The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Space elves and dwarves was a... surprise

93 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zalrus9
Zalrus9's picture

I agree with Cosmonaut Zero. I also feel that although the names sound really campy, I don't think the entire game will have those technobabblesque nomenclature. 

Also, I think the universe takes itself seriously, even if the names seem dumb at first. One of my favorite Sci-Fi Series, Farscape, is pretty campy and more fantasy-like than its contemporaries, but still managed to be interesting.

That's what I think. I don't think campy inhearintly means bad, but I do agree with Spiff that they could have handled the marketing better. But hindsight is 20/20, and I'm not a Boardgame company. Heck, when I first heard of SoTM, I thought it was a fantasy thing...

"An artist's responsibility is to be irresponsible. As soon as you start to think about social or political responsibility, you've amputated the best limbs you've got as an artist."

David Cronenberg

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

They aren't hanging out in space taverns drinking space grok, kicking down hover doors and slicing up meteor Owlbears.

Playtesters surely have access to more info than me, but I'm certainly not confident there won't be other spacey-flavored D&D stuff in the game.  We didn't see the spaceorcs and spacedwarves coming, and the theme seems to be sliding around between kind-of-serious (ships, gameplay) and over-the-top (races, world background).

It seems like the criticisms here are that >G actually sincerely enjoys this product and isn't ironically snickering at its execution.

No, the criticisms here are (a) some people just have a problem with an over-the-top orcs-n-elves space game, but others (b) aren't really sure what the game is all about because the theme seems to be all over the place, and want the game's message to be crisper.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Reckless
Reckless's picture
PlaytesterInspiring Presence

I suppose I don't quite understand how it is over-the-top.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

See?  It's not even clear to a playtester.

Reckless
Reckless's picture

You just said it was over-the-top.  I'm asking you about your argument.  I don't understand your argument that it is over-the-top.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun
The Matriarch's Psychic damage is her forcing a gratuitous amount of Snapple facts about birds into a hero's brain.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

It's not my argument, it's >G's.  This is a copy/paste from Paul (or Christopher?) on the Kickstarter:

The flavor and lore of this game is very intentionally tongue-in-cheek science-fantasy. It was a very deliberate design decision that we made for several reasons. First, nearly every popular science fiction setting is "science fantasy" to some degree, from Star Wars (which has space wizards), to Star Trek, Babylon Five, etc, where all of the races are human, or humans with a funny nose/spots/a hat/etc. We decided to be very obvious and over-the-top with the "science fantasy" theme, ergo neo-elves and techno-dwarves, etc. Second, we find that initially constraining a setting with something very familiar (e.g. generic fantasy races, or comic book heroes) actually allows us to develop richer back stories and lore that is wholly unique. Indeed, initially, many people dismissed Sentinels as just a "knock off" of popular DC and Marvel characters. However, as people played the game and absorbed the back story and lore of that universe, many came to love those characters and stories on their own merits. We truly hope and believe that the same thing will be true for this setting.

Reckless
Reckless's picture

Ah.  Now I understand.  Kharachar's Claw is a ship made from a hollowed out space dragon's claw.  The Ranak Warbeast is four ships grafted together to make one semi-functioning ship.  The War Spectres pilot giant space whales and space jelly-fish.

The races seem to be mainly an aesthetic choice as far as "over-the-top" goes.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I haven't seen big complaints about the ship design (although there were squeals at the spacedragon and spacespider Opposition minis).  I think the fact that the races are presented as nearly as-is fantasy tropes is causing friction, but possibly even more than that, the overly embellished descriptions of everything in the game, which sound like they were written by a middleschooler if you didn't know they were done like that on purpose, is turning some people off.  It might not have been a big deal if those people had been hooked early and then asked to come along for the Techno-Neo-Meta ride.  But problems from the start and the lack of compelling stretch goals means that perhaps people aren't so much in the mood for these kinds of shenanigans.

Reckless
Reckless's picture

I'm not terribly impressed by the stretch goals.  I've sincerely enjoyed the backstories and setting that they have presented to us for this game, but I definitely understand if people are frustrated by a lack of information.  I just don't really understand the incredible discomfort people are experiencing over the races.  If someone incorporates psionics into a game of DnD, I don't immediately assume that the game is going to be some great parody of science fiction tropes.  If you don't like the Techno-Neo-Meta terminology, I understand, but the tone of the character and sector descriptions haven't really led us down a path of lampoonery, farce, or nonsense.  The style seems to be one of sci-fi rather than sci-fantasy.  There's no mention of mythril, the Elves don't power their ship through magic, but crystals (StarCraft comes to mind), and Meta-Humans are borged out with tech rather than scouring ancient tomes.  The world doesn't really seem to operate off of fantasy tropes, and neither do the characters.  There are similarities, to be sure, but none that really indicate this game isn't going to be about intergalactic rogues taking down big bads of the galaxy.

