The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Proletariat, Visionary and Champion Bot working together.

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester
Proletariat, Visionary and Champion Bot working together.

Question:

Proletariat has a clone next to Champion Bot and Visionary.

Proletariat has a clone far from them but by an enemy target.

He attacks that target.  Does he get the +2 dice from Champion Bot and the dice swap from Visionary?   Part of me says "yes" because all Proletariats are the same Proletariat, but part of me says that is a really mean combo.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Huh. Don't know the answer to this one. My inclination is to agree -- that Champion Bot and Visionary being LoS to one Proletariat would be able to affect anything done by another Proletariat.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Yep - that's how it works, from what I understand. Definitely not intuitive, but that's one of the many ways folks underestimate Proletariat! laugh

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

cmschex
Playtester

Had a fun interaction with one of the players from one of the semifinal teams at PAX who asked why Porletariat was so bad and Dan and Donner proceeded to outline all of his ridiculous comboes.  Seeing the lightbulb go off on his face was pretty awesome

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Champion Bot iwould work like that with Proletariat.

All Proletariats are Proletariat, and if Proletariat gains that boost then all Proletariat gain that boost.

Champion Bot gives Proletariat 2 extra attack dice to all Proletariat's attacks, any Proletariat making an attack will benefit.

This works because the bonus is granted to the character, not to the attack or the target making the attack.

On the other hand:  What if Foresight is on Visionary, and she has line of sight on a Proletariat, and a Proletariat she can't see makes an attack?

Both are still Proletariat, but they are not the same target, because while they are the same character and share the same health pool, they can be hit seperately by the same AoE attack.  Unlike Omnitron, whose hexes are all one target.

If Proletariat hits his To be continued phase with 2 of his proletariats adjacent to Ra's Tornado Proletariat will face two hazard attacks.

So Foresight would require the Proletariat target making the dice roll to be in line of sight, because it specifies target, not character.

I would think Twist the Ether and Wrest the Mind, since they specifies Character not target, would work like Champion Bot.

An even rougher question is the term allies and Proletariat.

Abilities that affect allies should affect allied Targets, otherwise Stealth Bot and Proletariat would be ridiculous and non-sensical.  (since one Porletariat gaining cover would cause all Proletariat to gain cover.

But that means motivational charge and Inspiring Presence + Proletariat is awesome.  Which I think Presence is already confirmed to be sick with Proletariat.

(sick meaning you get the effect for each proletariat target in line of sight, so up to 6 +1 attack tokens from presence, and up to 4 hp regained from charge)

cmschex
Playtester

Bolstering Team Up also sick with Prole for the same reason

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

phantaskippy wrote:

So Foresight would require the Proletariat target making the dice roll to be in line of sight, because it specifies target, not character. 

Oh, yeah, agreed! I honestly thought Foresight referenced character, also.  Thanks, phantaskippy!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Okay, if I was correct above, then Expert Tactician would give Proletariat as many defense +1 tokens as there are proletariats in play, line of sight or not.

That's powerful, but not broken like Stealth Bot, Foresight, Sub-Zero Atmosphere etc. would be if they targeted characters.

Bolstering team-up gives an adjacent ally an action, so if a Proletariat was the targetted ally that specific target would have to use the power, doesn't stop that power from being Overwhelm or a sprint that triggers Phalanx, but you couldn't have a non-adjacent proletariat just use duplicate for the Team-Up Power.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

Bolstering team-up gives an adjacent ally an action, so if a Proletariat was the targetted ally that specific target would have to use the power, doesn't stop that power from being Overwhelm or a sprint that triggers Phalanx, but you couldn't have a non-adjacent proletariat just use duplicate for the Team-Up Power.

Why wouldn't stealth bot work this same way? Doesn't it specifically mention adjacent characters?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

They would work the same.  I redid one of my sentences in the previous post, I think it was misleading.

AvalonXQ

So is it confirmed that multiple Proletariats in line of sight result in multiple Attack+1 tokens or multiple damage healed?

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

No, because they are still one character.

AvalonXQ

All right - it seems that some above are saying "yes" but here Ronway is saying "no."

Of all the Sentinels characters, I think Proletariat could most benefit from an FAQ giving some examples of how he interacts with various abilities - AoE attacks, multi-target "ally" powers, etc.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Was wrong several times on this thread.

