The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

SotM Event #12: GtG's Global Friend Network

244 posts / 0 new
Last post
grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ronway wrote:

My biggest problems with Fright Train is he is part of the Vengeance Five. I would have to play a V5 game solo to play against him. Which I don't really want to do.

While the problem with La Capitan is she's an expansion villain, meaning only those of use with Shattered Timelines will be able to partake, outing any other players that would like to join, but cannot because of the lack of own a La Capitan deck.

Agreed. Maybe >G can supply whatever version of Baron Blade comes after Vengeance (I assume there will be at least 3-4 more).

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I'm a little late to the party here, but why not Baron Blade? He's definitely the "flagship" villain in Sentinel Comics, he's the most accessible for all players (Regular, Advanced, or V5, to taste), and he's megolomaniacal enough to travel the world in conquest.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think we are all missing something rather important, how do we decide which city is which environment? Or should each person just pick whatever?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Ronway wrote:

My biggest problems with Fright Train is he is part of the Vengeance Five. I would have to play a V5 game solo to play against him. Which I don't really want to do.While the problem with La Capitan is she's an expansion villain, meaning only those of use with Shattered Timelines will be able to partake, outing any other players that would like to join, but cannot because of the lack of own a La Capitan deck.

Won't they just be sending the copy they receive to the next person, why would they need their own?

Side Note:  We need some fan made solo conversions of the V5 villains, there are some on BGG, but they involve new cards added or changed current cards, with individual cards for sale it should be possible to convert them by adding 5 additional cards already in the deck.  Maybe I need to work on this.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If they haven't bought ST, they won't have the deck to play with the villain. We are only sending the villain card, not the entire deck.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Oh, I missed the part where we are playing a game with the villain.

Maybe we could get Christopher to come up with a special variant of a villain just for this event.

I'm sure he has something lying around, even if it isn't official, it would be super cool.

I mean it isn't like he has anything else going on.  Right?

Do we know what decks would be available to everyone on the list?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think core game is safe. Other than that, I don't know.

Bas

Of course we could add a table into the spreadsheet, where the partakers can indicate which of the expansions they have available, and leave it to >G to select the villain based on that.

Furthermore, since the villain will be travelling the world, he/she will be passing through different environments anyway, so thematically it would fit if the players select the environment.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I thinks it is time to start moving this forward.

Bas

Hej alla!

As it happens, my fiancé got a position in the UK and we will move the in the end of July. I therefor propose a small change in Silverleaf's list that places me at the end of the UK-participants:

• >G HQ
  • LuckyNumberHat
  • jffdougan
  • grysqgl and pydro
  • imprimis5 and arenson9
  • phantaskippy
  • Foote*
  • Silverleaf
  • BlueHairedMeerkat
  • under3
  • Bas*
  • Julia*
  • Nielzabub*
  • Theta_Sigma*
  • Donner
  • broccoli
  • Ronway

Looking forward to the start of this event!

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Pydro wrote:

I think we are all missing something rather important, how do we decide which city is which environment? Or should each person just pick whatever?

I really like this idea: each city being a different environment, reprisenting a different place. That would be cool! The problem is that we would have to see who has which expansions in order to make a palce not repeat.

Also, just saw this idea and I hope I'm not too late to sign up! Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada) here.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ok, let's get this thing started!

First, everyone look at the list and make sure your placement makes sense. For those of you in the same city, dicuss who will go first. Also, there might be a few names missing.

Next, we need to decide on the villain. Christopher suggested Mad Bomber Blade of Cosmic Omnitron. If you have the base set, you can still play, but it is a little more interesting and difficult than the normal versions.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

For those of you in the same city, dicuss who will go first. 

Craig, shall we play one game or two? Happy to do it either way. If we play together, perhaps we can get Russ in on it, too.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

arenson9 wrote:

Pydro wrote:
For those of you in the same city, dicuss who will go first. 

Craig, shall we play one game or two? Happy to do it either way. If we play together, perhaps we can get Russ in on it, too.

I'm down for whatever. No doubt Nick will want in, as well. Seems, to be fair, that we should do two games.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Looks good to me. My best possible dates for my game will be either the last Friday of this month or else Saturday, July 11.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ok, let's take a vote on the base game villains:

Mad Bomber Blade

Cosmic Omnitron

Grandwarlord Voss

Citizen Dawn

Please say below which villain you want to use.

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

I never got confirmation if I came in on time for this, so I don't know if my vote counts. But, I'd go with one of the two variants, so I'll say Mad Bomber Blade since he's the most iconic villain.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We didn't do anything yet, so you are on the list, then only question is where exactly?

LevelUpLeo
LevelUpLeo's picture

Halifax, Nova Scotia (Canada)

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I vote Mad Bomber.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Second for the Bomber.

Julia
Playtester

Yeah, I too vote Bomber Blade. Then we can all pretend that he is trying to blow up our respective local landmarks!

Semper ludens.

Phalse

I would love to get in on this also.  I am in Kingsport, Tennessee.  My vote would also be for Mad Bomber Blade.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Phalse wrote:

I would love to get in on this also.  I am in Kingsport, Tennessee.  My vote would also be for Mad Bomber Blade.

Cool! I was just in Kingsport a couple weeks ago. My spouse group up there. Went to Dobbins-Bennet.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I hope people don't mind that I am moving this along.

Now, please confirm that you are on the list, and you are where you are supposed to be on the list. A few people I wasn't sure of, so they are off to the side. If everything is as it is supposed to be, write CONFIRMED next to your name.

