The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Event #16: SotM Depth Chart <Best Forum Activity 2014 Award Winner>

173 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
SotM Event #16: SotM Depth Chart <Best Forum Activity 2014 Award Winner>

<Best Forum Activity 2014 Award Winner>

For this event, you are going to create a team of 5 heroes, as well as a reserve of 10 ten heroes. I will create random matches for your team to go up against. If a hero falls, one in reserve will take its place. However, there isn't a general reserve, but each reserved hero needs to be assigned to one of the starting heroes in order. So, let's say I start with the F5, and I want Chrono-Ranger as a reserve, so I put him behind Bunker. Now, if Bunker is ever incapped, Chrono-Ranger takes his place. Think carefully about what role each hero fills, and who should replace them if they fall.

*The event will go until one team is left standing.

*If the heroes lose a game, all heroes are incapped, regardless of how they lost.

*If you lose, do not replay the round, simply move on to the next round.

*You need to put the reserved heroes in order. So, you might have something like this Bunker -> Chrono-Ranger -> Expat.

*Each starting hero needs to heroes in reserve, for a total of 15 heroes.

*If one column is completely incapped, you can still play, but you will have to field one less hero, regardless of how many other heroes are in reserve.

*If you can only field 2 heroes, you are out of the event, regardless of how many heroes are left in reserved.

*I will randomize all matches, and all teams will play the same villain/environment combo in the same order. Until I get confirmation that most EU has recieved thier pre-orders, WCos, will not be part of the random games, but the heroes can be picked (if you have them).

*I will post the first game in a few days, after some teams have been picked.

*The first 5 games will be on normal, after that the games will be on advance.

*No promo heroes can be used.

*You do not have to use the same hero order from game to game.

*You get one "redo", where you can reply a match, but you need to accept the second result.

Here is the form to submit your team. Please feel free to post it here as well.

Here is the form to submit your games. Please feel free to post it here as well.

Here is the list of teams and who you need to face each round. If you redo the game, only submit the second game's results, and select that you used your redo. Remember, the first five games are normal, after that, everything is advance.

You can still submit a team and join the fun, hust fill out the team form, and start playing.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Azqa
Azqa's picture
Playtester

Oooh, neat idea!

I took my 4-hero team from event #14 and added in Tempest.  If promo characters were allowed, I'd have used Prime Warden Tempest and kept Rook City Wraith, but as it stands, my first string is Legacy, Parse, Wraith, Tempest, Scholar.  Pretty straightforward all-around amazingness, so I will be sad when that lineup changes due to injury.

Legacy is taking point primarily for damage boosts.  Anything else that he can do could be done from anywhere else in the turn order, but for the idea of boosting the entire group's damage I went with Chrono-Ranger as the primary backup and Ra as the secondary.

Parse is the primary manipulator, so Visionary is her backup.  After that I went with Sky-Scraper - not necessarily for directly affecting the opposition decks, but for the ability to wreak havoc with links as was demonstrated to me in a recent PBF game.

Wraith is just plain uber, but this slot was intended mainly for damage so Haka and then K.N.Y.F.E. are lined up behind her.

Tempest has ridiculously good capabilities overall, but I wanted the backups focused on support so Argent Adept and then the Sentinels landed here.

The Scholar isn't just a damage sponge, but that's where I usually try to start off with him.  Same thing for the Naturalist.  NightMist isn't in the same boat but ended up here anyway.

There are some heroes here that I don't play very often.  There are some that I really like that aren't in these lineups.  If I were building three distinct teams that would succeed each other once the prior team could no longer field at least 3 heroes, I would definitely change things up.  I'm excited to see how this plays out!

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Can you post the various teams, once submissions have ended?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:
For this event, you are going to create a team of 5 heroes, as well as a reserve of 10 ten heroes.

Look. I know your new status as a mod is exciting and all, but flaunting knowledge that there are going to be 105 heroes is just not cool man.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So play and show me up.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Team already submitted man, just waiting for you to do your thing so we can truly prove how bad I am at this game.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Jimeni
Playtester

Hello. Relative newbie here. I'm a longtime lurker but rare poster.

But this idea sounds fun and innovative, and I may be interested in joining, if you don't mind a newbie that is (which I'm sure you don't), but I did have a few questions before deciding:

1. After the villain and environment are selected, is this just a play-on-your-own type situation and report the results here? Or is this some type of PBF or Hangout thing?

2. Is there a time frame when you have to play each game by? Love playing Sentinels but I know sometimes things can get busy (as I'm sure is true for anybody), so I may not be able to play a game right away, but it probably wouldn't be too long before I'd get to it. But I wouldn't want to hold everyone up either.

