The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Stacking of effects

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gaarus
Stacking of effects

So when playing Absolute Zero you have Focused Apertures on which increases cold damage by 1. Then you play Modular Realignment which lets you put an equipment from the trash into play and it deals himself 1 fire and cold damage. You decide to get Null-Point Calibration Unit which says instead of taking cold damage you gain that much life.
So my question is does the equipment come into play first then he is dealt damage which would mean he takes 1 fire then gains 2 hp from the cold damage or does he just take 3 damage? I feel like the first scenario would be the one that is true but I thought I should make sure.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

From what I can see, everything is done in order, and one step is not taken until the previous step has finished.  In this case, "Search the trash and play an equipment" must be completed prior to "Deal self one cold and one fire damage," which would mean that the equipment card is in play before the damage (healing) can occur.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

For reference:

Focused Apertures wrote:
Increase cold damage dealt by Absolute Zero by 1.

Modular Realignment wrote:
Select 1 Equipment card from your Trash and put it either into your hand or into play. Absolute Zero deals himself 1 fire damage and 1 cold damage.

Null-Point Calibration Unit wrote:
When Absolute Zero would take cold damage, regain that many HP instead.

So, in the example cited above, the following events would happen in the following order:

[ type=decimal]

• The player would remove Null-Point Calibration Unit from their Trash and put it into play.
  • Modular Realignment would deal Absolute Zero 1 fire damage.
  • Modular Realignment would deal Absolute Zero 1 cold damage, which would actually be 2 cold damage because of Focused Apertures.  Because Modular Realignment is in play, Absolute Zero would regain 2 HP instead of losing 2 HP
  • [/]

The sequence of events gets even more complex if Isothermic Transducer is in play.  In that case:

[ type=decimal]

• The player would remove Null-Point Calibration Unit from their Trash and put it into play.
  • Modular Realignment would deal Absolute Zero 1 fire damage.
  • Absolute Zero could then deal the target of his choice 1 cold damage, which would actually be 2 cold damage because of Focused Apertures.
  • Modular Realignment would deal Absolute Zero 1 cold damage, which would actually be 2 cold damage because of Focused Apertures.  Because Modular Realignment is in play, Absolute Zero would regain 2 HP instead of losing 2 HP
  • [/]

Cryochamber makes this sequence of events *even more* thrilling... and that's why I love Absolute Zero :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

arenson9
    arenson9's picture
    ModeratorPlaytester

Paul wrote:
    Cryochamber makes this sequence of events *even more* thrilling... and that's why I love Absolute Zero :)

Let me see if I can work this out. Imagine that Legacy has used his Galvanize power and Absolute Zero has Focused Aperture, Isothermic Transducer, and Cryo Chamber, then uses Modular Realignment to get the Null-point Calibration Unit and put it in to play:

[ type=decimal]

• The Modular Realignment deals Absolute Zero 1 Fire Damage, which is decreased by one due to the Cryo Chamber, but increased by one due to Legacy's Galvanize. Absolute Zero takes one point of fire damage
  • Due to the Isothermic Transducer, Absolute Zero may then deal one target one cold damage, which is increased by one due to Focused Apertures and increased by another one due to Legacy's Galvanize, so Absolute Zero may deal one target three cold damage.
  • The Modular Realignment then deals Absolute Zero 1 Cold Damage, which is increased by one due to the Cryo Chamber, increased by one due to the Focused Aperture, increased by one due to Legacy's Galvanize, and turned into healing by the Null-Point Calibration Unit, so Absolute Zero regains up to four hit points.
  • [/]

I'm pretty sure that's right -- just using this post as a way to work through it all.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TheJayMann
    TheJayMann's picture
    Playtester

That is correct.  Also, Isothermic Transducer can damange any target, including Absolute Zero himself, at which Cryo Chamber comes into effect again, allowing a grand total of 8 healing at this point.  Also, if you have Coolant Blast in play, it becomes that much more interesting.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Paul
    Paul's picture
    Admin

Everyone here is full of correctness!  Also, I love Absolute Zero :)

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi