The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Star Realms

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester
Star Realms

So who else here plays this excellent little sci-fi themed deck building game?

There's a physical version card game and a digital implemtation (like Sentinels!), and the demo verison of the app is free. You getall the cards in the demo but can only play against a pretty robust little AI, you have to buy the game to play multiplayer. It costs $5 to buy the game and one purchase gets it on all formats.

www.starrealms.com

If you want to challenge me my Star Realms name is LtUlman

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I am imprimis5. Just a heads up, I hate the Gambits. I don't mind the extra cards that the Gambit pack adds, but the Gambits themselves are awful.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I like the idea behind the Gambits but think they are very swingy, getting both the "+2 trade" and "buy something less than 4" can lead to a huge advantage (which I can still manage to turn into a loss).

The ships and bases it adds are a lot of fun, new tactics to play with even though they fall along similar faction lines.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

You sure about the spelling of your name there Craig? I just challenged imprimis5 and it said there was no such opponent! (And I both typed and copy pasted to check if I made a mistake)

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Matchstickman wrote:

You sure about the spelling of your name there Craig? I just challenged imprimis5 and it said there was no such opponent! (And I both typed and copy pasted to check if I made a mistake)

Whoops! No 5. Just imprimis.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Asynchronous play is a great thing for app games like this. I have the physical version of Star Realms, but the digital version looks like a pretty good investment, too.

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Is it me, or is that game almost exactly Ascension, but in space?

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

Deck builders all have a certain resemblance ("bucks" and "fight" resources, a central pool of cards to buy/fight, etc.), but Star Realms is much more about direct PvP action than Ascension is. It's quite a bit faster as well, with significantly different card effects, rules, and gameplay.

So, "similar to" would be a much better description than "almost exactly" alike. Give the free version a try! (Ascension has a good digital version as well)

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

Uh oh. (I would describe Ascension as "like Dominion, but....not good.")

I'm always happy to try something new, though, and a free app is a low barrier to entry. :-)

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Trajector wrote:

Silverleaf wrote:

Uh oh. (I would describe Ascension as "like Dominion, but....not good.")

I'm always happy to try something new, though, and a free app is a low barrier to entry. :-)

Interesting. I understand the appeal of Dominion, but I would describe it as "like Ascension, but...not fun." :P

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Dominion is like taking Yatzee and for no reason turning the numbers into camera and actor icons and say it is a game about making movies.

There is no theme, just pasted on images because otherwise it would be a fancy UNO game.

Ascension adds more types of points to Dominion, which ups complexity and randomness.  Again the theme is little more than pasted on images to give names to star points and red points.

Deck building the deckbuilding game is a joke, but it has more substance to the theme than either Ascension or Dominion.  GSF or even the silly Mr. Card Game are better examples of using the deckbuilding mechanic to make a game with a theme.

Pasted on theme with no substance annoys me, which is why I don't play deckbuilders much, and why I take the time to come bug innocent people with my rants.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I am guessing you are not a big Reiner Knizia fan.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

metlarcturus wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:

Deck builders all have a certain resemblance ("bucks" and "fight" resources, a central pool of cards to buy/fight, etc.), but Star Realms is much more about direct PvP action than Ascension is. It's quite a bit faster as well, with significantly different card effects, rules, and gameplay.

So, "similar to" would be a much better description than "almost exactly" alike. Give the free version a try! (Ascension has a good digital version as well)

Oh, I've played both Star Realms and Ascension. And I was struck by the resemblance of those two as compared to others I'm familiar with, like Dominion. The 6-card centre row which is replenished, the two kinds of currency ("fighting money" and "money money"), the lack of Dominion's VP-only cards in favour of cards that do stuff and are worth VP as well and cards that give VP in the form of tokens from a central pool (or remove "HP" from your opponent, which feels incredibly similar to me).

Basically the core of the game didn't feel different enough for me to warrant owning both. In fact, if someone had said, "I know, let's retheme Ascension into a space game! We'll have to make a few minor changes because copyright, but we can keep most of the rules the same. And let's directly fight each other instead of having a central VP pool. That'll work." they'd probably end up with something very like Star Realms.

Sure, the card effects are different. But so are the card effects in the Ascension expansions, and they are still obviously Ascension.

