The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Speed run

36 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Speed run

Pick any heroes you want. What's the fewest number of hero turns it takes to win?

First target: GloomWeaver in the Final Wasteland.

I used Legacy, Fixer, Tempest, Ra, and Haka to win in 17 hero turns. Can you beat that?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I’m sure I might be able to optimize further.  Legacy, Chrono-Ranger, Ra, Idealist, and Action Hero Stuntman took 11 hero turns.  I might try with KNYFE instead and put Ra second. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Powerhound_2000

That did go quicker.  9 hero turns with Legacy, Ra, Chrono-Ranger, KNYFE, and Action Hero Stuntman 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Malpractice Medico, PWAA, Greatest Legacy, F6 Tempest, Adamant Sentinels: 8 hero turns. And would have been less if Inspiring Presence had started off in hand.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

That did go quicker.  9 hero turns with Legacy, Ra, Chrono-Ranger, KNYFE, and Action Hero Stuntman 

Tried your team! Took me ten hero turns, and, WOW, I have not played Action Hero Stuntman much, if ever. He sure can do all the things!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MindWanderer wrote:

Malpractice Medico, PWAA, Greatest Legacy, F6 Tempest, Adamant Sentinels: 8 hero turns. And would have been less if Inspiring Presence had started off in hand.

Why F6 Tempest?!

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Legacy, Ra, Tempest, The Sentinels, Termi-Nation Bunker: 5 hero turns. /shenanigans

https://steamcommunity.com/id/migrantp/screenshot/961977062860875078

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

So the absolute best I could do in the video game was 8 turns, with Malpractice Medico, Legacy, Scholar of the Infinite, Tempest, and The Sentinels. I then started wondering if there was absolutely any way I could possibly Magical Christmas Land this, and with any luck my math is correct and we have this:

Gloomweaver plays 5 zombies and Ronway, resulting in everyone taking a crapton of damage that's more than enough to let everyone get healing.

Malpractice Medico plays Healing Pulse and uses Red Right Hand. At the end of his turn he chooses any 3 people to gain 1HP which results in 3 damage to Gloomweaver. (87/90)

Legacy plays Inspiring Presence. This results in 8 1hp gains for 8x2 (Presence) = Angry Dad does 16 damage to Gloomweaver (71/90). Legacy uses Galvanize.

Infinite Scholar plays 3 Keep Movings into 3 Solid to Liquids then finally plays Proverbs and Axioms. Everyone chooses to gain 2hp except for Scholar who gains 5hp (2hp+3 StLs), which results in Angry Dad doing 7x4 (Presence, Galvanize, 2hp) + 1x7 (Presence, Galvanize, 5hp) = 35 damage to Gloomweaver (36/90). Scholar uses Channel to do 3 damage of his own (1 damage, Presence, Galvanize) to Gloomweaver. (33/90)

Tempest plays and uses Cleansing Downpour which results in another 35 damage same as above, leaving Gloomweaver as worm food, with Medico having done all but 3 of the damage himself.

Conclusion: Angry Dad is terrifying.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

MigrantP wrote:

Legacy, Ra, Tempest, The Sentinels, Termi-Nation Bunker: 5 hero turns. /shenanigans

Wow!

Does incapacitated Termination Bunker allow you to win somehow? Does he have the power to put a deck in its trash?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

MigrantP wrote:

Wow!

Does incapacitated Termination Bunker allow you to win somehow? Does he have the power to put a deck in its trash?

He does! That's hilarious. I wonder if there's a way to incapacitate Bunker in fewer turns ...

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

That's possible I think, I put him last after 4 heroes to have a better chance of hitting him enough. It took 2 tries. You would need to choose fewer heroes to have fewer hero turns with this method, because GloomWeaver only checks the trash at the start of his turn.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

You could also win with 3 hero turns using Omnitron-X + Rogue Agent K.N.Y.F.E. + Dark Conductor Argent Adept or similar, but you need to be super lucky (all 3 relics on the top/bottom exactly when you check).

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

I admit I feel sort of amused that I didn't initially realize what MigrantP did so I set out to see if I could figure out a way to generate 90 damage in four turns or less and actually managed it. :P

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:

Why F6 Tempest?!

Having seen the other posts, I'm guessing that Sacrifice Tempest was to help you find Cleansing Downpour in order to turn healing into damage by Malpractice Medico.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Jeysie wrote:

Conclusion: Angry Dad is terrifying.

Yikes. Indeed.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:

Having seen the other posts, I'm guessing that Sacrifice Tempest was to help you find Cleansing Downpour in order to turn healing into damage by Malpractice Medico.

Yes, exactly. It didn't really matter in this case because Tempest had to start with Cleansing Downpour in hand to be competitive, but I wanted to choose a team that would be consistently fast without restarting, just on principle.

I forgot that TN Bunker's power worked on villain decks! Given that: Malpractice Medico, Prime Wardens Tempest, Adamant Sentinels, TN Bunker. 4 hero turns.

PW Tempest because a hand filled with direct damage is potentially better than Cleansing Downpour given that he's only going to use it once. In Magical Christmas Land (as Jeysie so eloquently put it), PW Tempest can do 19 of the required 26 damage, and this can be won in 3 hero turns.

For a direct damage approach, though, Guise the Barbarian with Red Right Hand is probably the most optimal scenario.

Submit your games here!

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Not my term, I admit, "Magical Christmas Land" is Magic: the Gathering fandom jargon for basically "assuming literally every factor plays out exactly the way I need it to". Generally for hypotheticals like this one.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

If you're going hypothetical, there's probably a way to force three villain discards on the first round...

Such as chaining three Gimmicky Characters.

Powerhound_2000

That still would take three hero turns since the alternate win condition for Glooomweaver doesn’t trigger until the start of Gloomweaver’s turn. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

You could do it in two. Hero 1 is Guise, who uses 3 Gimmicky Characters and finishes with I Can Do That Too on, for example, F5 Legacy. This lets the last hero, Stuntman, play In Medias Res, skipping all other hero turns.

Submit your games here!

bjorn.arnesen.us

I got Mad Bomber Blade down once in a ridiculous short number of rounds.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

That Magical Christmas Land 2-turn solution! :D

darkroydante
darkroydante's picture

Zero hero turns. But I'm guess I wasn't supposed to include Wager Master in this. It was a very optimized villain turn.  

"Hey team, it's two 4 runes!"

Powerhound_2000

The OP mentions the speed run as Gloomweaver at Final Wasteland specifically so yes Wager Master Games wouldn’t count.  

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

The OP mentions the speed run as Gloomweaver at Final Wasteland specifically so yes Wager Master Games wouldn’t count.  

OTH, I'd envisioned once we'd had fun with this scenario that we'd broaden the scope to other scenarios, so let me throw out a second one: Akash'Bhuta in the Freedom Tower. Freedom Tower is specifically chosen to limit the number of targets in the Environment deck. I have not tried this scenario myself, yet.

I am happy to read about both real world achievements and theoretical, Magical Land possibilities.

carnilius
Playtester

I'm curious about a second goal -- instead of minimum number of turns, minimum number of actions taken, or clicks in the video game.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Malpractice Medico, Legacy, PW Tempest, Adamant Sentinels, and PW Fanatic vs. Akash/Bhuta in Freedom Tower: 8 hero turns.

Without restarting, I actually got an excellent setup: Akash started with a Living Rockslide to ding everyone's HP, and I started with Inspiring Presence and Cleansing Downpour in hand.  Medico's second turn was ridiculous: he popped Prescription Strength on himself (dinged the new Mountainous Carapace) and played Lifeforce of Will to give everyone a power.  In order: a second layer of Galvanize, Fanatic triggered Tempest's Cleansing Downpour (6 damage * 7 heroes = 42, but 12 of that went into finishing the two Limbs, so it actually dealt 50 damage to Akash), Tempest played Gene-Bound Shackles, Chain Lightning, and Lightning Storm (9 damage now, 5 more on his turn), and the Sentinels poked for another 5 and 4 (in retrospect, I should have used vanilla Idealist for another point).  73 damage altogether that turn.  She had only 8 HP left when Tempest's next play phase came around, so with some slightly better draws (especially by Fanatic: her one play and her two top-decks were worthless) I could have shaved another round off.  But I'm not complaining, considering it was my first attempt and no restarts.

We actually workshopped the ideal case in the Discord not too long ago.  I think we came up with 5 hero turns. A long chain of Primeval Eruption to put out all the non-Carapace Limbs, then Red Hand Barbarian Guise to start off with, End of Days to finish.

Submit your games here!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wow.

I, uh, took 25 hero turns with my standard crew of Legacy, Fixer, Tempest, Ra, and Haka.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

My usual go-to is Legacy, FS Parse, Chrono-Ranger, Hunted Naturalist and KNYFE. <.< I got it in 18 hero turns. Would've been a few less if I hadn't lost Compounded Bow early on...

Don't think I can top 8, though.

Chilly Steke
Chilly Steke's picture

OMG with incapacitated Termi-nation Bunker, Luminary will be unstoppable...

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

"All we have to do... is kill the Bunker."

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Chilly Steke wrote:

Whoa

doppelgangerung
doppelgangerung's picture

Chilly Steke wrote:

Combined with Visionary's Brain Burn or Idealist's Monster of Id, and Writhe's Lies of the Shadows, it can do some frightening things...

Not to mention F5 Tachyon's blitz - get her a damage buff or two, and throw all her burst cards in the trash, and soon you're talking about some real damage...

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

It's even nastier for F5 Tachyon than Luminary, since she can use her power every turn and Luminary has to keep drawing and playing his Doomsday Devices.

Submit your games here!

robertmaxfreeman
robertmaxfreeman's picture

Chilly Steke wrote:

HOLY CRAP!

In a similar vein:

La Commadora: have incapacitated Bunker put someone's deck into their trash. Then La Commadora puts any card in their trash on top of their deck (wait, under the top card? What happens if a person's deck is empty?)

In any case, any 'take a card/equipment from their trash and draw it/put it on top of their deck' effect, combined with incapacitated Termi-nation Bunker, let's you draw any card from your deck!

I'll have to think on this further. Thank you Chilly Steke!

"It's all chaos. Be kind."

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ahem.

Instead, do that but with Run Aground. Shuffle all equipment cards into your deck. Do like 20 damage.

Follow with Weigh Anchor.

Make sure you have Maria Helena's Plot in play, so when you blow up the next turn you deal all villain targets 1 fire damage per equipment destroyed (+1 per Figurehead in play)

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector