The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

PW Captain Cosmic and Miss Information rules questions.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Natediggadoggity
PW Captain Cosmic and Miss Information rules questions.

So, PW Captain Cosmic's base power is Absorption: Until the start of your next turn, whenever a Construct card is destroyed, you may shuffle it into your deck instead and either draw a card or play a card. -- From reading past threads (Here and here) I understand that if the player chooses to use that power and shuffle a construct into his deck, on destruction effects don't apply.

I'm assuming that generally, if a villain card effect destroys a hero card, Absorption allows Captain Cosmic to effectively ignore the destroy effect, because he started to destroy his card, but then shuffled it into his deck instead. Just because the card didn't actually get destroyed, doesn't mean he can keep triggering the effect over and over again to keep milling his deck.

For example, "Explosion" in the Lab reads:

At the end of the Villain turn, each Player with 3 or more cards in play must destroy 1 of their cards. -- Captain Cosmic gets to avoid that destruction by activating his power and destroying a construct, and then drawing/playing a card. Now because it wasn't actually destroyed, we don't go back to the text of "Explosion" and say "But it wasn't destroyed, pick another!" Because that would allow Cosmic to keep milling his deck until he runs out of cards in hand, or draw a bunch of cards, but what if there's a choice? A couple of Miss Information's cards have decisions based on whether you destroyed your cards or not, and I'd like to go through some of them and make sure I understand them.

1. "Threat" to the President:

At the end of the Villain turn, the Player with the most cards in play must destroy 1 of their non-Character cards. At the start of the Villain turn, the Players may destroy (H) non-Character Hero cards. If they do, destroy this card. -- Cosmic could dodge the first effect with absorption, but because the 2nd effect is triggered by card destruction, he wouldn't be able to trigger it with absorption unless he actually let his cards go to the trash.

2. Another Reality's debt:

Each Player must either discard their hand or destroy all their cards. -- So PW Captain Cosmic decided to destroy all his cards, he has 5 constructs in play and 5 cards in hand. He then decided to shuffle each of them into his deck, and played all cards in his hand (5 more constructs). But his 5 original constructs never got destroyed, so does he now have to discard all cards in his hand? (0) or destroy all his cards in play? (creating a loop, not quite infinite, since he probably won't only keep drawing more constructs, he has ongoings and oneshots too). Most likely in this case, neither of these options, because he chose the option to destroy all his cards, so he's done. Just making sure though.

3. Isolated Hero:

When this card enters play, put it next to the Hero Character card with the most cards in play. That Hero and that Hero's cards cannot affect or be affected by any other Hero card or effect from another Hero deck. -- So Captain cosmic has played many constructs on his team, if Isolated hero targets him, I assume his constructs stay in play, and are still hero targets, but don't actually confer any benefit on his teammates. But, he can still use them himself, and or heal them with his cosmic crest. Or if one of his teammates that has a construct played on them gets Isolated hero, they lose the ability to gain benefit from them, but the constructs are hero targets that stay in play.

a.   Say, if Wrest the Mind was played on Autonomous blade and Visionary gets isolated. Wrest the mind stays on Autonomous blade, but can't do anything until Isolated hero, or the Autonomous blade is destroyed.

Edit: Another questions just occured to me, if Isolated hero comes out, and the isolated hero destroys equipment to decrease the damage from suspicious malfunction, do they decrease the self damage done for the whole group? Since suspicious malfunction came from the villain deck, I would think this would still be possible.

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

1. Correct!

2. Whenever something destroys all cards, even if a card enters play while it is destroying, the cards will still be destroyed. You might as well use the draw instead of the play, unless you want to get some sort of effect from the other cards, such as Construct Cataclysm. While you may never have destroyed all your cards, you can still select that option even if you had no cards in play, so it's all good.

3. Correct.

3. a. That's a tricky one actually. Due to Isolated Hero makes it as if the card is not even in play, that may mean the target has left play, so Wrest the Mind may be destroyed. I'll have to try and get a similar situation in the Mega Computer and see how it works there.

E. I'm pretty sure it still counts, as the hero card isn't really the one effecting the heroes, it's effecting the villain.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

We had a pretty major discussion thread on how Isolated Hero actually works about 2 years or so ago. No official ruling came down. It's a really tough card to figure out all those little interactions with. 

Idk how relevant this thread is today, but you can check it out here https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/isolated-hero-4352

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:
 Idk how relevant this thread is today, but you can check it out here https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/isolated-hero-4352

Man, that was one of our good ones.  The video game has sucked all the fun out of trying to figure out the rules.  And by fun I mean furiously typing out slight rewordings of the same argument over and over until my fingers hurt.

Those were the days.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Rules can still be argued.   I know some ruling in the game have changed over time.    Primarily you just have to hope your argument convinces Christopher.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:
Foote wrote:

Man, that was one of our good ones.  The video game has sucked all the fun out of trying to figure out the rules.  And by fun I mean furiously typing out slight rewordings of the same argument over and over until my fingers hurt.Those were the days.

I know right? There isn't any good rules arguments like there were back in the days. There is just not as many people I like to troll anymore because everyone is so gosh darn nice nowadays. UGH!

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

Foote wrote:

phantaskippy wrote:
Foote wrote:

Man, that was one of our good ones.  The video game has sucked all the fun out of trying to figure out the rules.  And by fun I mean furiously typing out slight rewordings of the same argument over and over until my fingers hurt.Those were the days.

I know right? There isn't any good rules arguments like there were back in the days. There is just not as many people I like to troll anymore because everyone is so gosh darn nice nowadays. UGH!

So you want some people to stop being nice? *Maniacal Luaghter*

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

As for Isolated Hero I will agree with an earlier version of myself and say affecting a Villain card, even if the Villain card then affects heroes, is not the same as affecting a hero card.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

VisforYoshi wrote:

So you want some people to stop being nice? *Maniacal Luaghter*

No

wink

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)