3. Will Vengeance villains be used? I guess it could work the first couple of games, but as the teams start having a different number of heroes, it might be trickier.

4. How long do we have to come up with our teams (do you have a specific deadline in mind)? If I'm going to play, I'd like to consult with my wife to come up with our heroes/reserves. But, again, don't want to hold things up too much.

5. No promo heroes ... are you kidding me? (Just to be perfectly clear, this last one is a joke ... it sounds like a perfectly fine rule... but my wife's going to be mad at me if she can't use Beacon or Super Scientific Tachyon ;) ).

Anyway, great idea! Look forward to possibly playing. And, if I can't/don't participate, I'm sure I'll enjoy just watching the results. Thanks! :)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Jimeni wrote:

Hello. Relative newbie here. I'm a longtime lurker but rare poster.But this idea sounds fun and innovative, and I may be interested in joining, if you don't mind a newbie that is (which I'm sure you don't), but I did have a few questions before deciding: 

I don't mind a newbie, and POST MORE!

Jimeni wrote:

1. After the villain and environment are selected, is this just a play-on-your-own type situation and report the results here? Or is this some type of PBF or Hangout thing?

You can play them anyway way you want. They can be by yourself and report the resutls, or in a hangout game (lots of great people there), or even a PBF game (great people there too). As long as you are playing, I don't care how.

Jimeni wrote:

2. Is there a time frame when you have to play each game by? Love playing Sentinels but I know sometimes things can get busy (as I'm sure is true for anybody), so I may not be able to play a game right away, but it probably wouldn't be too long before I'd get to it. But I wouldn't want to hold everyone up either.

No time frame at all. The score of your team will be based on how many rounds you can go. If that takes 2 days, great, 2 months, also great.

Jimeni wrote:

3. Will Vengeance villains be used? I guess it could work the first couple of games, but as the teams start having a different number of heroes, it might be trickier.

No, for reason you mentioned, I should have mentioned this above, sorry.

Jimeni wrote:

4. How long do we have to come up with our teams (do you have a specific deadline in mind)? If I'm going to play, I'd like to consult with my wife to come up with our heroes/reserves. But, again, don't want to hold things up too much.

I am going to post the first three games in white text tomorrow night. This way people can get started, and if you need more time to come up with your team, you cannot look (honor system here folks). The teams up unitl then will be released to, just don't look at the sheet until you submit your team.

Jimeni
Playtester

Thanks for all your answers and the welcoming, and I'm in. :)

Team has been officially submitted. Some difficult decisions had to be made, but I still think it's a good team, and I'm quite interested to see how it all plays out.

Here's my team and the reserves:

Legacy >> Haka >> The Naturalist

Visionary >> The Wraith >> Parse

Argent Adept >> Omnitron X >> Capt. Cosmic

Tempest >> Tachyon >> Unity

KNYFE >> Ra >> Expatriette

Good luck, everyone!

Rath
Playtester

Question: Can we change hero turn order if we are so inclined between games?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yes.

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

This looks like fun! Another great idea, Pydro. 

Here's my teams, assigned to the (very rough) roles that I wanted filled by at least one team member in any given game:

Utility:

1. Tempest
  2. Argent Adept
  3. The Sentinels

Control/Damage:

1. Wraith
  2. KNYFE
  3. Nighmist

Control:

1. Visionary
  2. Parse
  3. Sky-Scraper

Damage Mitigation:

1. Naturalist
  2. Scholar
  3. Omnitron-X

Team Support/Damage/Misc.:

1. Legacy
  2. Ra
  3. Chrono-Ranger

...yeah, me too.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I randomized everything, just incase us at G+ want to join in the fun.

Unity, NightMist, Haka

Absolute Zero, Parse, The Naturalist

Legacy, Sky-Scraper, Mr. Fixer

The Sentinels, The Wraith, The Visionary

KNYFE, Tachyon, The Scholar

redlife0006
Playtester

Hi all,

I've lurked on the forums for a while now, and even participated in a couple of other events, but this one seems like worlds of fun, so I figured I'd make my first post here.  My team and reserves are as follows, then:

Ra-->Legacy-->Wraith

Visionary-->Argent Adept-->Parse

Chrono-Ranger-->Fixer-->Haka

KNYFE-->Sentinels-->Setback

Tachyon-->Tempest-->Nightmist

I tried to keep some sort of a "role" thing going on, but by the third string, I tried to add reliable damage to most slots.  With Setback as the game-changing wildcard, hopefully. cheeky  I look forward to the event.

Rath
Playtester

Alright, I got my team put together.