It would have been nice if the character/race background was a little more fleshed out to begin with, but it isn't like they've been hiding this from the Kickstarter.  It involved scrolling down the page past a few paragraphs.  It has reached its goal, and close to 800 people seem to be interested, so this project may just not be for you.

Compare this game to the Rook City Kickstarter for Sentinels.  This has received more than double the amound RC did, and that was with SotM core under its belt.  This is an entirely new game, and it looks like >G has enough of a reputation (and the Kickstarter provided enough info) for the backers to back this project.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:

These aren't your dad's puns!TURBO-PUNS!

BEAR BLASTING!

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:

You have to admit, Quasimetallic Techno-Dwarves sounds like something a 12-year-old would come up with, and if you didn't know it was done on purpose by adults who knew what they were doing, you'd just think it was ridiculous.  I don't think they needed to be too pedantic about it, but I think being a little more obvious about what they were up to would have helped.For example, there's still no mention of space-fantasy in the official description of the game on Kickstarter:

Galactic Strike Force: the tactical, cooperative, space battle, deck building game from the creators of Sentinels of the Multiverse!

That makes it sound like a pretty straightforward game, no?  Perhaps inserting "space-fantasy" (maybe even a "zany") into that list of descriptors would at least let people know what they should expect when they scroll farther down the page.If I'd bought a copy of a certain "cooperative comic book card game" then later found out that it was manga-themed, I'd have had the same kind of whiplash because the game's description did not set up my expectations properly, even if the manga-themed card game was still good.To tell the truth, the excessive techno-babble is beginning to grate on my nerves.  I was expecting a space game but got a space-fantasy game, which I've come to terms with.  Now I've learned it's a crazy Trekkie techno-babble space-fantasy world (zany!  fun, right?), and it's a little rough having to dig through three or four nonsense adjectives to get to the noun each time.  Luckily, most of that stuff should be relatively ignorable when I'm actually playing the game (which is actually kind of a shame in and of itself).

I'm with you on this, Spiff. I didn't know it was on purpose at first and thought it was strange. I've come to terms with it, but agree that it's a little rough having to dig through nonsense adjectives to get to the noun.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I'll tell you what, I wish I'd been a playtester this whole time (though I'm still not going to pay for it) so that I could air my objections in a less public manner.  Unfortunately, this is the only place for me to voice my opinion, in front of the whole world.  Not optimal.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Kudos!  I think the box art which was revealed today is a good, useful step forward in making sure that the game's world is accurately represented to potential customers.  Putting a spacedragon right there on the box makes it less likely that people will be surprised by techno-dwarves and neo-elves.  Good move.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Ha. Yeah, I was just thinking that when I saw the cover. 

Koey
Koey's picture
Playtester

Agreed. Despite the fact I think the original cover looked cooler the dragon does transpire the theme better.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I could use more dragon to be honest. It looks small and unintimidating. One our ships is a claw of that thing, so unless the sulph-orcs are also part gnome, it seems weird. Also there is a lot of empty space (pun) that could be used in the picture. Needs more dragon. 

And cowbell.

More bigger dragon on the front wearing a cowbell. I think the guys at >G have a fantastic opportunity to capture the growing cowbell gaming demographic and it would be a shame to squander such a potential advantage. 

XChylde
XChylde's picture

Foote wrote:

I could use more dragon to be honest. It looks small and unintimidating. One our ships is a claw of that thing, so unless the sulph-orcs are also part gnome, it seems weird. Also there is a lot of empty space (pun) that could be used in the picture. Needs more dragon. And cowbell.More bigger dragon on the front wearing a cowbell. I think the guys at >G have a fantastic opportunity to capture the growing cowbell gaming demographic and it would be a shame to squander such a potential advantage.  

That post really got detailed. Haha!  But I agree that it needs a more intimidating dragon in the composition. And there is never anything wrong with cowbell. Plus a quantonium dragon gong!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Ooh, now the spacedragon box has replaced the main GSF pic on the Kickstarter.  Another good move.  Still no mention of "space-fantasy" in the description or videos of actual gameplay, but we're moving the ball forward. :)

Melonball

I think it's a too little too late scenario. I'd be shocked if this thing hits 70k, let alone 75k. Goodwill for sentinels is enough to pique interest on the store shelves, but anecdotally speaking, I don't personally know a single person who backed this KS, when lots of us own SotM and all expansions.

