The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Rule book question about line of sight

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
Damurack
Rule book question about line of sight

On page 8 in the rule book there is an example of line of sight. It says there that Bunker does not have line of sight on the assault drone because there is a level 2 hex between them. However, bunker is on a level 3 hex and the assault drone is on a level 1. So, does that mean the level 2 blocks line of sight when it's a straight decent like that?

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

It is due to having two hexes of elevation 2 between him and the drone.  Bunker can't draw a line to the drone without going through two hexes of elevation two.   If the drone was also on elevation 2 or the hexes in a line from Bunker to the drone were elevation 1 he would have LoS.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

The line of Sight rules for Tactics are very simple, so there are situations where they will fail a reality check.

Two targets have line of sight is there are no hexes between them that are higher than either of them.

So line of sight from an elevation 3 hex to an elevation 1 hex will be broken if it goes through any hex that is higher than elevation 1.

By the rules if the Drone was farther away and every new hex between them was elevation 1, the elevation 2 hexes right next to bunker still block line of sight.

That doesn't stop you from house ruling the line of sight rules to be more realistic and complex, they just chose to keep line of sight rules incredibly simple for this game, and completely math free.

Damurack

Ok thanks. I was mainly curious because you can draw a straight line that goes from Bunker (lev 3) to Assault Drone (lev 1), by drawing a straight line (lev 3, lev 2, lev 1, lev 1). But if any elevation above the lowest blocks, I can understand that.

Metro__plex

I have another question on line of sight.  This is proably due to me applying real world condition in the game.

on page 10 it talks about Baron Blade using his Fision Blaster on Ra, in what they show he is roling 5 dice. 

(what I'm saying would take an extra action)  

But if he had moved up one space he still has line of sight because there is nothing higher than either point, and that would give him and extra die.

I have played on a map where a guy was standing back three spaces on an elivation 3(?) and was hitting someone on ground level because there was no point higher inbetween them.

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

The examples in the rule book may not all be the correct strategic decision for the situation -- they're just there to illustrate rules and concepts. People who play imperfectly have rules questions too. :p

Metro__plex

I was just trying using it as an example from the book so that everybody can look at it.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Metro__plex wrote:

I was just trying using it as an example from the book so that everybody can look at it.

Sorry if I missed it, but what is your question?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Metro__plex

On page 10 in the Rule book it states Baron Blade is attacking Ra with his Fision Blaster.

If Baron Blade was one More hex upward he is on elevation 3 every hex around him is also a 3 so he would be far from a ledge. could he still have line of site on Ra who is at ground level.

Think most of my problem is with real world logic applied to a game.

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

You do not have line of site if there is an elevation higher than either the attcker or defender.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"