The actuator
Legacy->Argent Adept-->Scholar

The big meaty beats
Wraith(As she is too good to pass up)->Haka-->Ra

The manipulator
Parse -> Visionary--Tachyon(Card draw and stopping damage)

The multitasker
Omni-tron X -> Naturalist ->Captain Cosmic

The AoE/Utility
The Sentinels->Tempest->Sky-Scraper

Shame I had to pass up some of my favorite heroes(Fixer, Setback, Unity) but I figured reliability was more important.

I also figure this will rapidly become harder as I lose the first couple heroes, but eh, you do what you do.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Here is the form to submit your games. Please feel free to post it here as well.

Here is the list of teams and who you need to face each round. If you redo the game, only submit the second game's results, and select that you used your redo. Remember, the first five games are normal, after that, everything is advance.

You can still submit a team and join the fun, hust fill out the team form, and start playing.

Rath
Playtester

So I assume the redo thing is that if everything goes terribly wrong in a game, we get one mulligan? Just making sure because you didn't mention it earlier.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yes. Wow, I really thought I mentioned it, ok mentioning it now.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

So, right now there are 14 teams. I have to say, it has been quite enjoyable looking at all the various teams and reserve heroes, I am glad I can finally share those. Good luck, everyone!

Rath
Playtester

So I notice it looks like I accidently submitted Setback on the form when I mean to put Scholar. Is it cool to change that?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep, I will take care of that when a get a chance.

EDIT: Fixed.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Wow. Legacy gets around. He's on every team except one.

...with good reason, of course.

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Not sure if I'll actually have enough time to do this, but I went pure random, just in case.

1: Parse-->Argent Adept-->Guise
2: Captain Cosmic-->Nightmist-->Tachyon
3: Bunker-->Mr Fixer-->Chrono Ranger
4: Unity-->Setback-->K.N.Y.F.E.
5: Sentinels-->Scholar-->Expatriette

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We've entered as Sentinels of the Halifax Multiverse - we play every Monday night so we'll get started then!

1: Absolute Zero, The Naturalist, Legacy
2: Sky-Scraper, Expatriette, Chrono Ranger
3: The Argent Adept, Mr. Fixer, NightMist
4: Tempest, The Wraith, Unity
5: Parse, The Sentinels, Omnitron X

We just generated a random team and then edited it a little bit.

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Thalanthalas

Hello,

This is my first day on the forums with an account and to be honest the only reason I made an account is for this event. So let's see how this goes.

Support- Parse ---> Argent Adept---> Naturalist

Control- Wraith---> Visionary---> Nightmist

Damage- Ra---> Fanatic---> The Sentinels

Boost- Legacy---> Chrono Ranger---> Tachyon

Wild Cards- Omintron X---> Guise---> Tempest

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome to the forums!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

WOW! Right now we have 18 team! That's awesome!\

So far, 3 teams are on round #3, and of the first 6 games submitted, there has only been 1 incap. This is going to get good!

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

The War Report, first three rounds.

Round 1: What is usually a pushover team of wannabes turned deadly. The Ennead pummeled my heroes unrelentingly, pulling out a fresh member every time I was on the cusp of victory. My team put down all nine and escaped with fewer than twelve combined hit points. Haka was left behind in the belly of the Kraken.
Visionary - Argent Adept - Sky-Scraper - Absolute Zero - Haka (RIP)

Round 2: With the addition of KNYFE, the team went through Kismet like a bad taco through a large intestine: fast and messy. The unlucky Argent Adept took a beating from his teammates, but no one else dropped below 20 HP.
Visionary - Argent Adept - Sky-Scraper - Absolute Zero - KNYFE

Round 3: Man, I hate the Dreamer. And my team seems to have problems with large numbers of villain targets. The gunmen of Silver Gulch, amped up by Sky-Scraper's links, helped immensely in putting down projections. In the last round, Sky-Scraper saved the team from annihilation by Monolithing up, but the damage was too much for her.
Visionary - Argent Adept - Sky-Scraper (RIP) - Absolute Zero - KNYFE

How are the first few rounds treating you?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

First 5 matches are up. I was hoping to see some villains that don't have a big difference in difficulty between normal and advance show up in the first 5 games, but alas, no Apostate or La Capitan.

Which are the hardest matches of the first 5? Dreamer and Miss Info?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Miss Information. As I will forfeit the match and let all heroes be incapped before playing against her ever again.

Thalanthalas

metlarcturus wrote:

The War Report, first three rounds.Round 1: What is usually a pushover team of wannabes turned deadly. The Ennead pummeled my heroes unrelentingly, pulling out a fresh member every time I was on the cusp of victory. My team put down all nine and escaped with fewer than twelve combined hit points. Haka was left behind in the belly of the Kraken. 

