The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

pyrotechnics, poisons, and a plethora of other questons.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
n14118
Playtester
pyrotechnics, poisons, and a plethora of other questons.

so, i've played about 4 or 5 games now, with games including nearly every character, and i find myself curious about several things. Now that i've started, i realize i have a lot of questions..... you have been warned.

1: ambuscade

a: cloaking device says (paraphrazed) power up: if ambuscade is not on the map, place him, then return it to your hand. This is still part of the power up phase, yes? So in addition to returning it to your hand, you would also put down a new power because you're now one short? and, as it's now in your hand, not out, couldn't you just re-pick cloaking device?

b: If you play cloaking device, what happens if you've got adder's bite on you and one hit point left?  the general rule is that the current player picks the order of concurrent events, so do you dissapear then die? if so, where go you appear for incap? Or are you immune to damage while cloaked?

c: rigged explosives: with an action, you move and or place all trap markers, face down, into unoccupied hexes. do you get to look at them, or do you know as little about which is a bomb as everyone else? how ambuscade used to work implies random, but it doesn't say anything one way or another.

d: do rigged explosives themselves occupy spaces? Hazards don't occupy, but they aren't hazards, they just kind of vaguely work like them. If they don't, can you just stack all of them in a single space, because it's unnocupied? if they do occupy, you aren't allowed to end your move occupying an already occupied space and while, yes, it would flip and go away, are you even allowed to try to end there?

e: feedback plating says blocks an attack die, not blocks attack dice. does that mean it gives a -1 per die blocked? or just the first?

2:the operative:

a: Undivided attention: if you chosen target gets incapped then comes back, do they still count as your chosen target? what about if a bot leaves play, but comes back into play(and you for some reason didn't pick a new card. maybe you were in the bathroom or soemthing.)

b: same card. it adds 2 dice to attacks against the target. if there are other targets of the attack, say youre using poison breath or bitter spiral, do the only go agains that target, as if they were attack +1's, or is it applied to the entire attack because the target is included?

c: poisons: these are referred to (by themselves) as being in the operative's hand. can you just play them on yourself? say, boars rage to get some att+1, or adders bite to spite someone out of a kill by killing yourself. even when applied normally, are they randomized, or do you pick your poison, so to speak?

3: proletariat/general: is push optional?

4: Unity/turret bot: this is just about the only hazard situation where this is a question, but does this still apply if he doesn't have line of sight?

5: Tachyon

a: hypersonic assault. does this already ignore elevation, or only if you have the world stands still out?

b: unrelenting momentum. do you have to have paid for the first to to get the third free? for example, accelerated assault. action 1 sprint, free nimble strike. action 2, sprint, free nimble strike. we have now used both sprint and nimble strike twice. could i then use my free sprint and follow up with a nimble strike due to accelerated assault, followed by a fourth free nimble strike granted by unrelenting momentum, or would it just grant the free action that was used to sprint? basically, its a question about the definition of action. can it apply to lightspeed barrage, giving you a third at no health cost, if you've already activated it twice this turn?

6: Omnitron V.... is he as underwhelming as he seems? i haven't really gotten to play him yet.

7: absolute zero

a: impaling structure. hazards don't occupy hexes, right? so, can they can be stacked on top of eachother? both different types, and the same type? how about ambuscades bombs?

b: thermal shockwave: more of a general question, really. how does reach interact with area?

8: citizen dawn

a: citizen truth: the whole making him the defender bit. Does range factor to the original target, or to truth? do melee attacks just not happen?

b:Devistating aurora. does this require line of sight? its not really an attack, so i'm inclined to think it doesn't, but i figured if i'm here, i'd ask.

9: Ra:

a: drawn to the flame: 'push each other target in radius 3 on hex, then make this attack'. is this implying that pushes can be pulls? because other wise, this seems extremely strange.

b:blazing tornado. so, this is just stationary? stuck in a single space unless you ditch it then bring it back somewhere else? also, does the hazard attack count as ra making an attack? can you use +1 counters? does it trigger flame spike? does it count for solar flare?

