The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Event #23: App Battle, Rook City Edition!

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester
SotM Event #23: App Battle, Rook City Edition!

Welcome to anybody coming here as a result of Reddit, VGG, or the Steam community forums!

Rook City comes out for Sentinels Digital on Tuesday. The people who participated in teh first app battle had a lot of fun (I was one of them), so I figure I'll get the ball rolling for the next round.

Overview

This is a team based event, where you try to score the most points. During each round, you will have to make 3 teams to go after the three villains. Each villain you defeat will score you a point. Whichever team has the most points at the end of three rounds wins.

Teams

Each team will consist of 3 players, and each player must face a different villain in each round. Each player will only play 1 match a round. Submit your team compositions through the form here

Villains

I will randomize the villain and environment matches for each round. All villains must be played on advance. Villain variants will be added to the randomization. If a variant is rolled, you must play the variant version.

Hero Teams

In order to face the villains, you will form 3 teams of heroes from the 13 available in the app for each round. At the start of the new round, you can rearrange your teams. You can select your teams after seeing the villain/environment matches, and you can select which team will fight which villain.

Each hero can only be selected once per round, and all heroes must be used. You can either spread out the heroes in 3-5-5 or 4-4-5. This is your choice, and it can be changed from round to round. You can select the order of the heroes for each game in each round.

While players are discussing team composition, partial games of up to 3 complete rounds may be played. If such a "discussion" game goes past the 4th villain turn, it must be completed and will count as one of the games for that round. Once a single team has been completely selected, or a game completed and logged, no more "discussion" games may be started. (Those who were in the first app battle - would you consider this to be a fair ruling based on the kerfuffle last time?)

Promo Heroes

At the beginning of each round, I will randomize which variant of a hero is available. Assuming that you have unlocked that variant hero, you may only use that hero for that round. If and only if nobody on your team has unlocked that variant, then the standard version of that hero can be used instead, at a score penalty of 1 incapacitated hero (even if the battle is a victory).  You can know which variant is available before selecting your teams.

Timeline

You will have until Wednesday, 29 April at 1:00 PM CST to submit your teams. (Note extended sign-up due to Apple-induced delay.)

For each round, you will have approximately 72 hours to create your teams and play your games. Any games not done by then will be considered a loss, and all heroes incapped.

Results

All results should be submitted through a form that will be provided. You will need to submit your team, the player on the team, the heroes used, number of incaps, and a link to a screenshot of your results (if you can). Any loss, not just being incapped, is considered a loss, and all heroes are considered incapped. Please do not post your results to the forum, so other teams can’t see your hero selection before playing.

Your team scores 1 point for each victory you had. You do not lose anything for being defeated.

At the beginning of a new round, I will post the results of the last round. At that point, you may post any session reports of the previous round.

Rounds, Winner, and Tiebreaker

The game will last for 5 rounds. The team with the most points is the winner.

In the case of a tie, whichever team had the least amount of incaps will be the winner.

Questions? Ask away.

Edit on 4/14: Team sign-up form is live. Go register your team here, the sooner the better. :)

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I think the ruling on the discussion game seems fine. I wonder how many victories we'll have against the chairman and the Matriarch.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Nielzabub wrote:

I think the ruling on the discussion game seems fine. I wonder how many victories we'll have against the chairman and the Matriarch.

I'm kind of curious myself. Of course, that assumes they come up - I'm not planning to rig the draws. (Likely use Spiff's web randomizer set to base, rook city, and the mini-pack set.)

The intended spirit is also that such discussion games happen before any matchups are set for the round, and that once the first person on the team has reported their game, such discussion games are out of bounds. In theory, it should represent a "what if we try this combination..." without letting the game run all the way to completion - enough to get a sense of the strength, not enough to let it be able to count as a "do-over."

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Chairman on advanced, man. We should probably have some special rule of not mulliganing with Visionary until you get a brain burn in your opening hand since that card alone can greatly change the game.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Nielzabub wrote:

Chairman on advanced, man. We should probably have some special rule of not mulliganing with Visionary until you get a brain burn in your opening hand since that card alone can greatly change the game.

Good point. Hopefully, a lot of that would get caught up in the "once somebody on your team has submitted, further planning-type games are off-limits..." 

I'll sleep on it and see what I come up with; possibly editing the main post tomorrow.

Nunleft
Nunleft's picture

I am happy to join a team if people need a third.

First can I clarify something:

If I am understanding you correctly, this is how it works:

We have two(2) Teams of three(3) people, for example:

Team Tachy: HUD, Limits and Research

Unity's Botters: Chompers, Cyrobot_MVP and Hornet_Bot

You then randomise three set-ups:

1. (Advanced) Grand Warlord Voss on Insula Primalis
  2. (Advanced) Plague Rat on Rook City
  3. (Advanced) Ambuscade on Silver Gulch 1883

Each team then selects a team member of their team to fight a villian and they distribute the heroes between them:

Only Super Scientific Tachyon was rolled

Voss: HUD (Legacy, Haka, Absolute Zero, Visionary, Wraith) Vs. Hornet_Bot (Visionary, Bunker, Tempest, Mr. Fixer, Unity)