While funded, I can't imagine the guys at >G are high fiving and popping champagne. You want these things to promote excitement, not a "wait and see" attitude

Reckless
Reckless's picture

Melonball wrote:

While funded, I can't imagine the guys at >G are high fiving and popping champagne. You want these things to promote excitement, not a "wait and see" attitude

This Kickstarter blew Rook City's Kickstarter out of the water (an expansion to an game that was quickly gaining quite the good reputation), and GSF is a completely new game.  My guess is that they are quite happy with the results.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

Melonball

New game? Yes. But SotM isn't a cult classic anymore...it has more eyes, and for the big follow up to sentinels to only have 2 twice as many backers as their first foray into crowd sourcing is kind of a flop

XChylde
XChylde's picture

The kickstarter isn't over yet, so it's a little early to compare numbers. 

Reckless
Reckless's picture

I'm reticent to say that a successfully funded Kickstarter is "kind of a flop."  I'll say that releasing more information about the game earlier would probably have improved their results, but I doubt that it will go down as a failed endeavor.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Yeah, if the game turns out to be really fun with lots of successful expansions, no one will care about how the Kickstarter went.

Reckless
Reckless's picture

Exactly.  And from what I've experienced in playtesting, it will definitely be a worthy addition to anyone's collection.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

Spiff
Spiff's picture

You know, every time a playtester says something like that, it makes the game sound pretty good but not great...

Reckless
Reckless's picture

I wouldn't know.  I'm not a board game enthusiast.  I mainly play Sentinels, a little bit of Battle Con, and occasionally a handful of other tabletop RPGs (White Wolf publishing, BESM, etc.).  This isn't an area I have expertise in.  As a lover of co-op games, I enjoy this game.  I feel like there aren't enough on the market and would love to see more around.  This is something I genuinely like playing and I look forward to owning an official copy.  It's not going to mean as much as Sentinels does to me because GSF didn't cheer me up the day I was laid off at my first job I held for four years.  Sentinels did.  I'm also not going to say it's the best game ever because we're still playtesting it extensively to make it the best game we possibly can.

But I'm not going to lie and say that I enjoy it as much as Sentinels.  I think that I would have to turn the gaming world upside down to find something better than the world of Sentinels of the Multiverse.  Plus, I'm not a huge Star Wars/Star Trek fan, I don't think Firefly is the best show ever, and I have only recently discovered a love of pulp sci-fi and am very much a neonate as far as that goes.  I do, however, buy comic books every week and actively follow the metaplot in DC/Marvel and many other third-party comic publishers.  Sentinels is more my demographic than GSF is.  However, it is a game I actively want to own when I could easily just update the proxy cards I've been printing off and sleeving for the past few months and have that for very little cost.  I'm kicking for both the core and the miniatures because it is an awesome game.

If you're getting this game because of Sentinels, you may be disappointed.  It's completely different, and doesn't feature superheroes or supervillains.  If you like science-fantasy, cool spaceships, or the co-op nature and strong narrative of Sentinels of the Multiverse, then this may be for you.  I'm sorry if my recommendation makes GSF sound like it isn't very good, as that is the last feeling I want to incite in anyone.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

XChylde
XChylde's picture

Reckless wrote:

I wouldn't know.  I'm not a board game enthusiast.  I mainly play Sentinels, a little bit of Battle Con, and occasionally a handful of other tabletop RPGs (White Wolf publishing, BESM, etc.).  This isn't an area I have expertise in.  As a lover of co-op games, I enjoy this game.  I feel like there aren't enough on the market and would love to see more around.  This is something I genuinely like playing and I look forward to owning an official copy.  It's not going to mean as much as Sentinels does to me because GSF didn't cheer me up the day I was laid off at my first job I held for four years.  Sentinels did.  I'm also not going to say it's the best game ever because we're still playtesting it extensively to make it the best game we possibly can.But I'm not going to lie and say that I enjoy it as much as Sentinels.  I think that I would have to turn the gaming world upside down to find something better than the world of Sentinels of the Multiverse.  Plus, I'm not a huge Star Wars/Star Trek fan, I don't think Firefly is the best show ever, and I have only recently discovered a love of pulp sci-fi and am very much a neonate as far as that goes.  I do, however, buy comic books every week and actively follow the metaplot in DC/Marvel and many other third-party comic publishers.  Sentinels is more my demographic than GSF is.  However, it is a game I actively want to own when I could easily just update the proxy cards I've been printing off and sleeving for the past few months and have that for very little cost.  I'm kicking for both the core and the miniatures because it is an awesome game.If you're getting this game because of Sentinels, you may be disappointed.  It's completely different, and doesn't feature superheroes or supervillains.  If you like science-fantasy, cool spaceships, or the co-op nature and strong narrative of Sentinels of the Multiverse, then this may be for you.  I'm sorry if my recommendation makes GSF sound like it isn't very good, as that is the last feeling I want to incite in anyone.

