The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

State of GTG - September 2017

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Paul
Paul's picture
Admin
State of GTG - September 2017

And, we're back! I apologize for the lack of a post last month; it was one of the things that unfortunately had to be triaged out during the massive pre-Gen Con crush of 80hr work weeks. All of that is behind us though, and things are going fantastically well! Here is a quick summary of things we accomplished in the past two months:

1. A million different Gen Con things. We're slowly going to be putting videos of all of the panels and our Costume Contest on our YouTube channel. In addition, we sold out of all of the Spirit Island and Lazer Ryderz we brought to the show, and almost sold out of Fate of the Elder Gods in spite of bringing a ridiculous amount
  2. We fulfilled a ton of Kickstarters!
  3. We had a revelation about the organization of the Sentinel Comics RPG line of books (post-Starter Kit).
  4. We sold out of both Spirit Island and Lazer Ryderz at the warehouse level! We already have reprints in the works for these, but the response has vastly exceeded our projections.
  5. We had some awesome meetings about Prime War development at Gen Con.
  6. We made a ton of progress on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, which will be on Kickstarter in October.

Here is the status of all of our works in progress!

In Stock Since July

1. Lazer Ryderz
  2. Exoplanets
  3. Spirit Island
  4. Fate of the Elder Gods
  5. A bunch of reprints (CompoundedSotM stuff, etc)

Shipping to Backers

1. Bottom of the 9th: Clubhouse
  2. Lazer Ryderz playmats

In Transit; On A Boat

1. Nothing, unusually.

In Mass Production

1. SotM: Stuntman, Benchmark, & Void Guard
  2. SotM: Complete Hero Variant Collection
  3. SotM: Ultimate Collector's Case
  4. SotM: 5th Anniversary Foil Villain Collection
  5. Spirit Island core game reprint
  6. Lazer Ryderz core game reprint
  7. Various SotM expansion reprints

At Factory; Pre-Press Work

1. SotM: OblivAeon
  2. Sentinel Comics: The Role Playing Game: Starter Kit
  3. Spirit Island: Branch & Claw reprint

Current WIP Focus by GTG

1. Sentinel Comics: The Role Playing Game core rulebook (Christopher, Jenn, Critical Hits)
  2. Prime War (Christopher)
  3. Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Chris Kirkman + Jenn)
  4. A new and improved website (Jenn, Paul, Joel, etc) (really for real this year, hopefully)
  5. A cool Sentinel Comics related thing for 2018

I'll see you next month!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Thanks for the post

Quote:

We had a revelation about the organization of the Sentinel Comics RPG line of books (post-Starter Kit)

Any information you can give us about this?

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Basically, we had a giant pile of content in addition to the Core Rulebook. We had a number of discussions at Gen Con, both internal and with experienced people in the RPG industry, and it really helped solidify how we want to organize and release that. What you wind up seeing when we launch the Kickstarter for the RPG in ~February will be the result of those conversations and realizations (plus a bunch of detail work we have to do between now and then, of course).

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Thanks Paul and I hope the updated website happens.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Makes sense.  The RPG market hasn't been consistent about what books go in the "core" product and what go in supplements, and how many books the "core" product consists of.  Some games use the D&D approach of Player's Guide and GM's Guide, then Monsters/Enemies and Settings as supplements.  Some lump the Monsters/Enemies stuff into the GM book, and some lump the Settings stuff into the Players book.  Some just make one massive $100 book.

I would imagine that, given how crucial the setting is to the Sentinels game, and how focused it is on major enemies and disposable mooks and not random encounters with widely varying and fiddly monsters, that there won't be a setting or a "monster" book.  But I'd guess, with not much confidence, that there will be a separate GM book that will include how to develop and manage villains, other enemies, and environments, as well as campaign structure and rewards.

Unfortunately, I'd also guess that "weird stuff" that isn't part of the core Sentinels experience, like magic, will probably be in supplements.  I know a lot of people want to create Virtuosos of the Void, but I'm guessing that the core book will enable players to create just the hero types from the core SotM game and maybe a handful of others (non-super characters like Expat and Fixer).  But I wouldn't be surprised if they named and mocked up a magic supplement to wave at us for the Kickstarter, because that would help onboard a bunch of fans.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

The Branch & Claw reprint is also in pre-press work, right?

It's also funny reading the stuff that came in and out of stock since July.

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

My imagnation on the book has been that it will be a big book similar to what I've seen for FATE or Star Wars, "everything you need to start goes here" and then the following products will narrow down on locations or specific events.