Ronway is correct, I found the ruling on that, Proletariat is one ally.

That won't affect Sub-Zero Atmosphere, because that affects the spaces, not the ally.

However, Stealth Bot grants cover to allies adjacent to Stealth Bot, not to the spaces around it.

Proletariat is one ally, so it seems like Stealth Bot adjacent to Proletariat would grant all of Proletariat cover.

The strength of Stealth+Champion+Proletariat is pretty sick.

Also Foresight would only need to have one proletariat in Visionary's line of sight to affect any of his rolls, and Bolstering team-up will allow any proletariat to use the granted power.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Does this change how Visionary works with him?  If he is one ally, does Foresight get to swap dice with him if one of his far-off clones makes a roll?  The ally, after all, is Proletariat, and is in sight.  Just that the part of Proletariat doing the work is not.

So I guess the question is:  When one Proletariat makes a roll, is it Proletariat making the roll or Proletariat's clone making the roll?  If it is Proletariat, then Foresight works on him as long as one clone is in LOS.  If it is the clone, then we get into crazy action shenanigan questions which probably boil down to "it is Proletariat making the roll".

At least, that is my perspective.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

All of Proletariat's rolls are made by Proletariat.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

So... Yes.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Bas

Visionary affects the mind, all Proletariats share one mind and thus foresight thematically works for far-off allies in that Visionary can communicate her foresight to one and all Proletariats.

AvalonXQ

So Dawn only heals P for 1 damage regardless of how many she sees, and Legacy or Bunker will only give P a single Attack+1.

But what about area attacks with mutiple P's in the area? By the same logic shouldn't P only have to roll one set of defense dice? What if P ends his turn with two P's on spaces for the same hazard?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

AvalonXQ wrote:

So Dawn only heals P for 1 damage regardless of how many she sees, and Legacy or Bunker will only give P a single Attack+1.

But what about area attacks with mutiple P's in the area? By the same logic shouldn't P only have to roll one set of defense dice? What if P ends his turn with two P's on spaces for the same hazard?

Yeah he has to roll defense per copy in the AoE

AvalonXQ

That's really confusing. Can somebody explain why?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

AvalonXQ wrote:

That's really confusing. Can somebody explain why?

Because while he is only 1 character, he is also multiple targets. AoE attacks hit all targets in the area, not just characters in the area

Galvinize affects all allys in LoS. All Pro's count as a single ally. Same with Motivational Charge. He is a single ally.

But if there are multiple Pro's in Ambuscade's Explosive Launcher attack, they all roll defense because they are all seperate attackable targets.

I am still on the fence about how Stealth Bot and Twist the Ether interact with multiple Pro's scattered around the board. On one hand I see the argument that all pros count as 1 ally, but then again both of those cards specify where they need to be so it's possible that only those pro targets within the designated range are effected. Though foresight does specifically use the terminology "target" instead of ally, which would strengthen the first scenario.

It's kinda weird.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Anything that designates targets will affect each Proletariat marker, while anything that says Character or Ally will affect all of them.

(At least until we get a ruling that Stops The insane Stealth-Bot combo)

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

Anything that designates targets will affect each Proletariat marker, while anything that says Character or Ally will affect all of them.(At least until we get a ruling that Stops The insane Stealth-Bot combo)

If Pro actually works this way however, we might see the meta-game of tournaments really shake up. Pro and Visionary could see a lot more playtime if some of their combos work long distance with Twist and such.

Stealth Bot + Pro gameplans could force the opponents to go more Melee oriented which would make Operative and Tachyon stronger choices for the meta. 

Honestly, Pro shenanigans would be nothing but good for the tourny meta in my opinion. Would really force out stronger counter picks and ban choices.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

By rule Proletariat is one ally, any effect that designates Ally would have to effect every one of his targets or none of them.

That's the main reason I figured ally would mean target, but according to the rulings we have he is one Ally.

AvalonXQ

phantaskippy wrote:

Anything that designates targets will affect each Proletariat marker, while anything that says Character or Ally will affect all of them.(At least until we get a ruling that Stops The insane Stealth-Bot combo)

This is actually a very clear rule; I wish P's character panel explicitly said this.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

One of the best resources you will find is Spiffworld, the Tactics FAQ was gathered during playtesting and he updates them with official rulings when needed.

He also has one for the card game that is equally useful.