The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Read any good Comics lately?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony
Read any good Comics lately?

Starting another thread about recent comics since I havn't done one in a while.

• I'm really loving the first The Ultimates run that leads into the current The Ultimates 2. It's an exciting romp around the massive Cosmic Heirarchy shakeup post the messy Secret Wars event. And while other cosmic titles are ok, nothing delves into the deep end of it like this book. With SotM's OblivAeon on the horizon, this is fantastic reading that scratches a big itch
  • ​The current Avengers ​has been really solid for me, though it has it's stumbles. I dislike the dual story nature they have on alternate releases (similar to what they are doing with the current Wonder Woman book at DC) but after the last release (#15) the larger picture is starting to come together to make for something very interesting. I will say this though, there are not many Kang stories that are engaging for me, but this book might have done a great one. I'll leave it at that.
  • It's been a little taxing following Captain America: Steve Rogers as you need to also pull Thunder Bolts and the current Unncanny Avengers books to really fully grasp the story being told. I pretty much hate this kind of direction where you can't just read a single book you like for a story arc, but honestly the story being told, as intertwined as it is, I feel is worth it.
  • Now that the unabridaled mess of Inhumans V X-Men is over with, it seems Marvel, the previous runs of the X-men and Inhumans books are ending and giving way, yet again, to new titles. X-Men Gold #1 seems like it wants to be the new main book and take the main squad back to the basics after a few years now of floundering trying to find a footing. It remains to be seen if it can, but I'm looking forward going back to the good old days of Magneto and Emma Frost being bad guys and a core team of familiar X-faces. I'll likely be skipping X-Men Blue, the adventures of the younger time-displaced original team as it seems that Jean will be getting her own book soon and that interests me more. Weapon X will be one I certainly pull once released next month however as the cast of characters are right up my ally and I'm hoping for a spiritual successor of the old X-Force books.

Here are some books I have yet to catch up on:

• Venom
  • Amazing Spiderman
  • The Flash
  • Thanos
  • Spiderman/Deadpool
  • Red Hood and the Outlaws
  • Moon Knight
  • Mighty Thor
  • Infamous Iron Man
  • Doctor Strange (both his solo and Sorc. Supreme books)
  • Detective Comics
  • Batman
  • Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps.
jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I've got the collected Immortal Iron Fist checked out, after binging the show. I didn't think the show was nearly as bad as some other people did, but it's far from my favorite of the Marvel Netflix stuff. 

My ranking would be:

• Daredevil season 2, episodes 1-4 (Punisher arc)
  • Jessica Jones
  • Luke Cage, first half
  • Daredevil season 1
  • Iron Fist
  • Daredevil season 2, remainder
  • Luke Cage, second half
PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

The recent run on The Vision--now collected in two trade paperbacks--is some of the best comics writing I've seen in the last decade.  Amazingly good stuff!

Iexiamari

The French comic book "Asterix" brings me the pleasure of watching their suites, I love these heroes Alyax's chicken and good-natured Obelix)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Iexiamari wrote:

The French comic book "Asterix" brings me the pleasure of watching their suites, I love these heroes Alyax's chicken and good-natured Obelix)

In case no one has said it to you yet, welcome to the forums

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

I just got turned on to a series called East of West. I've only gotten a few issues into it but I really like it.

speedyolrac
speedyolrac's picture
Playtester

After a long break from comic books I have fallen in love with Gwen Poole. I have not laughed so hard in a long while. I wanna make a character like her in the SotM RPG.

I am not a huge Deadpool fan but Gwen Poole won me over. I need to post the panel that won me over .

"A stranger is a friend you haven't met yet." - Star

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

What little I've read about her has made me want to read her comic. :D

UXM266
UXM266's picture
PlaytesterUnique Capabilities

Read "Seven To Eternity" Volume 1 is out now.

Beautiful part, part sci-fi, part fantasy, and overall a fantastic read. 

I THOUGHT I was the the last Scion but it's actually .....

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

UXM266 wrote:

Read "Seven To Eternity" Volume 1 is out now.Beautiful part, part sci-fi, part fantasy, and overall a fantastic read.  

Huge fan of Seven to Eternity so far. I'm so captivated by the entire world and story and the artwork is crazy good.

Say what you want about Remender, but his Uncanny X-Force run was probably the greatest thing ever in comics since Watchmen, so if I see his name I'm probably picking it up. 

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Foote wrote:

UXM266 wrote:
Read "Seven To Eternity" Volume 1 is out now.Beautiful part, part sci-fi, part fantasy, and overall a fantastic read.  

Huge fan of Seven to Eternity so far. I'm so captivated by the entire world and story and the artwork is crazy good.Say what you want about Remender, but his Uncanny X-Force run was probably the greatest thing ever in comics since Watchmen, so if I see his name I'm probably picking it up. 

Read Tokyo Ghost then. Only 2 volumes. It's phenomenal 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

That was a short and sweet 10 issues. Really enjoyed it

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Foote wrote:

That was a short and sweet 10 issues. Really enjoyed it

Tokyo Ghost? Totally. Beautiful, but highly depressing. 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Have you read any of Black Science? I just started and it's equally as awesome!

UXM266
UXM266's picture

Foote wrote:

Have you read any of Black Science? I just started and it's equally as awesome!

I've read the first 4 volumes. I like it, the first two were fantastic, but I lost interest, maybe I'm too busy, or just distracted. But It's a good read

seesome
seesome's picture

two recent recommendations:

1) If you liked Tom King's The Vision (and who wouldn't), then I'd strongly recommend his The Omega Men mini-series (12 issues, colleced in a single TPB).  Like the Vision, Omega Men tels a straight up story while shining light onto some dark corners of the super-hero psyche.   Knowledge of the old 80s/90s Omega Men stuff is completely unnecessary, as this is a complete reboot.  Basically it's about a group of resistance fighters from various planets teaming up to overthrow the opressive regime that keeping their worlds enslaved (with the classic SF trope in which the population of each planet has a different special power/ability).  What makes this compelling is that King is really interested in exploring what happens when the heroic rebels start to use the same methods that the evil empire is using against them. At what point do heroes become terrorists? A good, dark story.

2) On a much lighter note, I've recently fallen in love with the webcomic Star Power, a classic SF/superhero adventure story about a young astronomer whorking on a distant space station belonging to the Millenium Federation becomes imbued with the "Star Power" - turning her into that universe's only superhero.  She then finds herself quickly thrown into the mystery of where this power came from and why various forces are suddenly trying to kill her.  A fun and charming series, Star Power is a throwback to classic fun comics. Plus, you can read it for free online at: http://www.starpowercomic.com/ The creators publish the comic pages online for free and then do a kickstarter once a year to collect the story arc into a trade.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome