The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Round out this first-time team?

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eric V
Round out this first-time team?

Hello all,

I hope I can get some advice here.  I am bringing the game to my college to play with some colleagues before our meeting.  I sent out bios of the heroes (base set and first expansion only) to them to choose their heroes beforehand.  So far, they have chosen Fanatic, Tachyon, and Visionary.  

I wanted to go last to pick a hero that would be a best fit...any advice?  It's my 2nd time playing the game (instantly hooked!) and their first.

Thanks in advance!

Eric

"Wait, what did you say your mother's name was?"
-The Wraith, Wraith vs. Legacy One-Shot

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Legacy is never a bad choice for rounding out playing this game the first time with others as he makes them the rest of the team better and my secondary one would be Tempest since they have a lot of versatility 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Legacy is never a bad choice for rounding out playing this game the first time with others as he makes them the rest of the team better and my secondary one would be Tempest since they have a lot of versatility 

Both good choices.  Ra is a good one, as well, as he's pretty straightforward and very thematic.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

You can almost never go wrong adding Legacy to a team.  He works especially well with Fanatic and Tachyon, since they have lots of low-damage attacks.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

carnilius
Playtester

Completionist Guise, and in the MMFFCC versus Wager Master! (No, don't do that, please.)

I agree with everyone else that Legacy is your best bet.  Also make sure that it is against Baron Blade in Insula Primalis, as that is the intended first scenario.

rjc917
rjc917's picture
Playtester

I would agree with Legacy.  I don't like playing him that much, but having him around usually makes the game more fun for everyone else.

Do you know who you'll be fighting?  If the villain has damage reduction, the Tachyon and Fanatic players might get frustrated without someone like Legacy to boost their damage.

I'll also add that Christopher has said several times that Insula Primalis is the best environment for the first time playing the game.

Eric V

Thanks for the input, everyone!  My instincts were pointing towards Legacy, but The Wraith kept calling my name... :)

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Hey, if Wraith calls to you, she's still a fantastic choice.  Legacy is the king of synergy, but Wraith is strong in her own right.

Submit your games here!

carnilius
Playtester

Eric V wrote:

The Wraith kept calling my name... :)

You really can't go wrong in terms of combinations with the base set as long as you have at least one hero that can get rid of Ongoings (which all three of the previous choices can, as can Wraith) (Not to say you can't win with a team of Legacy, Ra, and Bunker, and Haka, just can paint yourself into some nasty situations that you wouldn't want to deal with on a first game).

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Just a note, be careful of a new person with the Visionary as things like Precognition can really slow the game down as they need to learn the villain cards as well. Similarly, she can feel passive compared against more damage dealing heroes.

I’d also recommend Legacy as he makes everyone else better but is hard to overshadow with. The Wraith, by contrast, can easily overshadow them, or seem to. It’s hard to compete with 8 damage a round when you’re doing 1 or 2. Which is why he’s recommended for demoing with.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

This team has great destruction, lots of ping damage, fantastic card draw and deck control and a few big shots of damage if needed.

That's a really solid team already.

Legacy honestly makes you the "LOL watch villain die so hard" team with boosts to all that ping damage and even more villain control.  I'd honestly go with Bunker over Legacy.  You don't really need more damage or prevention or villain manipulation.  What you need is steady damage and cards to sacrifice if limited destruction comes up.

Eric V

Thanks for this, everyone! We had a fifth player join last minute so the team was Fanatic, Tachyon, Bunker, Visionary, and Legacy.

We played against Baron Blade in the Insula Primalis, as suggested. It was great fun, with no one going down, though Legacy came close.

That led us to a question: How common is it to win without a single hero becoming incapacitated?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

You might be asking the wrong people. Experienced players rarely have anyone incapped (my wife doesn't even consider us to have won if someone goes down) except in the hardest scenarios. The stats project (link in my sig) has data on how often each hero is incapped, but that includes losses. I could figure out the exact answer but it would take time.

Submit your games here!

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Depends on the villain, hero and environment combinations. But usually you can do it without too much trouble. Some heroes encourage a reckless playstyle which makes them more likely to go down (AZ, Fanatic, for example) but they also tend to have abilities in their deck to mitigate it.

The harder the villain, the less likely it is, but even against 4 difficulty you can win without losing anytone if you're careful and a bit lucky.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

I rarely get heroes incap, and when I do it usually due to poor luck or me trying something tricky. It not the end of the world, there is some synergy with Hero incaps. I have had games where one hero was incap but everyone else was above 20.

My favorite wins is when there is only one hero up and about to lose but with everyone's incap you manage to pull a win.

I hope you keep enjoying this game and welcome to the community.

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star