The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Story Challenges Discussion

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer
Story Challenges Discussion

What sort of luck have you had with facing the Story Challenges so far?  Which ones did you blow away in your first try?  Which ones have been significantly more trouble?

[Edited to make this discussion be about the existence of Story Challenges in general.]

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

The Story Challenges?

Oh, I see now.  Hmm.... "Try these story challenges, based on iconic story-arcs from your favorite issues of Sentinel Comics"  Oh really?

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

If anyone is unsure as to what this is all about, go to our downloads page here: http://www.sentinelsofthemultiverse.com/downloads

The Sentinels of the Multiverse Story Challenges .pdf has lots of exciting things to try!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

So, in effect, you have created achievements for Sentinels of the Multiverse.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Absolutely!  We'd been doing stuff like this when we play, anyway.  Figured we'd make it available to everyone!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

meakatommy

Haha, fantastic, totally going to start doing this.

Poop can wait, Time Crisis is now!

The Conscience
Playtester

What a cool concept. I can't wait to try this with my group.

The Myth, The Legend, The Dream. You can't escape The Conscience!

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Alright, Day 1 end, my total so far is 0SP.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Looking forward to incorporating the Story Challenges!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Cervie77
Playtester

What are the chances of getting some flavor text to read aloud, explaining the challenges?

The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: boron.
--Brother Silence, Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

It's not out of the question, but with the expansion work we've got going on now, it probably won't happen for a while. I'd encourage you to use them to modify the stories you're already telling and create scenarios with your teams.

Veet

Do I still get the points for The Fires of Mt Doom if it wasn't exactly the volcano that defeated the villain but the Volcano erupting on Absolute Zero that did it?

My 8 year old son and I both agree that we like Chuck E Cheese better than Plague Rat. He is much easier to beat up.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Nope!

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

beevolant

Veet wrote:
Do I still get the points for The Fires of Mt Doom if it wasn't exactly the volcano that defeated the villain but the Volcano erupting on Absolute Zero that did it?

It would be cool if there were future challenges that involved things like weird chain reactions with AZ - those are always awesome.

"Crime doesn't keep the Sabbath"

Crimson_Phoenix
Playtester

You should include these in the expansion box!  I recently got the expansion to Space Alert and they had an achievement system too.  It really added to the game and not many board games have achievements - something else to set this game apart as something greater!  Have you ever thought of doing a leveling system that carries over from game to game?  you could get extra points for doing the story challenges!! 

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I happen to love stuff like that, the idea of consistently leveling heroes is really cool to me. Right now it's not our focus, but we'll see what happens once the expansion's released.

coolkid

We just had sooo much fun doing the challenges!  I recently was in a game where we got the T-Rex to eat Omnitron, and it was SO epic!  Then next game, we played as the Freedom 5 and took out Omnitron with Police Backup! 

awmiller
awmiller's picture

Are there going to be some new challenges added now that Rook City is out into the wild? I'd love to see a Rook City Heroes achievement where you win using only heroes from Rook City (Mr Fixer, Expatriette, and The Wraith). Which brings to mind, are there any other heroes based out of Rook City?

Veet

Based on what I'm seeing on some of the cards in rook city I think Tachyon may have a presence there.

My 8 year old son and I both agree that we like Chuck E Cheese better than Plague Rat. He is much easier to beat up.

awmiller
awmiller's picture

The Matriarch is Tachyon's nemesis, so that would make a certain amount of sense.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

So... Rook City challenges soon?

You're free to do whatever you want to.

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

evandan55 wrote:
So... Rook City challenges soon?

This.

Also, does everyone lose the World Traveler achievement until they play Rook City and Pike Industrial Complex?

Grinnell College 2016

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Yes, very soon!  We are putting the finishing touches on them, and then they will be released :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

But no, we have no intention of anyone losing any previous Sentinel Points. All future Story Challenges will be standalone or meta-challenges.

clarinetnerd
Playtester

When are those expansion challenges coming???  I only have one more of the original challenges to complete, and I won't know what to do when I finish!!!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

Aaron Stark

Interesting.  I always maintain that I don't care a lick about XBOX achievments or Playstaion trophies, but this (which is clearly inspired by them) is very intriguing to me.

drkrash1969

Time to necro a thread!

Since I'm new to the game, I had a couple questions about these.  I understand the system is pretty DIY, but I wondered about the intention of one of them:

1) For "Heroic Dedication," is it just to play a game with that hero and win? Thus, if I played a game with Haka, Ra, and Legacy, and we won, we'd get all three of those awards?

2) So it's been some time: should we still wait for new challenges for the expansions?

Fight! 2nd edition available now.

hahnsoo
Playtester

I'm currently drafting some Unofficial Story Challenges for the Expansions and Promo Cards.  You can view my work in progress (version 0.01) here:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BypJSleG9RhhOTJyUmRLdjdkb00/edit?usp=sharing

Suggestions and comments are welcome.  I try to match the format of the original document as much as possible, while keeping it entirely separate from the official Story Challenges.  Also, the last couple of pages are design notes, so you can see what stupid thing I was thinking at the time.

"Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed."
G.K.Chesterton

ersatz_tom
Playtester

Hey all,

Are the Sentinel Points achieved through the Story Challenges redeemable, like the Sentinel points I got at PAX East? My brother and I played for fifteen hours over the holiday weekend (awesome) and I'm hoping to get more promo cards :-)

Feminism is the radical idea that women are gamers too

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

If they are, then I just completed all the Story Challenges 25 times last night and will be expecting to cash in all of my new Sentinels points soon. ;)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Nope, sorry! When we say "Sentinels Points", we (confusingly, we realize in retrospect), mean several different things.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

fba827

perhaps the story challenges should be calls Story Points, or Hero Points, or Challenge Points, or Story Achievements, or Sentinel Achievements, or simply Bragging Rights. :)

Is having fun saving the multiverse

ersatz_tom
Playtester

I like "Bragging Rights" :-)

Feminism is the radical idea that women are gamers too