10: general skirmish question? is there a general rule for map size or victory goal (as in number of incaps) based on the number of people playing?

i realize this is a crap ton of questions, so thanks for reading, and thank you very much to anyone who weighs in.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

1. a. Yes you can place a a power card. However you cannot place Cloaking Device again, because a rule is a card taken back into hand during the Power Up phase cannot be replayed on the same Power Up phase.

b. He is not a target when Cloaked, so he would not take any damage.

c. I'm fairly certain you can look.

d. You cannot end you movement occupied by another target, ending your movement on a non-target token is fine. All tokens occupy a space though, so no you cannot stack them.

e. I think it's for each.

2. a. An incapped target that has stood up is the same target. As for the Bots, I think they would still count as well.

b. Only towards the single target.

c. You cannot play them on yourself. When you can play them on another target, you get to choose which one you are playing.

3. I believe Push is not optional. I certainly can't find anything saying it is optional.

4. No, if the attack does not specify it ignores Line of Sight, then it requires Line of Sight.

5. a. It does not ignore Elevation.

b. You would only trigger a free sprint, using Nimble Strike's attack for you active attack when sprinting is not using an action.

6. He doesn't seem underwelming to me.

7. a. Impaling Structures does not have a restriction of putting them on an unoccupied space, so yes you can place them ontop of eachother.

b. Same way it does with any attack, it treats range as being one closer.

8. a. Not 100% positve, but I believe it checks range towards Truth instead. So melee attacks would no hit unless next to Truth as well.

b. It does not require Line of Sight.

9. a.Push can move a target in any direction.

b. It's stationary. If you want to move it you will have to take it to hand then replay it on your next turn. It does count as Ra making the attack.

10. No specific map size. How many incaps are required to win is up to the players.

Most of these answers I am very certain on. A few of them are ones make the most sense to me and my reading of the rules.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Ronway wrote:

All tokens occupy a space though, so no you cannot stack them

Where does it say that?  Didn't we decide in playtesting that you could stack turrets on top of pylons, or whatever it was for that scenario?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

SeraAlexandria

1:

a. It counts as your return for that powerup phase so you can't replace it with itself.

b. I'm fairly certain Adder's Bite doesn't care if you're on the map or not, since it's not making an attack against you. I'd rule that you appear incapacitated where you were originally standing, but I don't believe this situation is described anywhere in the rules. Unless the poison just doesn't affect you.

c. I'm fairly certain you get to know what they are when you go to place them. Other players don't, but as the bounty hunter, you're going to know where you plant duds and real bombs. You aren't going to be so incompitent as to throw them out randomly. Is "how ambuscade used to work" referring to the card game? He wasn't controlled by anyone in the card game so random was the only way to do it such that no players knew what was what if that was the case.

d. I'm fairly certain you can stack them. You pretty much guarantee those spaces will just be avoided at all cost though since they'd be taking multiple explosions. It's probably better to spread them out.

e. Pretty sure it's per die blocked.

a. I'd say no. They stop being a target when they get incapped, so when they get up it's like you're dealing with a new target. The bots are a definite no. When they leave and come back, they're completely different targets.

b. The two dice would only be applied to the target, like attack +1 dice.

c. I think you might be able to. I don't see why not. I haven't played with her yet, but it makes sense that she'd be able to take her own poison if she wanted to. It's not random. You get to choose.

3. Yes. Just like you don't have to move your full movement value, I'm fairly certain you only push as much as you want.

4. Yes, Turret Bot needs line of site. All attacks need line of site from their origin to hit. Any hazard that is no larger than Radius 1 will always have Line of Sight though, so there are very few places where this is relevant.

a. I believe it says you move your full move value. If so, it does not ignore elevation unless you have World Stands Still

b. I've been playing it the way you described. I'd like to hear what other people say about it. It does not apply to Light Speed Barage, however. Actions are things that take an action to do. Even so, Light Speed Barage applies to the next attack you make, so if you activated two before making another attack, they would both apply to the next attack and be redundant.

