.

The downsides are:

1.  Villains that play cards at end of turn now play the extra card at start of turn, and that new card will get to activate it's end of turn and start of turn triggers on its first turn in play.  (And start of turn triggers are often much worse than end of turn triggers).

2.  If Sub-Zero Atmosphere gets destroyed, then all the triggers go back to being end of turn triggers, which could mean that an end of turn trigger triggers twice in one turn.

So it can be a dangerous card, and tricky to use well, but used well it can help protect you from damage by minions and things.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

It is amazing against Grand Warlord Voss, but not so happy against Citizen Dawn.  Everything that triggered at the beginning, if a Devastating Aurora triggers, now triggers again, at the end.  Ouch.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

One of the reasons I haven't used it was my first and only usage was against Voss in the digital game, and it seemed like minions that came out normally still got their attacks despite said attacks supposedly being moved to the start of the villain turn. It seemed like it wasn't having any effect at all.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

First and foremost it is a situational card but when those situations happen it is great.   I'm going to use an example I like best with Apostate.   You play Sub Zero Atmosphere and on Apostate's turn he does the following in order:

• Deal his damage 
  • Any cards in play with an end of turn affect trigger in the order they were played if any.   
  • Play a villain card like Corrupted Effigy
  • Apostate's turn ends with no further actions

Usually if Corrupted Effigy were played there would be a groan as Runes of Malediction would come out due to Corrupted Effigy but since end of turn affects occur at the start of turn it no longer gets to trigger until the next turn    Now you have a whole round to deal with Corrupted Effigy and likely won't have to deal with Rune of Malediction for a while.

Where this card is bad is when a villain plays a card as part of their end of turn actions.   Since the card comes out at the start of the turn it would still get to do it's normal action right then.   Omnitron, the Chairman (while the Operative is active) and Advanced Voss are times where it's best not to play it. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Belle Sorciere wrote:

One of the reasons I haven't used it was my first and only usage was against Voss in the digital game, and it seemed like minions that came out normally still got their attacks despite said attacks supposedly being moved to the start of the villain turn. It seemed like it wasn't having any effect at all.

Were you playing against him on Advanced?  Because if you were, then his extra play moves to the beginning of the turn, and that minion will trigger normally.  So instead of Play (normal) -> Play -> Minions  you get Play -> Minions -> Play (normal)

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

No, I was not. It was one of my first four games ever.

Thanks for the example, Powerhound.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Belle Sorciere wrote:

No, I was not. It was one of my first four games ever.Thanks for the example, Powerhound.

Then I'm not sure.  Either it was being buggy, or you were confusing new minions with ones already in play, I'd guess.  If you notice something like that happening again, do what you can to screen shot it so that we can take a look.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

It was a year ago. I'm mostly not concerned with resolving that (if it was a bug it was probably found by now). I am mostly looking for how the card is used effectively.

Powerhound_2000

A key item to point out is that if AZ is incapped before the villain's turn ends they'll get to do their affect again.   So watch out for his health and watch out for villains which do mass Ongoing Destriction.

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

Good to know.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Have to admit, it's a card I don't use very often.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

The main reason I brought it up was that I think I ended up with two in my hand during the weekly challenge thing and couldn't see any use for them against Spite.

Powerhound_2000

Not too helpful against Spite as he doesn't play any cards that would give much benefit from being start of turn always.  All you'd get is some drugs not triggering the first round they were played.   Sub Zero Atmosphere is better for villains that play multiple targets or at least Ongoings with end of turn affects that you can destroy that round.  

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Here's a list of every standard villain and whether or not I would use Sub-Zero Atmosphere on them.