Anyone else still have an opinion on the villain?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I have no preference in villain.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I kind of like the idea of Voss as the villain. A massive invasion of the whole world, and each individual country, city, or state must stand up to the alien onslaught. I'm all for Mad Bomber, but for international villainy, I think Voss is a little more appropriate.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Mad Bomber!  Yes!

I'm very excited for this.

One question though, are we going to sign it or take a photo, or save the stamps or anything?

Any specific way we are making this memorable once finished?

I don't think we'd want to add stuff to it, since that would up the shiping by the end, and signing it would be cool until the people half way down tried to read the card.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Is this still a thing? I live in Gardner, KS. I'd love to be in on this.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

McBehrer wrote:

Is this still a thing? I live in Gardner, KS. I'd love to be in on this.

Add your name to the list.

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

I changed my address information to more closely match the format of everyone else. If you want an exact address, I can write it out for you, but Paul should have access to my full address in both English and Kanji since All my Game Stuff since Shattered Timelines has been shipped here.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Only the person preceding you on the list really needs to know your name and address, for those who don't want it to be public information. Maybe once this thing starts moving, just PM the person before you on the list?

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

grysqrl wrote:

Only the person preceding you on the list really needs to know your name and address, for those who don't want it to be public information. Maybe once this thing starts moving, just PM the person before you on the list?

That was exactly what I was thinking.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I attempted to confirm from my iPad, but was unable to edit the form.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Looks good now.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Pydro wrote:

Looks good now.

Superb!

Bas

As I'll be in the process of moving and may not have my stuff available until August, I'll keep monitoring this thread to see how fast the villain moves across the globe and pass if he moves too fast.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

A few people I wasn't sure of, so they are off to the side. 

Unsure of in what way?

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

arenson9 wrote:

Pydro wrote:

Unsure of in what way?

They look shifty.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

arenson9 wrote:

Pydro wrote:

Unsure of in what way?

Exactly where to place them in the list.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Pydro wrote:

arenson9 wrote:
 Pydro wrote:

Unsure of in what way?

I'd put Bloomington, IN before Indianapolis.

I'd put Kingsport after Indianapolis and before Pittsburgh.

I'd put Halifax after Philadelphia and before Chesterfield.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I'll second Andy's geographic suggestions, and cast a vote for Voss. (Ideally, for the alternate version of Voss from the BGG forums, but that might not be viable here.) I've only got one win against Voss when playing with the Grasshopper, so I think he'd appreciate being able to try to get licks in again.

Rabk
Rabk's picture
Playtester

Pensacola, FL here - I've added myself to the list.

I vote for Cosmic Omnitron. He's already traveled the cosmos, now he travels the Earth!

arenson9 wrote:

Pydro wrote:
 arenson9 wrote:
 Pydro wrote:

Unsure of in what way?

I'd put Bloomington, IN before Indianapolis.I'd put Kingsport after Indianapolis and before Pittsburgh.I'd put Halifax after Philadelphia and before Chesterfield.

There were a number of other new names that weren't in the original sorting so I took the liberty of redoing the list and running a simple algorithm to minimize total distance travelled. Here's the route I came up with:

1. >G HQ - St. Louis, MO, USA
  2. LuckyNumberHat - St. Louis, MO, USA
  3. Dylan Thurston - Bloomington, IN, USA
  4. imprimis5 - Indianapolis, IN, USA
  5. arenson9 - Indianapolis, IN, USA
  6. grysqgl - Chicago, IL, USA
  7. pydro - Chicago, IL, USA
  8. jffdougan - Urbana, IL, USA
  9. Ronway - Leavenworth, KS, USA
  10. McBehrer - Gardner, KS, USA
  11. Donner - Albuquerque, NM, USA
  12. broccoli - Austin, TX, USA
  13. LyAnJulHwin - Jackson, MS, USA
  14. Rabk - Pensacola, FL, USA
  15. Phalse - Kingsport, TN, USA
  16. phantaskippy - Pittsburgh, PA, USA
  17. Oaktree - Philadelphia, PA, USA
  18. Foote - Philadelphia, PA, USA
  19. LevelUpLeo - Halifax, NS, Canada
  20. Silverleaf - Chesterfield, UK
  21. Bas - Norwich, UK
  22. BlueHairedMeerkat - Cambridge (or London), UK
  23. under3 - London, UK
  24. Julia - Cologne, Germany
  25. Nielzabub* - Hitakatsu, Japan
  26. Theta_Sigma* - Sydney, NSW, Australia
  27. >G HQ - St. Louis, MO, USA

Assuming direct great-circle flights for intercontinental distances and surface travel (calculated with Google maps) for all other destinations, our villain will travel 28 116 mi (45 248 km). The actual distance will of course be farther with real-world postal services.

[Edit: http://www.travellerspoint.com/member_map.cfm?user=Rabk&tripid=673826]

...yeah, me too.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Wow, that's a pretty long trip. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

Looking at that order, it'd be really funny if I got the villain in October. Because then I could just hand the card to the GTG guys at PAX cheeky

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think it is time to start getting this thing going. If anybody has some final say on the villain, path, or whatever, please say so now.

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

I put myself on the list before Indianapolis, as suggested. I think we should get started! Mad Bomber Blade sounds great, but we need GtG to start it off.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

What do we need to do to on our end?

Obviously we'll need to communicate addresses, but when we get the card what all do we do?

Are we all taking a photo with it, or just playing a game, do we document the game or anything?  Sign a letter of authenticity?

Something like a letter of authenticity with all our signatures would be cool.  

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Don't forget to get it notarized.

Garou
Garou's picture
Playtester

I hope it's not too late to get in on this? I've put myself after Julia in the spreadsheet. 

Pages