The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM, the next generation

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
SotM, the next generation

I have a date on Sunday morning to play SotM with my eleven year old nephew over Skype.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Kat
Kat's picture
Playtester

That's awesome!  You should post how that goes, I'm curious :) 

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Me too! We are very interested in how our game plays among younger demographics.  We have playtested it with the children of various friends, and it seems to go well, but more data is always good.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

A few very young children played at GenCon also and picked it up very quickly. I'm excited to know how it goes.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Will let you know. Nephew Eric is VERY sharp, but tends to lose interest when he doesn't think he can win.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I have a nine year old sister who I would frequently play with, and she very much enjoys playing. There are a few times that she may not know what exactly the benefits of using a card are, so she tends to not use it, such as Fanatic deals herself damge, she doesn't want to get hurt so she never will use it. So there are some bans of her not using characters, Fanatic, Abosolute Zero, and The Visionary are the three as of right now.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The game went very well.

I was playing with my sister (Deb), her 11-year-old (Eric), and another 11-year-old boy (Avi). I played Visionary. The boys played Legacy and Ra. My sister played Tachyon. We defeated Voss in Atlantis on normal mode, though not before Visionary was knocked out. Forced Deployment was the first card, which lead to a lot of damage early on.

Age didn't seem to be a significant factor -- the boys were able to understand the game with little more trouble than someone older, I think. Note, however, that they are both _very_ smart. Having gaming experience with such things as hit points, turn phases, and using powers makes a big difference for the learning curve, but this is true regardless of age.

For some reason, they played with their Hand face up on the table, which occasionally caused confusion about the difference between a card in hand versus a card in play.

Comments about using Skype, strategy, protecting cards, and a rules question will go into four other threads ...

Everybody had fun and even my sister, who's not in to games, is looking forward to playing again.

Kat
Kat's picture
Playtester

arenson9 wrote:
For some reason, they played with their Hand face up on the table, which occasionally caused confusion about the difference between a card in hand versus a card in play.

This is how I always play, it just seems to work better for me.  I could see how it might cause confusion.  With children you may try putting some sort of object between the cards "in their hand" and the cards in play... like a straw/pencil just for a visual reference.

The advantage of showing the cards that I have found is that you can easily ask others for advice, ask what a card does, and discuss strategy options (not like these things can't be done without showing your cards, just my personal preference when I play) 

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

If I sit my hand down and usually it face up as well, but it is behind my deck and cards in play are infront, so that acts as a barrier between the two.