6. I don't really have an answer for this question. He seems fine to me so far. I'd need significantly more playing to really rate characters in tiers.

a. I don't recall there being different types of Impaling Structures, but they can be stacked.

b. Reach does not interact with area. It interacts with range. If the opponent is at range 4, your 3,2, and 1 dice will be misses due to not making range. If you have "Reach +2" when you're checking range, you add +2 to your dice values. So in the example, for range purposes, 3s would be seen as 5s, 2s would be seen as 4s, and both would make range and range 4. 1 would be seen as a 3 and now make range at range 4.

a. The attack is still made on the target, you just use Citizen Truth's defense and health to block it. He is essentially leaping in the way and then going back to his space.

b. It's not an attack, so I would say it doesn't. That's how I've been treating similar effects, such as the defense aura turrets Baron Blade makes, and Champion Bot. If I'm wrong, someone could correct me.

a. Pushes are forced movement in any direction. They can indeed be pulls as well.

b. In previous rulings on this board, if the thing being created is a target in and of itself, it counts as that target making the attack. You can't use your tokens to make it stronger. In this case, the Tornado is not a target, same with Impaling Structures for that matter, so it counts as an attack from Ra. I'm fairly certain it triggers that stuff, but I'd have to read the cards again to be 100% certain.

10. There's not really a Skirmish Rule. One of the scenarios is basically a generic skirmish and you can use it as an example. Otherwise I'd say do what you feel is fun and test the waters a bit. You can also wait for tournaments to be a thing and see what the rules they use for those are.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

1. Ambuscade

a. No, it still left during the power up.  It can't leave and re-enter.

b.  You would incap, and it would count as an incapacitation for game purposes.  When the card leaves play you would place Ambuscade anywhere on the map like it was the normal resolution of cloak, only he'd be incapped.  You aren't immune to damage.

c.  Your choice you can choose to look at them before placing.  I'd let them look when moving them as well.

d.  They do not occupy.  They are not intended to be stacked more than one to a space, and while the rules would seem to allow it, it isn't intended that way.

e.  one per die blocked.  but only on Melee attacks.

2.  Operative

a.  Incapped targets are still selected, when they stand up they are still selected.  Things that leave the map and re-enter would be different targets, and not have the bonus against them.

b.  The two dice are only against the selected target.

c.  The Poison's cannot be played like power cards.

3.  Proletariat:  Push is only optional if it says it is.

4.  Turret Bot:  All Hazard spaces require line of sight, unless they specifically say they do not.

10.  General Skirmishes use the 7 piece circle and the number of incaps = to the number of characters on each team.  You can do whatever you want with it though.

5.  Tachyon:

a.  Hypersonic Assault does not ignore elevation changes.

b.  You have to use an action for it to count, it works with Accelerated assault, Hypersonic Assault, movement, etc.  It does not work with attacks that had no cost from Accelerated Assault or Hypersonic Assault, or Lightspeed Barrage.  Furthermore Lightspeed Barrage is not unlmited, only Tachyon's actions are unlimited.

6  Omnitron-V:  Is my favorite character.  Adaptive Subroutine and Tactics are awesome, but Occular Beams and Remote Tranquilizer are awesome.  Interpolation field is the single most shenanigan based card in the game.  Also Omni can't be moved.  He's not insane, but he's really good.  His mobility and the nature of how he moves makes him really mobile inspite of his low move rolls.

7.  Absolute Zero

a.  Impaling Sturctures don't occupy spaces and they can be stacked, but they have to be placed adjacent to the last one placed.  A trap can occupy a space with impaling structures.

b.  Reach affects checking dice for range, it has no effect on radius or origin.  When you check the range of the area attack for what dice make range, that is when reach will apply.

8.  Dawn

a.  I believe he rolls defense and takes damage for the attack, but other than that it stays the same as if the original target was being attacked.

b.  Nope.  No line of sight recquired for Aurora.

9.  Ra

a.  Push is forced movement, it can be in any direction.

b.  Blazing Tornado sits still, when it could sprint it was insanely overpowered.  It basically works as map control as well as a great combo with drawn to the flame.  I believe right now the functioning answer for Tornado and Impaling Structures is that while range and line of sight are counted from the Tornado/Structure, the attack is from the character, so +1s and solar flares can be used.  At least I think that's what is going on.  This one doesn't make sense to me.

If the character is making the attack, why isn't line of sight recquired from the character?  If the Tornado/Structure is making the attack, then how can the Character boost the attack?

10:  A good place to start is the 7 tile circle map and incapacitations = to number of characters on each team for the goal.  You can do it however you want though.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

phantaskippy wrote:

If the character is making the attack, why isn't line of sight recquired from the character?  

Because it does not require Line of Sight directly from the character, it measures Line of Sight from what the character created instead. It appears they have carried over the "the only non-targets that can deal damage is the environment" from Sentinels of the Multiverse.