The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Rites of Revival with a few Edge Cases

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture
Rites of Revival with a few Edge Cases

Just learned today that if you incap Setback in Temple of Zhu Long, and then bring him back through Rites of Revival, his Unlucky Pool is equivalent to what it was before he flipped. Generally, since most heroes lose have all cards are removed from play when they incap, this seems like an interesting edge case. But, also has me wondering about a few other cases as well:

- What happens with The Sentinels when they are brought back? Does one of the four heroes flip? Do all four? Does only the setup card, which immedeately flips back because all heroes are incapped?

- Related to the above, can Rites be used to bring back an incapped Sentinels character card when any of the others are still in play?

- Requital Captain Cosmic has a "pile of cards" beneath his character card which may or may not be a deck. What happens to any of his constructs that are in play when he flips? Do the cards beneath his character card get shuffled back into his deck?

- If cards have been removed from the game (example, Setting Sun Ra), are they brought back into the game when the hero is revived? Or are they in a special ultra special removed from play state that can't be affected by Rites?

Ario
Ario's picture
Playtester

Rites of Revival says to flip a "hero character card," so you could use it on any of the sentinels without all of them being flipped, and not all four could be flipped at once. 

I assume that if you bring one of them back (or more on succesive turns,) their set-up card stays flipped, which is very interesting if true. 

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

We'll ask Christopher about these things, thanks!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

If Setting Sun Ra removes his card from the game you wouldn't be able to flip it, that one should not work.

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

I think the question is not about Ra's character card, but his other cards that could have been removed from the game before he was incapacitated.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Another example is, say, Final Wasteland removes a target from a deck before the hero is incapped (example: Final Wasteland removes Mr. Chomps, Unity is incapped, and then is brought back by Rites of Revival. Does Unity come back with a 39 card deck or 40? Seems like a weird set up, but OblivAeon having two environments makes this possible.)

Thanks for checking with Christopher, MigrantP! Out of curiosity, is the Setback situation above (i.e. returning with his tokens) intended behavior or a possible bug?

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

It's probably a bug, but we'll make sure. The following is going to be in the fireside chats (when approved by Christopher):

Suppose Sky-Scraper is incapacitated and has used the “become a target” incapacitated ability. If she is revived using Rites of Revival, the 1 HP indestructible target status is wiped, and she is her regular self at 8 HP with a 33 HP max and is fully destructible. Rites of Revival essentially resets the character, starting anew.

I think it follows that unlucky pool should also be reset.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

...after all, Setback would have to be VERY lucky to be such a klutz and still be resurrected!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Cards from your deck that were removed should come back.  At the point where you are being revived those cards were removed from the game, but so was the rest of your deck  The wording is the same.  The cards share the same status, so they should be treated the same way.

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

bobbertoriley wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Another example is, say, Final Wasteland removes a target from a deck before the hero is incapped (example: Final Wasteland removes Mr. Chomps, Unity is incapped, and then is brought back by Rites of Revival.

This can't actually happen, since you're talking about two separate environments.

...He said, and then thought, "What about Oblivaeon style play?" Oh dear.

bobbertoriley
bobbertoriley's picture

...Which I literally stated two sentences after where you stopped your quote. :P

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

Gosh darn the dangit.