Not that I'm criticising Star Realms, or saying people shouldn't play it. It's a good game. But it's interesting to me that it seems to get much more buzz than Ascension when the only major difference is the theme. I wonder why that is?

Damn it, Ronway!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Pydro wrote:

I am guessing you are not a big Reiner Knizia fan.

Interestingly, Reiner actually starts the design process with the theme. Somehow he manages to create games where the theme feels pasted on despite that. I don't know how he does it!

And Tigris and Euphrates is a masterpiece. His games are hit-and-miss with me but I love that one.

Damn it, Ronway!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Sadly I haven't played his stuff enough to have a valid opinion.

I will say that I am fine with games where the theme/setting could easily be changed, many good games could be about very different subjects if you wanted, but when theme is completely unnecessary to the game but is given lip service, it annoys me.

Reiner Knizia games, from my limited exposure, seem closer to that category, and it only annoys me when the chosen theme doesn't fit.

Take Settlers, that game needs a theme, the theme fits well enough, and they don't push the theme further than mechanics support.  Similarly Power Grid and Ticket to Ride don't bother me.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yeah, I get that Dominion's theme is...thin. There's no particular reason why Actions aren't Power Cells and Victory Points aren't Quadrilithium Crystals. Or whatever. What appeals to me about that game, though, is that it does the "simple rules, emergent complexity" thing really well - and I think Ascension didn't.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

On the subject of deck builders and theme, has anyone here tried Apex, the Theropod Deck Building Game? You play as a carnivorous dinosaur species, hunting, evolving, and competing with other predators (NPC and other players). It has one of the better single player modes I've seen in a card game, too. And the card art... Mmm, dinosaurs.

Anyway, the Kickstarter for the first expansion just wrapped up.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Trajector wrote:

Yeah, I get that Dominion's theme is...thin. There's no particular reason why Actions aren't Power Cells and Victory Points aren't Quadrilithium Crystals. Or whatever. What appeals to me about that game, though, is that it does the "simple rules, emergent complexity" thing really well - and I think Ascension didn't.

Agreed about Ascension vs Dominion. Dominion is basically Spotting Combos and Working Out How To Pull Them Off:The Card Game, and I prefer that to Ascension's You Just Bought A Mediocre Card and That Revealed An Amazing Card That Your Opponent Can Now Buy That Will Help Them Win:The Card Game. I'd like Ascension much more if there was less randomness, because it's really hard to plan. I've built awesome "buying stuff" decks because there's a lot of high-cost cards on the board, and once they were gone nothing came up but monsters, and me with my rune-heavy deck that is now useless. I do like both games though.

There's a fun Zombie retheme of Dominion available as Print and Play on Board Game Geek!

But for me I hate it when there's a special themed name for something that already has a well-known generic and intuitive name. MtG's graveyard for trash/discard pile, library for hand/deck/whatever the hell library means, crystals for mana/magic points/spell points. Sure, they add flavour, but at the cost of making me have to remember what they mean every single time they come up, and I'd much rather be giving my attention to the actual game rather than learning another "language". (Reminds me of a small child I babysat once as a teenager, who had a massive screaming fit because I couldn't provide the "noonoo' they demanded because I didn't know what it was - this was in the 90s so I couldn't even call the parents on their mobile/cell to ask. Turns out they meant a dummy/pacifier, but I didn't learn that until the parents came home and the child and I had had a rotten evening.)

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I hate it when fantasy books use "normal" names, but just change the spelling. Or when they use the exact same concept but change the name, just to change the name.

It doesn't take 3 months to do, it takes 3 moons.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

(On the subject of the thread, my Star Realms username is also metlarcturus, should anyone wish to challenge me.) 

Pydro wrote:

I hate it when fantasy books use "normal" names, but just change the spelling. Or when they use the exact same concept but change the name, just to change the name.

If there's a solid lore behind a fantasy world's terms, they can be an interesting and flavorful inclusion. In a non fantasy example, a samurai novel that uses a sprinkling of important Japanese words. Otherwise, it's a lazy shortcut for adding a fantasy feel to your writing. And there are plenty of offenders. 

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:
 and I prefer that to Ascension's You Just Bought A Mediocre Card and That Revealed An Amazing Card That Your Opponent Can Now Buy That Will Help Them Win:The Card Game.

