The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Still more Forced Deployment questions

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
awp832
Playtester
Still more Forced Deployment questions

If Forced Deployment is destroyed pre-villan turn,  when exactly does it activate?

For example,  if Forced Deployment is destroyed by Fueled Freeze or by End of Days, are the minions in Voss' trash that will be deployed subject to immidiate damage/destruction from these attacks or no?

Secondly,  is there any rule about the order that redeployed minions are organized in?  Can you put the guys you want to attack first at the top of the order?

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

Tamar

They are deployed as soon as it's destroyed.  That gives you whatever's left of that turn to try to take them out before they'd start doing stuff to you on Voss's turn, which can be super helpful.

I don't believe they'd take the damage though, because they're not actually coming out until AFTER Forced Deployment is destroyed so the effects of whatever destroyed it would have already happened.
I suppose if there are other minions out to be damaged and the card indicates that you destroy an ongoing before doing damage, it would roll over onto the newly deployed baddies, but IIRC, all of that type of card has the card destroying step AFTER the damage happens. (I'm at work so I don't have the cards in front of me, ATM.)

I'd have to defer to Christopher or Paul for a for sure ruling on that.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Fueled Freeze can acutally still deal the damage. Due to the fact it says "Destroy up to 3 ongoing cards." so you would destroy the three ongoing cards. Since the next phrase is on a new line, it will take place after Forced Deployment is destroyed and the minions return, so that damage will still occur. Fanatic's End of Days however is all in one line so you'll destroy Forced Deployment and any other card before the minions come out to play.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

That's correct, Ronway, and thinking of actions as separate lines is a great rule of thumb. Though End of Days can be incredibly effective if another hero manages to destroy Forced Deployment before the environment turn.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Huh.... The programmer in me always thought it differently.  If I saw a card with a line that said "Destroy three cards" and one of the cards destroyed had an effect when being destroyed, I would have processed said action before continuing on to the next two cards.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Official Ruling Time

TheJayMann is actually correct about the interaction between Forced Deployment and End of Days.  When Forced Deployment is destroyed, it immediately puts all of the minions in play, but they are then in turn destroyed by the (still ongoing) End of Days effect.

This is because of two universal principles of the game:
[ type=decimal]

• "Simultaneous" actions do not actually occur simultaneously, but rather occur in the order of the players' choosing; thus, the players choose the order in which cards are destroyed by End of Days.
  • "Triggered effects" from cards (e.g. "when this card is destroyed", "whenever this card takes damage", etc) are processed immediately upon the fulfillment of the trigger condition.
  • [/]
    Consequently, when End of Days is destroyed, it immediately begins destroying all cards in play in the order of the players' choosing.  This effect continues until there are no more cards in play.  When Forced Deployment is destroyed, all of the minions are immediately put into play.  As there are still cards in play after the destruction of Forced Deployment, the End of Days effect continues destroying cards until there are not.

Note that, with End of Days, it is in fact impossible for the players to choose a destruction order in which any minions are left in play by Forced Deployment.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi