The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM To SCRPG Hero Conversions

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
fjur
fjur's picture
SotM To SCRPG Hero Conversions

Greetings Forumites!

After gaining permission to do so in another thread, I have begun to convert the not-yet-officially-converted-by-GTG Heroes of the Card Game into SCRPG Character Sheets. I'm posting them here mainly for GM/player use.

I'm just a fan doing this for fun. I am in no way an authority on how these heroes should work. I am simply guessing as best I can at their Characteristics, based on the Card Game mechanics and Letters Page lore.

I'll be converting and posting them in order of first appearance, as dictated by the Multiverse Recap Episode of the Letters Page. All comments, questions, and criticisms are greatly appreciated!

Now, without further ado, I present to you the madman of Mordengrade, the lunar lunatic, Luminary!

Notes on Luminary: In regards to the Principle of Business, Luminary's "business" is Mordengrade itself. His Electricity Power isn't Electricity manipulation, it's just him using his tech to shoot Electricity at things. Nanotech Arm is Signature Weaponry. I didn't roll the D8 for his Health, I just chose the value that would make it match his Card Game version's HP (I'll be doing this for all of these, I think).

[Edit: Oops, I forgot Luminary's background Quality. It (Mordengradian Baron) is added now.]

This space was intentionally left blank.

der andere Jan
der andere Jan's picture

Nice! For the Heroes: Are you going constructed or freeform method?

(Imho constructed should be more interesting, as a reference to see how said heroes would work within the chargen rules.... whereas free, albeit probably a closer match to the lore, could essentially be anything.)

There is no "I" in "vowels"

deanjday

Thats great, who do you plan on doing? any villains?

Dean J Day

fjur
fjur's picture

der andere Jan, I will try to use the Constructed Method for all of them (which I did for Luminary here), but I fear that that may become unfeasible for some. You pretty accurately said my reasoning for it: "constructed should be more interesting, as a reference to see how said heroes would work within the chargen rules". If I do use the Third Method, I will say so in that Hero's notes.

deanjday, as impossible as it sounds, my hope is to eventually get to all the Heroes. As I said in my original post, I'm going by first appearance, so the next one will be the Scholar, then Nightmist, Haka, et cetera, and lastly Benchmark. I haven't thought about this kind of thing for Villains... Maybe I'll do them once I'm done with the Heroes. To me, Villain creation just isn't as fun as Hero creation.

fjur
fjur's picture

Here's my 2nd conversion: the Scholar.

Notes on the Scholar: the Scholar's Awareness Power and Alertness Quality represent his attunement to Ley-Lines. Self Transmutation is an Invented Power in the Self-Control catagory, which I created because none of the other Self-Control Powers actually change one's substance (which is something his Card Game version clearly does). Timeless Mentor is his background Quality. Again, I manipulated the D8 Health roll (from here on out, I'm not even going to note this anymore, just assume that I did it).

Variants: Both conversions I have posted thus far (Luminary & the Scholar) have been conversion of those heroes' classic Card Game versions, not Variants. Unless I state otherwise, assume that the version that I post is that hero's classic one, and not a Variant. Perhaps, in the future, I'll post something detailing my ideas for modifying the heroes to resemble their Variants.

Next up: Nightmist.

geoff907
Playtester

We just sat down and made up a quick Haka today.  Hopefully this might help with your quest.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eKHrbgoXL3pdoC65YS1mNU93hQcNurqG/view?usp=sharing

fjur
fjur's picture

Nice Haka build, geoff907!

When I get to Haka, I'm planning on using the Exile Background. My reasoning is that although Aata is from another time, he has lived through the history between then and now, so he is accustomed to it.

I'm also planning on using The Multiverse for his Power Source, although I do realise that that might create some problems, because The Multiverse doesn't really have any Haka-themed Powers. My reason for it is because Haka isn't actively drawing power from the Higher Power (La Comodora), but he is continually drawing power from his alternate reality selves, via the Multiverse.

Of course, as Christopher & Adam say, there is no one "right way" to build a Hero in SCRPG! Both our ideas are equally valid!

Sidenote: I don't have a "quest" to create every Hero or any silly thing like that, I'm just doing this for fun/for other GMs and players out there in Internetland to use, if they so desire.

geoff907
Playtester

Thanks Fjur! Your Exile build sounds really cool! I love what you're doing, and if we make any in the mean time I'll share them on here.   

We were super tempted to use Multiverse, but the Higher Power just emanated what felt right for his build. 

Keep being awesome out there, and Happy Holidays!

fjur
fjur's picture

Sorry for the long delay. But to make up for it, here's that hero who everyone seems to miss more than the Scholar or Ra: Nightmist.

Note on Nightmist: Unlike my previous two conversions, I could not manipulate Nightmist's Health to match her card game version's HP. Her D10 Self-Discipline quality and D10 Red Zone Die both just made it too high, even with minimising her Health roll.

If anyone would like it, I might be persuaded to take a request in regards to who I convert next. I realise that "who's published first" is a somewhat arbitrary ordering method. And, if not, Haka's next.

Godai
Godai's picture

If you ever get around to the Cauldron heroes, hit me up.  I've done a lot of groundwork on at least a dozen of them, just haven't had time to make them all pretty for posting. 

fjur
fjur's picture

Hmm, Cauldron heroes. . . There's a very small likelihood I'll convert them. It's not impossible, but if I do, it would be after all the SotM heroes. I've never played any of them, so I may not have the best feel for their abilities.

I am unfairly biased against "unofficial" material for no reason, even when I know that the person(s) who designed it could be as good (or better) a game designer than C&A.

And If you want me to look into it, I'll have to be provided with an free, online document of them. I'm not going to pay money for material that I'm never actually going to play. I understand if this is something you would not be willing to do.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'll vote for Haka even though you said already that's who you were going to go with.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Antlers

I would love to see the Argent Adept adapted to the RPG, myself :) I am a sucker for any kind of musical character.

fjur
fjur's picture

Okay, Antlers, I'll add The Argent Adept to the queue after Haka.

fjur
fjur's picture

As requested by Powerhound_2000, here's my fourth conversion: Haka.

Notes on Haka: I think the linked statistics can be used to represent Aata or Arataki (as stated on the sheet); as far as I know, they have quite similar backstories, powers, and personalities (if I am wrong, please say so). You may wonder why I made the Hakas' Strength lower than their Vitality; I did so because they literally cannot die. The Hakas' Out Ability represents the fact that, even when Out, they still "tank" for the team.

Thanks goes to geoff907, because if he had not posted his Haka stats, I might not have thought of using the Higher Power Power Source. Regarding my comments to geoff's build, I did end up not using The Multiverse Power Source because it does not grant any Athletic Powers, as I commented.

Next conversion is The Argent Adept, requested by Antlers. Feel free to keep requesting.

fjur
fjur's picture

As requested by Antlers, here's my fifth conversion: The Argent Adept.