Plague Rat: Limits (Tempest, Bunker, Absolute Zero, Unity, Ra) Vs. Chompers (Super Scientific Tachyon, Legacy, Ra, Wraith, Fanatic)

Ambuscade: Research (Fanatic, Mr. Fixer, Expatriette, Super Scientific Tachyon) Vs. Cryobot_MVP ( Haka, Absolute Zero,  Expatriette)

We then have 72 hours to play and submit our result (honestly)

Underlined Heroes became incapasitated

Voss: HUD (Legacy, Haka,  Absolute Zero , Visionary, Wraith) Vs. Hornet_Bot (Visiona ry, Bunker, Tempest, Mr. Fixer, Unity)

Plague Rat: Limits (Tempest, Bunker, Absolute Zero, Unity, Ra) Vs. Chompers (Super Scientific Tachyon, Legacy, Ra, Wraith, Fanatic)

Ambuscade: Research (Fanatic, Mr. Fixer, Expatriette, Super Scientific Tachyon) Vs. Cryobot_MVP ( Haka, Absolute Zero,  Expatriette)

The teams then get points depending on how many wins they have

Team Tachy: 3 Vs. Unity's Botters: 2

So Team Tachy Moves on.

Edit: Team Tachy wins round 1 of 5

Is this correct?

Gotta go fast

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

It's not a bracket, you just play each round, then at the end whoever has the most points wins. But yes that's how the matches work

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I'm open to joining any team.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Me as well.

Powerhound_2000

So any prize this time around for the winning team?    Also, I feel even doing three rounds is too much for the discussion as situations can change each time with the same villain and hero setup. I personally think teams should confirm who they are going with for a hero team and villain themselves and then proceed with their match.  Hopefully, Rook City doesn't come up as the environment too much as that's brutal.  Megaopolis can be rough too but it doesn't have as many straight help the villain cards.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

So any prize this time around for the winning team?    Also, I feel even doing three rounds is too much for the discussion as situations can change each time with the same villain and hero setup. I personally think teams should confirm who they are going with for a hero team and villain themselves and then proceed with their match.  Hopefully, Rook City doesn't come up as the environment too much as that's brutal.  Megaopolis can be rough too but it doesn't have as many straight help the villain cards.  

Input noted - this is the one area still subject to change.\

I honestly haven't gotten in touch with Handelabra or GtG to ask about prizes because I want to see whether/how many people we get participating this time who didn't last time. If we get a new influx of folks, prizes might be worth their while. If it's the same folks, we've all gotten one of the coolest prizes ever (IMO).

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

I think the discussion rules will work as-is. Well done, jffdougan.

I'm unfortunately not going to be able to participate this time around - just way too much happening at work right now. 

...yeah, me too.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

I am open for this if I can play any games that require Rook City on or after May 1st.

Which I guess means if the rounds start on or after May 1st.

jajd2c

I'll join in this time. It sounds like a lot of fun.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Belle Sorciere wrote:

I am open for this if I can play any games that require Rook City on or after May 1st.Which I guess means if the rounds start on or after May 1st.

Most rounds /should/ (statistically) have at least one villain who can be fought not needing Rook City. 

I think I'm getting the spreadsheet & entry form up tonight or tomorrow.

Belle Sorciere
Belle Sorciere's picture

Excellent.

And yeah, the comment about waiting until the first was not exactly serious. :)

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

No teams signed up yet. :(

Powerhound_2000

First, I'll say it's hard to find the link.  You might put at the end of your first post.  Second, while a few people are interested I don't think any of us have yet to officially make a team.  

Ill put it out there again that I'm open to playing with any two other forum members. 

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I'll put another copy if the sign-up link at the end later tonight.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I'll join up with you again, Powerhound, if you want.

Powerhound_2000

Sure just need our third.  

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Make a new account with the same picture but with a moustache. You can pretend it's your twin brother who you just got into the game.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I, Guy Incognito, would be happy to join your team.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000

Maybe.......

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

There's just something about that moustache that makes you really trustworthy.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Lemme officially confirm for those watching the thread that nobody signed up. Oh, well.

Powerhound_2000

Yeah I didn't get a third member as only Nielzabub said he wanted to join and I don't really want to make a second forum account.   Maybe we will need to try another time?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Playtesting is occurring, so that will drop a lot of people out of events.

Powerhound_2000

Any idea when the majority of that will be finished?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

with all the stuff on the horizon probably not for a while.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Yeah I didn't get a third member as only Nielzabub said he wanted to join and I don't really want to make a second forum account.   Maybe we will need to try another time?

Matchstickman wrote:
  I, Guy Incognito, would be happy to join your team.  

Hmmmmmmmm.

Powerhound_2000

Oh dear.....here I thought you were just trying to make a joke my mistake.  As it stands, I think would be the only team.  

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Oh cloven hooved forest ruminant.....

Fixed that for you

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Oh dear.....here I thought you were just trying to make a joke my mistake.  As it stands, I think would be the only team.  

We win by default. That should be our team name.

Powerhound_2000

You got it

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I can't recall off-hand - is the next mini-pack dropping before or after Infernal Relics?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Check. Well, let's see if there's interest following the next release, anyway.\

By that point, we'll have 15 heroes - three five-hero teams. Probably more rounds to account for having a baker's dozen villains.