1. Baron Blade - Totally, I just have to make sure not to let Absolute Zero get killed or destroy the Sub-Zero Atmosphere by Devious Disruption.
  2. Citizen Dawn - With deck manipulation and in an Environment that will not cause her to play cards, I would totally play it against her. If either of those two conditions are not meant, then I will definitely not play it.
  3. Grand Warlord Voss - Totally still play it, even if Advanced runs the risk of him playing one of his two ships, thus taking additional damage or destroying a Hero ongoing. It at least stops his normal play.
  4. Omnitron - Never will I play it.
  5. The Chairman - After The Operative is incapped.
  6. The Matriarch - Yes, it will help stop Munnin and Huginn from bringing eachother back. Since they are the Mask of the Matriarch are the only cards that have an end of turn, it can also work as a good sacrifice to Horrid Cacophony if need be.
  7. Plague Rat - Not much of a reason to. It'd only prevent a little bit of healing he would do if someone new is infected and Plague Locus is in play.
  8. Spite - Could cause problems if Upsilon is not in play and is played at the start of his turn. Only benefit would be some drugs would not trigger for a round if played on his Play phase.
  9. Akash'Bhuta - It's risky, coming down to deck manipulation, how many cards she'll probably be playing, and how many other Ongoings I can get in play. If I feel I can prevent the destruction of Sub-Zero Atmosphere, then i'll go for it.
  10. Apostate - Totally play it! The only time it might turn out bad is if something else causes him to play cards or Runes is destroyed and brings back multiple Imps without the means of destroying them before his turn.
  11. The Ennead - None of their played cards will do anything at the End of their turn, so no reason.
  12. GloomWeaver - No Ongoing destruction to worry about destroying it at a bad time, so go for it!
  13. The Dreamer - Pre-flip it's great. Post-flip it is dangerous, fortunately she destroys Ongoings when she flips so it can go.
  14. Iron Legacy - It's hard to judge when he'll take out Absolute Zero.
  15. Kismet - None of her played cards will do anything at the End of their turn, so no reason to play it.
  16. La Capitan - If you can keep crew numbers down and the Ship is destroyed, then totally play it.
  17. Deadline - It gives his Catastrophes a better chance to trigger, don't do it!
  18. Infinitor - No Ongoing destruction, so it's safe.
  19. Kaargra Warfang - No nasty Start of Turns and will only occasionally destroy 1 of Absolute Zero's cards, so as long as multiple other cards can be kept in play, then i'd do it.
  20. Progeny - It's risky, I probably wouldn't do it.
  21. Ambuscade - No Ongoing destruction, totally will!
  22. Chokepoint - None of her played cards will do anything at the End of their turn, so no reason to play it.
  23. Wager Master - No opinion, I cannot play against him because of having cards that are different sizes.
The Burning Stickman
The Burning Stickman's picture

Timing can be critical, too -- a little deck manipulation and I slipped it in during a fight with The Chairman just before Prison Break was played -- all five Underbosses came out, but didn't do any of their damage or pull the Thugs out, so they went right back in the trash without much fuss and I ditched Sub Zero Atmosphere right after.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

Thank you for that list.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If you're worried about AZ going down, Sub-Zero Atmosphere is also good fodder for Fueled Freeze if you want to do damage but there aren't a ton of villain ongoing cards for you to tear up.

Chrono
Chrono's picture
Playtester

I always assumed it was in his deck as a personality card that makes you think twice before putting the top card of his deck blindly into play with Omnitron or Scholar or in Atlantis. 

Anyone can game alone, but it is much more fun to game with friends.

Chrono

metaphysician

Quote:

Wager Master - No opinion, I cannot play against him because of having cards that are different sizes.

???

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

metaphysician wrote:

Quote:
Wager Master - No opinion, I cannot play against him because of having cards that are different sizes.

???

Earlier copes if Sentinels of the Multiverse have slightly bigger cards. Sinnce Wager Master has hero cards shuffled into his deck, it doesn't work.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:

Earlier copes if Sentinels of the Multiverse have slightly bigger cards. Sinnce Wager Master has hero cards shuffled into his deck, it doesn't work.

Well, you just have to change how you shuffle. wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Rabit wrote:

Ronway wrote:

Well, you just have to change how you shuffle. wink

Or put everything in the same size rigid sleeves.

...yeah, me too.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Or up your pledge to the $499 level in the Kickstarter to ensure they are all from the same print run.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Or just not play Wager Master in the physical game.

Chrono
Chrono's picture
Playtester

My Absolute Zero deck actually has one of his equipment cards that is bigger than any other card in the deck. Not going to lie, it comes in handy sometimes if you don't feel guilty about it.

Anyone can game alone, but it is much more fun to game with friends.

Chrono

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Chrono wrote:
My Absolute Zero deck actually has one of his equipment cards that is bigger than any other card in the deck. Not going to lie, it comes in handy sometimes if you don't feel guilty about it.
If you do start feeling guilty about it, they will happily send you a replacement for no charge if it's a manufacturing defect.
LewdDolphin21
LewdDolphin21's picture
Playtester

There actually was a very, very, small use of Sub-Zero Atmosphere in this week's one shot. It would enable flipped Spite's Mynd-Phyre to destroy Blighted Streets before the damage replacing Spite's card play, saving the heroes 1 point of damage.

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Ronway wrote:

Grand Warlord Voss - Totally still play it, even if Advanced runs the risk of him playing one of his two ships, thus taking additional damage or destroying a Hero ongoing. It at least stops his normal play.

Aren't you running the risk of Forced Deployment ruining your day?