I feel like magic and heroes like Expat or Fixer are going to be possible with the base book. As I understand the system it is incredibly modular, with the specific things like "motivational charge" or "Lightspeed Barrage" being pre-made mods to the existing four or five actions in the game.

I'm not sure how many examples they will havem or how they will advise building these abilities, that's going to be the biggest kicker in how this game goes over in my opinion, but if the difference between the abilities is whether you attack with the highest and hinder with the lowest or vice versa, then saying your power source is magic vs guns vs martial arts vs flames isn't a huge deal. And that gets covered before you get to that point of the character creation, as I understand it.

Honestly, as excited as I am for the game, seeing and understanding character creation is going to be a massive challenge, in my experience. It's one of the reasons I'm twitchy about running everything, because as the DM/GM/ whatever you call it, you need to be the one who can answer most of the questions. And character creation is almost always the hardest part of the game.

Turning away from that discussion for a moment

OMG OMG OMG, things are printing and getting prepared at the Presses. WOOT WOOT WOOT :D

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

*Screams like a 12 year old girl*

It's in the works! OblivAeon is in the works! :D

And I am SO excited to get my hands on the RPG starter-kit! I'm gonna be camped out at my local game store to get it!

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Out of curiosity, Paul: Chris Pramas from Green Ronin said in a recent Sentinels of Earth Prime Kickstarter update that Christopher is currently working on the deck designs, implying that project is currently in his hands. Admittedly, he said this pre-GenCon, so things might be different, but I'm surprised to see that's nowhere on the list. Can you provide color on if that's true, current status on Earth-Prime (from what GTG/Christopher needs to do), and where that falls in his priority of OblivAeon/Sentinel Comics RPG/Prime War?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@dpt

Yes! You are right! Branch & Claw is also in pre-press.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

bobbertoriley wrote:

Out of curiosity, Paul: Chris Pramas from Green Ronin said in a recent Sentinels of Earth Prime Kickstarter update that Christopher is currently working on the deck designs, implying that project is currently in his hands. Admittedly, he said this pre-GenCon, so things might be different, but I'm surprised to see that's nowhere on the list. ...

I'm not Paul, but this is not a Greater than Games project, so doesn't appear on that list (which is then not a comprehensive list of everything that Christopher is working on).
bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

True enough. Question still stands, though; would love to know if there's any insight from the GTG camp on progress for deck development and how it stacks compared to the priorities above.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I'm guessing Paul just missed the question because he posted at the same time. ;-)

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Christopher is also working on some Green Ronin stuff, and Handelabra stuff, and various other stuff! The bulk of that is being slotted in between him finishing sheparding his side of OblivAeon and the RPG starter kit, and him starting in on the core RPG stuff plus some Prime War stuff.

Hankroyd

Do you know when was the last time Chritopher slept ?

And by 'when' I mean 'Which year'. :)

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I like to think he takes a page from Argent Adept, and just meditates occasionally while listening to jazz and purring kittens.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I like to think he takes a page from Absolute Zero, and just meditates occasionally while listening to jazz and crackling ice.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Finding out in the State of GTG video that the Kim Howell in Be the Gate is called "Cursor" was pretty amusing.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Jeysie wrote:

Finding out in the State of GTG video that the Kim Howell in Be the Gate is called "Cursor" was pretty amusing.

Did we get names for all of them?

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

jffdougan wrote:
Jeysie wrote:

No, just her, sadly, as part of what IIRC was a discussion about puns and pun-using characters. (The pun IIRC being that a cursor is essentially a light-based arrow.)

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I'm really hoping most of them get at least a mention in the Mission Deck, those designs are pretty cool. I'm especially curious about the Lady Gunslinger and the Masked version of Ermine.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Jeysie wrote:

jffdougan wrote:

Jeysie wrote:

No, just her, sadly, as part of what IIRC was a discussion about puns and pun-using characters. (The pun IIRC being that a cursor is essentially a light-based arrow.)

I'm guessing she's also the most foul-mouthed Sentinel Comics character.
godzilla999666

So if I tell my nephew Christmas 2018, do you think you might finally deliver Prime Wars by then? I mean since we keep adding projects and finishing projects ahead of Prime wars, do you think in another year it might happen? will 3 or 4 years to develop it be enought time?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

@godzilla999666 I am not currently comfortable giving firm predictions for Prime War, certainly not firm enough to base promises of Christmas presents. We are working on Prime War, and will continue to do so until it is complete and we are happy with it, but it will not be our exclusive focus. If that is something that makes you or anyone else uncomfortable, I am more than happy to issue you or anyone else a full refund on your preorder!