That was a very helpful commentary.  I see we have a lot of common interests and experiences, ergo, I will probably enjoy a game that you enjoy. Perhaps others will see this and feel the same way. The only difference is that in addition to my superhero love, I can also get down with sci-fi and fantasy so I might even like it more than you!  

It seems to me that some of the resistance to this game has been that it doesn't seem to live up to SotM, but honestly what could?  SotM is the best game I have ever played, by far, so I shouldn't expect GSF to necessarily compete with that standard. Only one thing can be the best, but that doesn'tmean that other things cannot also be good of their own merit.  I will be the first to say, and have, that the kickstarter was mismanaged, but that's just salesmanship and has nothing to do with actual game design. The >G guys are great game designers, which should be really the only importnat thing in the end.

Melonball

Spiff wrote:

Yeah, if the game turns out to be really fun with lots of successful expansions, no one will care about how the Kickstarter went.

Yes and no.  Again, I'm not trying to be debbie downer, I'm planning on buying the game as soon as it comes out.  I'm sure the game will be successful and make money.  They question is did it make AS MUCH money as it could have?

In any business (but particularly the entertainment business), one of the worst feelings ever is the idea that you had a product that performed well in the marketplace, but with better marketing you know could have sold better. 

Will the fans care how the KS performed in a month or so?  Absolutley not.  But we aren't the ones financially invested in the company.  Keep in mind that higher KS revenue is more capital upfront for >G, who can then use that extra money to market GFS and Vegence, get better signage for cons, and begin developing more products. 

GFS making up the 30k in sales after the game ships in the Fall is good, but it does them less good than getting 30k upfront now that they can try to use to make the game sell even MORE in the fall.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

The last opposition ship is awesome and easily the one I'm most excited to put a smack down on. 

Discuss

Spiff
Spiff's picture

They question is did it make AS MUCH money as it could have?

I agree, and I asked that same question weeks ago.  Unfortunately, it seems like they (and some of the playtesters) feel it's some kind of virtue to not have done everything possible to get the most amount of funding possible from the Kickstarter.  "The Kickstarter will be funded, so it was a success" sounds to me like a tragic lowering of the bar similiar to "the people who attended my dinner party didn't starve, so it was a success".  But I'm sure we all agree that we're excited to play the game, so having it be funded is a positive thing.

This "huge announcement" they mention on the Kickstarter today has me nervous.  I want it to be cool, but if it's something like "hey, we're going to do the expanded box anyways!", which really should have been announced days or weeks ago so that people would feel comfortable pledging or increasing their pledge, that will make me sad.

Reckless
Reckless's picture

I think we're polarizing things a bit too much.  This Kickstarter could've done better, but this wasn't some bare bones endeavor.  It was funded a little over 150%.  If anyone is starving off of that, then I'll be quite surprised.  It could have done better.  It wasn't a failure.  These two concepts can exist together without contradicting one another.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Reckless: Totally agree! yes

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Spiff
Spiff's picture

Sure.  I think it's just a matter of what definition each of us is assigning to the word "success".

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

The definition I'm assigning to the word "success" is "a large group of migratory herbavors".

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Now the question is what does the word "Herbavors" mean and in what language was Paul speaking?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Spiff
Spiff's picture

I think he meant to say "herbeavers", which everyone knows have huge migrations every year as they move from river to river, building dams and foraging for herbs.

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Ultra-hirsute mammo-amphibian herbeav... Oh God!!!  Make it stop!!!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I just assumed it would be a success if there were a lot if vegetarians at GenCon.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Reckless
Reckless's picture

I'm one of those!  Make mine herbeaverless, please.  It upsets my delicate, leafy constitution.

Ra, God of the Fun
Draw, God of the Sun

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Clearly I meant this band.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Michael Vognild
Michael Vognild's picture

Sometimes, you just have to ask yourself, "What would make a game FUN to play?"

The answers of 'Lazer Dragons, Spaceship-eating Arachnids, and Coal-burning Reptillian Hell Orcs (now SulphOrcs) flying around in ships that look like they were slapped together by a first-year welding student" come to mind pretty quickly.

Vognild Prime, sometimes Space-Ship Manufacturer

Pages