The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Scenario Balance Question

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
alex.w.jacobs
Scenario Balance Question

I apologzie in advance if this is the result of my missing something in the rulle book.  I looked through but can't find a way the scenarios address balance.  In the introductory scenario, for example, Baron Blade has two turns when fighting two heroes.  Makes sense as he has to do a lot more.  But he also only has two turns when fighting up to four heroes.  The only thing that seems to change is how many times they need to incapacitate him.  Am I reading this correctly or is there another balancing factor that I'm not considering?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Nope. Thats the balance scale for the scenario. More incaps are needed with more heros, but Baron still has about the same amount of time to hack into all the terminals regardless of # of heros.

alex.w.jacobs

Curious.  It strikes me as problematic but I'll wait to play it a few times before criticizing, and wait to see what the stats-tracking projects turn up.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Also note that scenario 1 is supposed to be slightly easier for heros, where as scenario 2/3 is supposed to favor Baron Blade a little more. You will see this sort of thing happen through most scenarios. 

Omnitron scenario 1 favors him more than his scenario 2 which tends to edge out more toward heros. 

You won't find a 100% balance in any of these things, but it is still very competitive and thats the goal

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It is important to remember that not all of the scenarios are balanced with the idea of a perfect 50-50 chance of either side winning.

Some favor heroes, some favor the villain, none too drastically, but they aren't all intended to be a toss up.

alex.w.jacobs

I can accept that.  It is, effectively, a three-part game so that makes sense.  Thanks for clarifying.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I win about 4 out of 5 games I play as Baron Blade when playing the first scenario.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

Christopher wrote:

I win about 4 out of 5 games I play as Baron Blade when playing the first scenario.

Does that exclude games where you change what powers do in the middle of the game? :p

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Yawp. 

Heck, it even excludes games where I stop to make it harder on me halfway through the game.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

DrScott

I don't know, my son and I just played the Baron Blade issue.  He had Wraith and Ra and just wiped the floor with me.  The first scenario wasn't particularly close, the second was just an exercise in utter futility (not a single turret or Blade Batalion lasted longer than two hero turns, and 90% of them went during the first skirmish) and the third was actually, honestly, anti-fun.  I think he ended the game only down by two rounds.  At no point in any of the three games did I feel like I had any sort of particular advantage.  I think the biggest problem was being reduced to only two actions for the second and third scenarios - I just never had enough room to build any momentum and stayed behind the whole time.

"You've got to kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight." B. Cockburn