The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Sentinels and spring break

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
morph147
Sentinels and spring break

So spring break is coming up and I am looking forward to getting more than 3 hours of sleep and lots of sentinels. What is the likelihood that rook city expansion will be out on iPad by let's say end of day tomorrow when it starts......

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Well.... If you watched the Twitch live stream on Tuesday or the youtube video the day after, you can tell it's not 100% complete... aaaaand having experience with software development, ummm two days later with no announcement? ummm.... i'll saaaay.... 99% chance of a yes?

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

morph147

UXM266 wrote:

Well.... If you watched the Twitch live stream on Tuesday or the youtube video the day after, you can tell it's not 100% complete... aaaaand having experience with software development, ummm two days later with no announcement? ummm.... i'll saaaay.... 99% chance of a yes?

lol well worth a shot. Haven't had a chance to watch the last episode. Plus they have said there will no longer be announcements till they go live just a maybe.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We'll be announcing a release date at some point, but for now it's still "when it's ready."

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

Greywind
Greywind's picture
Playtester

Which is always a good time to release something.

morph147

MigrantP wrote:

We'll be announcing a release date at some point, but for now it's still "when it's ready."

which other game companies would do that.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Valve.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

morph147

Christopher wrote:

Valve.

lol opps Christopher. My last post was a joke on all the games that come out not ready and full of bugs to the point they have to patch it 10 times to make it playable. See ubisoft 

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

Valve.

Also Blizzard.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Donner wrote:

Christopher wrote:
Valve.

Also Blizzard.

Don't forget Bethesda

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

And I'm pretty sure Frontier Developments did that too ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

But APART from Valve, and Blizzard, and Bethesda, and Frontier Developments, and the aqueducts, and the roads...

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

UXM266 wrote:
Donner wrote:
 Christopher wrote:
Valve. 

Also Blizzard.

Don't forget Bethesda

Erm... Bethesda is the last company I'd name for such a thing. The common running joke on video game forums is that their bug testing deparment is nonexsitant.

Definitely Blizzard though. They're the first one that came to mind. Used to be Nintendo, but nowadays they have lots of DLC and other stuff that shows their games are unfinished.

Also, isn't using Handelabra Games as an example of such sort of counterintuitive? How many features does the game still have in the works? Not even talking about the expansions and such, just things like multiplayer and the statistics... If they add everything they plan to, the game in its current state is more of a really well bug-tested beta than a complete game.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Mario, you're conflating two concepts here.

What the posters above are talking about is quality, which is very important to us, and is what I'm talking about when I say it'll be out when it's ready.

The other thing is features. We're not restricted to the old console model where the game has to be "finished" before it is released. We prefer to work with an agile model where we can get a fun quality game out to players relatively quickly, and improve it over time based on their real feedback and not just what we imagine to be important. It's how most web services are developed these days, and is finding a place in game development too, particularly in the mobile space.

We aspire to be like Valve in the first way, but not in the second way =)

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

morph147

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

UXM266 wrote:
Donner wrote:
 Christopher wrote:
Valve.  

Also Blizzard.

Don't forget Bethesda

Erm... Bethesda is the last company I'd name for such a thing. The common running joke on video game forums is that their bug testing deparment is nonexsitant.Definitely Blizzard though. They're the first one that came to mind. Used to be Nintendo, but nowadays they have lots of DLC and other stuff that shows their games are unfinished.Also, isn't using Handelabra Games as an example of such sort of counterintuitive? How many features does the game still have in the works? Not even talking about the expansions and such, just things like multiplayer and the statistics... If they add everything they plan to, the game in its current state is more of a really well bug-tested beta than a complete game.

basically we are talking about the fact we want our games to actually work when we get them. not play for 2 hours, the game freak out, and then have to start all over.

MarioFanaticXV
MarioFanaticXV's picture

morph147 wrote:
basically we are talking about the fact we want our games to actually work when we get them. not play for 2 hours, the game freak out, and then have to start all over.

Exactly why I said that Bethesda was the last company I'd name for such. They're notorious for making buggy, broken games and leaving them for their fans to fix. Go to any video game forum and even their own fans will ridicule you for playing the games without mods.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

MarioFanaticXV wrote:

morph147 wrote:

Exactly why I said that Bethesda was the last company I'd name for such. They're notorious for making buggy, broken games and leaving them for their fans to fix. Go to any video game forum and even their own fans will ridicule you for playing the games without mods.

At that point, it sounds like they are just being elitist, not fixing bugs.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I can't say I've had any particular problems with bugs in any of the Elder Scrolls games (other than one time in Morrowind I can remember getting stuck in some scenery somewhere and falling through the world)...maybe I just got lucky or something ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

CD Projekt Red (see the teaser trailer for Cyberpunk 2077 for a trailer with that phrase in it!)

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Humble-Knight
Humble-Knight's picture

That trailer is great

morph147

Spring break half over. So many paper games of sentinels accomplished