I have only completed round 1 and I suffered near the same results as you ending with Parse and Omnitron-X at 1. Ra and Legacy at 3. And wraith with 2 hp. One more villain turn and I would have lost all of my first team. All 9 came out to try and make sure I lost the first. Parse is my MVP for this match.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

If you lose a game, do you have to fight the same villain again, or do you move on to the next one?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You move on.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Ok. Might be good to put that in the OP =)

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Good idea. Will do!

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

Round 1: Heroes Begin To Get Cocky

Legacy-Tachyon-Scholar-Tempest-Absolute Zero 

A first round Inspiring Presence and Hypersonic Assault meant the writing was on the walls early on, and even though a first round leaky room slowed things down a tad there wasn't much the Ennead could do to put up with the onslaught. All heroes (apart from Absolute Zero,) end at 20 HP or above.

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

Round 2: Heroes Start to Get Full of Themselves 

Legacy-Tachyon-Scholar-Tempest-Absolute Zero

Another fortuitous first round Inspiring Presence and Hypersonic Assault proves to be useful. Adding a first round Electrical Storm and Cold Snap meant the talisman wasn't a problem, and in the end all heroes end at full health apart from a Pushing the Limits Tachyon and Absolute Zero residing in an exploding Cryo Chamber. 

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I'd like to start a "I hate the Dreamer in Silver Gulch" fan club.  I used by reboot because the Dreamer liked having 2 tooth faeries out and if we blew up an explosive wagon, the lowest HP hero had to take 12 damage to get the Dreamer to survive.  On her flip side she did just that, so I reset.  Lowest HP character at the time had 5 health.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

I will post my games this weekend, once I get a chance to play.  Sorry on the delay!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

No worries!

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

I'll volunteer for Parlimentarian of the I hate the Dreamer in Silver Gulch fanclub (it's really the only skill I have.) 

She and the Hayes bros. conspired to make short work of us. I also used my redo and came out ok (although Silver Gulch had a nice rejoinder at the end with Sheriff Pratt opening fire on a little girl and causing Legacy to drop to 3 in the final seconds.) 

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

And that is another reason why Sheriff Pratt is a terrible environment target.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Can't post game 4.

Got VERY lucky in the beginning (sorta).  Started w/ Diplomatic Envoy and What Doesn't Kill You.  When we got through Diplomatic Envoy, got 2x What Doesn't Kill You on the start of the turn, then Diversionary Tactics revealed Explosion in the Lab and The Memo (or whatever it's called), still at the start, flipping Ms. Information and then destroying The Memo.

She then proceeded to deal a ton of damage (reduced by 2 thanks to shielding winds), and killed Setback (he got better! (silver lining, 14 tokens)) and got Argent Adept down to 1 hp before we took her down.  Still....scary!

However, I cannot add the game, as the form only allows up to game 3 at the moment.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Wow, I conpletely forgot about updating the form. Busy now, but I will update it later.

EDIT: Fixed.

Thalanthalas

Well the Dreamer destroyed my heroes. I used the reset after losing the first game basically turn one after she started with two dark heroes in play and then played one of her card that put in 3 more projections. Mixed with the Whipacorn and Arachnid my team never saw the light. Second game started much better but towards the end my team ran out of steam. Ended with me losing Parse, Wraith, Legacy, and Ra. Omnitron X walked away from the fight with exactly 1 hp left. It was a tense moment as I figured out the damage for the villain turn, subtracting for his plating and then figuring out exactly what each of the incaped heroes had to do for me to win. Luckily turn order wise Omnitron X went last for me. 

Conclusion- I hate the Dreamer.

skylarfried13
skylarfried13's picture

Just got done with my first game against the Enead, went pretty smooth, haven't played against them in forever. Set for MVP though his incapacitated side eneded up finishing off the last couple of them. 

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Randomized the first 3 advance games (rounds 6-8).

Rath
Playtester

I've been getting pretty lucky the first couple games, but I'm dreading the advanced, as I very rarely play advanced in general, and my luck has to run out at some point(knock on wood). Though, first I need to get through the slugfest that is Akash-bhuta.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I randomized rounds 9 and 10, in case you want to play a bunch of games tomorrow. Yes, round 9 was completely random, and 10 could be dangerous if you are running out of heroes.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

I cannot, as of yet, submit games beyond Round 5.

Also, I shed a tear for Omnitron-X, who proved enragingly incapable of getting his psychic defense plating out against Miss Information. Goodnight, sweet prince, and may flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Pages