The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Setback vs Greazer

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Titrationator
Titrationator's picture
Setback vs Greazer

I wanted to bring up a card interaction within the decks of the hero, Setback and the team villian, Greazer.

The specific cards are as follows:

Setback
Silver Lining
"If Setback would be reduced to 0 or fewer HP, remove all Tokens from your Unlucky Pool and restore Setback to HP equal to the amount of Tokens removed this way. Then, destroy this card. "

Greazer
Living Paycheck
" This card is indestructible and cannot leave this play area until Greazer is incapacitated. If there are ever no active Hero character cards in this play area, incapacitate Greazer."

The scenario in question had the Living Paycheck played onto Setback. Setback had Silver Lining in play, and a few Tokens in his Unlucky Pool. It was Setback's turn and he had 2 HP left. He had played a card that dealt damage to himself, reducing himself to less than 0 HP.

The question is, whenever Silver Lining is activated, is Setback considered inactive at any point, activating the effects of Living Paycheck, incapacitating Greazer. Or is he considered active the entire time, keeping Greazer in the game?

The rule book also states,
"When a Hero is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, remove all of that Hero's cards from the game, leaving only the Hero character card, flipping it over so their incapacitated side is up."

We had ruled for that game, that Setback is considered to be active at all points during this progression , and that Silver Lining has priority of the effects of normal incapacitating.

I would like to see what other people would think in this situation and get a more official ruling.

Dandolo
Dandolo's picture
Playtester

I believe you ruled that correctly since Setback's character card never flipped he remained active throughout.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Setback is never incapped so you played this correctly.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

The key line is

"If Setback would be reduced to 0 or fewer HP"

so it kicks in before he would take that damage and he's never at 0 or less to be incapped.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Also welcome to the forums.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome to the forums!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Titrationator
Titrationator's picture

Hey thanks much, just wanted to run this unusual situation so I wasn't playing incorrectly.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Incidentally, Fanatic's Aegis of Resurrection would work the same way.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

metaphysician

OTOH, could you feed him only one of the Sentinels, assuming you somehow found a way to put the Living Paycheck on one of them?

( Yes, I know it attaches to the hero with the highest HP, but conceivably there could be *some* effect that would relocate it legally, if not in a current deck than in some future deck. )

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

I believe the effect of Living Paycheck states that there have to be no active heroes in the play area in order for Greaser to incap himself, so he wouldn't fly off until all the Sentinels were incapped.