The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Skirmishes...

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ixcelbrien
Skirmishes...

What are the rules for skirmishes? Can you mix and match between having 2 heroes and 1 villian vs 2 villians and one hero? I am just wondering how conducive the game is to having both sides on the same team.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

When we were first given the game to playtest, we were told to skirmish it up, mixing and matching whatever characters we wanted.  I'm pretty sure there are no rules for who you can or can't skirmish with.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Ixcelbrien

Thanks for the fast response. The rulebook recommends skirmishes first. I got everything open and somewhat sorted. I know its going to take a playthrough or two to get a good feel for things. Looks awesome. Lots of stuff included. Plan on playing it with my group tomorrow.

The scenarioes look awesome as well. I like the comics that set them up and segue to the next part. Top notch. Glad I ks'd it.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Yeah, the rulebook is a little schizo about skirmishes, isn't it?  The "Introduction" section on page 1 recommends you start with the rules in the rulebook before trying out scenarios, but then it talks about skirmishes in the "Advanced Rules" section on page 11.  Skirmishes are simultaneously the basic way new players should play and the advanced way experts should play, somehow. :)

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Throw down your best teams regardless of where their affiliations lie.

Visionary - Omnitron V is my favorite team, although Baron Blade - Legacy is Freaking Ridiculous.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

I quite enjoy Absolute Zero + Tachyon. Though that is two heroes...

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Beacon-Proletariat works pretty well, as does Omnitron-anyone else.

Omnitron and Proletariat are my favorites.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Unity - Prole is a lot of fun for the swarming.

I can't wait for an Expat (If she survived DW Setback's incap) so I can run Expat + Dawn.  Until then I'll have to use my own Expat.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I would love to see a Tactics Expat, Expat is awesome. But I'm really waiting for the Matriarch. 

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

phantaskippy wrote:

Unity - Prole is a lot of fun for the swarming.I can't wait for an Expat (If she survived DW Setback's incap

Expatriette appears on a card (I think 2 actually), so I am fairly certain she survives.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Dawn + Legacy is damn near unstoppable in 2v2. The game is way more balanced around 3v3 for skirmishes. 

Koga
Koga's picture
Playtester

Since the Uprising box adds 9th and 10th turn tokens, we can also do 5v5, so you can have up to 10 players.

Card Templates
Champions Online: Koga_Wolfe

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

I would love to see a Tactics Expat, Expat is awesome. But I'm really waiting for the Matriarch. 

I love my Tactics Expat, and I've had some ideas for Matriarch, but the most fun I've had is trying to design a Gloomweaver scenario.

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

Has anyone given thought to 2v2v2 or 3v3v3 skirmishes, with treats scoring a point for every incap they cause instead of tracking your own incaps?  Was wondering as otherwise it's really har to run something with 3 players. 

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Used to run 3 player battles and they were crazy fun.  We went by incaps eliminations style, with limited respawns, when you ran out of respawns your characters leave play when incapped.

It was fun because alliances changed constantly, and more than once a betrayal occurred.

It was fun.

I like doing tag-team skirmishes, when your character is incapped they leave play and when they would stand up a new hero enters the field from a designated area.  You can rotate 3 heroes or draft a big team and work through the roster, but it works well, because you get incapped you lose that hero and have to re-enter the battle.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

As we re-learned in the game I played with the >G guys, arenson9, and a couple others last night, the Legacy/Bunker synergy is top notch.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

imprimis5 wrote:

As we re-learned in the game I played with the >G guys, arenson9, and a couple others last night, the Legacy/Bunker synergy is top notch.

Until Baron Blade shows up.

tthorn23
tthorn23's picture

The lack of any details on what skirmishes should be was a little strange when I played a game with my son last night.  But, I think we got the gist of it and I knew there would be great ideas on the forums.  So, thanks everybody.  Tonight is board/card game night and we'll have a good time playing this, for sure!