The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

PSA: There Are Three Versions of Completionist Guise!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
CBattles6
CBattles6's picture
Playtester
PSA: There Are Three Versions of Completionist Guise!

At first glance, I was really disappointed with the foil version of Completionist Guise, which did not appear to have alternate art. However, if you look closer, there are two major differences: He's bagging a different comic book on the front (Justice Comics vs. Prime Wardens), and threre's a different quote on the back ("These are from an extremely limited print run." vs. "I'm going to need like a million dollars for these."). Clever.

HOWEVER, if you really want to be a competionist, there's actually a THIRD version of this card in the Complete Hero Variant Collection. This version has him bagging a copy of Freedom Five, and it has probably my favorite quote of the three ("Some of these have minor variations in the covers that make them really valuable!"). As much as I like this third version, I'm not sure if it's worth opening up that otherwise duplicate set just to pull out a single card.

If anyone from GTG is lurking, any insight into the decision to put an exclusive version of this card in the non-foil variant collection only?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Seems obvious to me.  Because he's Guise, and he's a Completionist.  Of course he has to have all three versions!  And of course it has to be a 4th-wall-breaking gag!

Reminds me of a limited-print vinyl some bands collaborated on called "Make the Collector Nerd Sweat."

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Nilus
Nilus's picture
Playtester

I lol’d when I realized all three were different.  I think it’s just a silly little nod to the character. 

Honestly I’m more unhappy that the variant cards that come with Obilvaeon have better quality art then the foil ones shipped last year for the most part.   Why would anyone want to play with foil Xtreme Prime Wardens when the variant art ones are so much cooler. 

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

Nilus wrote:
Honestly I’m more unhappy that the variant cards that come with Obilvaeon have better quality art then the foil ones shipped last year for the most part.   Why would anyone want to play with foil Xtreme Prime Wardens when the variant art ones are so much cooler. 
I haven't seen those cards yet, but at some point Adam talked about needing to have simpler art for the foiling to work.
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I actually think the alternates look better, for the most part.  The lines are cleaner, the level of detail higher.  I was actually thinking of asking Adam a letters page question about what it was like to simultaneously work on his best work and make cards for the new heroes in a slightly older, more primitive style to be consistent with the other heroes.

The XPW are an exception.  Those are deliberately done in a retro style that works brilliantly, if less aethetically pleasingly.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!