Sorry this is part of the game. If it's mediocre and you don't need it, don't buy it. It's as much about push your luck and knowing what your oponent wants as it is about efficient deck building.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Pydro wrote:

It's all about creating the feel.  Consistant spelling has only existed for a few hundred years, and having a character named 'Samuel' or 'Mary' in a fantasy world without monotheism is linguistically absurd anyways.  So giving characters fancily spelled names is a translation convention saying 'these characters come from a culture that is similar to, but not the same as, the culture that produced those names on Earth'.  I'd argue that in some cases it's the most accurate way of naming characters in cultures inspired by Earth cultures.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

We were playing Ascension with 3 new players (one me) and my friend who loves deckbuilding games is trying to teach the game (which takes forever) eventually I got the gist and explained to the other newbs, but eliminating any game terms and calling things blue points, red points and star points, and they got it.

I ruined the game for my friend by doing that.

A lot of pasty themed games the theme detracts from the game, and simultaneously saves it, by making it seem more complex than it is, which prevents people from seeing the basic design isn't very good.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Matchstickman wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
 and I prefer that to Ascension's You Just Bought A Mediocre Card and That Revealed An Amazing Card That Your Opponent Can Now Buy That Will Help Them Win:The Card Game.

Sorry this is part of the game. If it's mediocre and you don't need it, don't buy it. It's as much about push your luck and knowing what your oponent wants as it is about efficient deck building.

Well, okay, the same applies if you buy a good card which reveals a card that's much better for your opponent than the card you just bought was for you. The choice of "mediocre" was to strengthen the point a bit. It would be silly not to buy a good card just in case it reveals something better, but I always feel that risk is there and that makes the game less fun for me.

And if the board has a bunch of cards that neither of you much want, you're stuck with a game of chicken with neither of your prepared to risk the other flopping something good.

I think I'd prefer a bit less luck, personally, so your plan doesn't get messed up because of the random card flop. I've seen a variation of Ascension where you have two rows of six cards - you can only buy from the bottom row, and the cards in the top row slide down to replace them. I like that idea better because you can make interesting decisions about whether a particular card is worth buying based on what it will make available to you or your opponent, rather than just gambling on random draw.

Damn it, Ronway!

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

But for me I hate it when there's a special themed name for something that already has a well-known generic and intuitive name. MtG's graveyard for trash/discard pile, library for hand/deck/whatever the hell library means, crystals for mana/magic points/spell points. Sure, they add flavour, but at the cost of making me have to remember what they mean every single time they come up, and I'd much rather be giving my attention to the actual game rather than learning another "language".

I like Netrunner. Netrunner is a game I enjoy. But gods, is it guilty of this. Not only do hand, deck and discard pile have fancy names, but they have different names depending on which side you'e playing! So the Runner has heap, stack and grip, while the Corporation has R&D, Archives, and HQ. It drives me mad.

[/rant]

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Except for anything by Lewis Carroll or Tolkien, you get five made-up words per story.  I'm looking at you, Anathem.

https://xkcd.com/483/

dclietz
Playtester

I'm a fan of Star Realms over Ascension. I agree that they are quite similar overall but Star Realms has a few advantages that lead to more interesting choices:

• Pairing up cards of the same color is a much bigger deal in Star Realms, so there is more of a shift to card valuation over the course of the game.  However, this cuts both ways - if the blue card is good for me and bad for you, you should pick it up (unless you can blow it up) just to keep me from getting it. So it doesn't change the purchasing decisions as much as it could (in a 2P game, which is where Star Realms shines) but in situations where there is a mediocre red card vs. a good green card but one of you are heavy red...
  • It seems that the card balance is slightly better overall in Star Realms
  • The "trash this card for a benefit" mechanic is very prevalent - when do you pull the trigger?
Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

dpt wrote:

Pydro wrote:
I hate it when fantasy books use "normal" names, but just change the spelling. Or when they use the exact same concept but change the name, just to change the name.It doesn't take 3 months to do, it takes 3 moons.

Except for anything by Lewis Carroll or Tolkien, you get five made-up words per story.  I'm looking at you, Anathem.https://xkcd.com/483/

You can say the same thing about science fiction. You need a balance, and if you're going to make up words, you need to present them in a context that makes it easier for the reader to infer the meaning of the world and not rely too much on exposition.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

You also need to make up words in a smart way. Ins'tead of the us'ual 'dumb wa'ay.