Ronway wrote:

The Chairman - After The Operative is incapped.

Depending on what Underbosses are out, I'd consider playing Sub Zero Atmosphere even if the Operative isn't incapped. It can effectively negate Prison Break, for one thing.

Ronway wrote:

The Matriarch - Yes, it will help stop Munnin and Huginn from bringing eachother back. Since they are the Mask of the Matriarch are the only cards that have an end of turn, it can also work as a good sacrifice to Horrid Cacophony if need be.

Or, for that matter, it can be sacrificed to prevent damage on her front side. It's not often the best play, but dud hands do happen sometimes.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Katsue wrote:
Ronway wrote:
Grand Warlord Voss - Totally still play it, even if Advanced runs the risk of him playing one of his two ships, thus taking additional damage or destroying a Hero ongoing. It at least stops his normal play.

Maybe, maybe not. It comes down to how many minions are in the trash. Plus, it wouldn't be any different than if it was left in play for a round without having the means of destroying it, other than it happens one round sooner.

Kratos13

I'd like to elaborate Ronway's list a little:

Chairman: I wait until the Broker is in the trash - the scenario you don't want is Operative bringing out Broker at the start of turn which triggers an extra card play which is unaffected by Subzero Atmosphere.  Otherwise, Subzero is one of the best ways to survive a Jail Break.  Note that you won't be able to stack the villain deck anymore because Operative will search for Underboss and shuffle the deck before playing a card.

Akash'Buta: Agreed: I try to make sure there is other Ongoing fodder for Earth's Sacrifice.  If so, Subzereo is one of the best ways to survive a chain of Primeval Eruptions.

La Capitan: Agreed: I try to make sure it's not vulnerable to Plunder (not a lot of crew out/other Ongoing/Equip fodder) and the Ship is not in play.  Otherwise, it really helps to in surviving Motley Crew and Raiding Party, or prevent a chain of them being played (yes, I just played a game that went from nothing in play to All Together Now->Motley Crew->Raiding Party->Battle Forged kills a target->Raiding Party = all crew and ship out = all heroes die)

Great list, BTW!

Katsue
Katsue's picture

Ronway wrote:

Katsue wrote:
Ronway wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. It comes down to how many minions are in the trash. Plus, it wouldn't be any different than if it was left in play for a round without having the means of destroying it, other than it happens one round sooner.

Depending on your team, having a turn to prepare and in particular seeing the card in front of you might mean being able to negate the damage entirely or almost entirely.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Katsue wrote:

Ronway wrote:
 Katsue wrote:
Ronway wrote:

Depending on your team, having a turn to prepare and in particular seeing the card in front of you might mean being able to negate the damage entirely or almost entirely.

Certainly, but that raises the question does the damage need to be negated? If the damage from minions coming back from Forced Deployment has a good chance to lead to a loss, then one may want to consider not having Sub-Zero Atmosphere in play. Also it is important to note that Sub-Zero Atmosphere itself most likely prevented a fair amount of damage already, unless there was some major bad luck going on.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

With Voss if you can get it out early you do so.  If by the time you get Atmosphere in hand there are already a good number of minions in the trash, then you might not want to, if there are a lot of minions in the trash and you are at lower health you really don't want to put it in play.

Atmosphere is going to prevent a lot of minion damage, the more minions that are going to enter play via normal play the more daage you prevent with atmosphere, and that can put you ahead in damage even with forced deployment.

bluedarky
bluedarky's picture

Unless you're playing Advanced Voss and the first card he plays on the flip side is Forced Deployment.  Then OWIE!

Kratos13

So here's something I discovered with Sub-zero Atmosphere and Deadline.

If you wait until Deadline has (at least) 3 Catastrophes in play (and is unflipped) and THEN play Sub-Zero Atmosphere, the following happens:

• Deadline flips
  • Destroys all Catastrophies (before the Catastrophies take effect)
  • Deals irreducible damage to heroes, removes environment cards.
  • Plays a card, hopefully a Catastrophe.

So as long as Deadline plays a Catastrophe during his play phase, Deadline will stay flipped, destroy the Catastrophe (with no Catastrophe effect), deal 1 irreducible damage to all and remove 1 environment card. So essentially all his Catastrophies are neutered, and Deadline is destroying the environment at only 1 card/round (not including Unnatural Disasters).

If he plays an Device instead of a Catastrophe, he'll unflip next round and break the cycle unless you can get Deadline to play a Catastrophe out of turn.

As far as getting unflipped Deadline to have at least 3 Catastrophies in play in the first place, easiest way would be if he has 2 in play, destroy just one of them and hope he plays 2 Catastrophies next turn.