The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Post Oblivaeon Spoilers Here Only!

288 posts / 0 new
Last post
MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

Brilliant Inventor helps dig for Devices, Hasten Victory gets an extra play from top of deck, Technologically Stable is a draw and play, and Consider the Price of Defeat also draws a card.   She may not get as many devices but is likely to be effective still.

Of those, only one does more than replace itself.  Granted, Brilliant Inventor is way better than Arsenal Access, and a card that does replace itself is better than nothing (or one that puts cards from your trash back into your deck), but still, in our very first game, our Heroic Luminary spent multiple rounds double-passing because she had nothing else she could do that was at all productive.  I think maybe I just have bad luck with these sorts of heroes.

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
Unless you’re playing a very short game I’ve regularly triggered at least one Doomsday device.
Even our long game, enough for Benchmark to get a full 18 cards in play, wasn't enough for Luminary to fire one off.

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
Between Shipshape, Concordant HELM, Timeless Treasure, Rudder in the Timestream, Take Time, and possibly Temporal Rigging she has decent card draw.  You aren’t meant to keep everything out but if you have the Plot out it can make the decision easier for stuff you didn’t want to keep.
She has some, but, again, compare to Scholar.  He has a ton of card draw, and he's still clearly intended to keep at most 3 forms in play.  He only has 3 unique forms and 3 copies of each.  Meanwhile La Comodora has substantially less card draw, and 2 copies each of 7 different cards that require the same upkeep (although Timeless Treasure pays for itself, and some of the others can mitigate their own costs).  I don't think she's unplayable, but I think she's substantially harder to manage than Scholar, at least.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I’m not sure what you had in your Luminary game but I’ve never had a game where it was worthwhile to double skip.  He’s proably been one of the more consistent heroes of the group for me.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Again, this was Heroic Luminary.  Her hand consisted of nothing but Dangerous Vision, Technologically Stable, All According to Plan, and a doomsday device (I forget which one).  There was a gene-bound guard out, so putting down the one device so she could use her power for 1 damage was pointless, and while she could have just played Technologically Stable to cycle it, that's not a superior option to just drawing an extra card.

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

I can understand for that case but that’s moreso a struggle various heroes have which is sometimes they can’t immediately deal with DR.  What I might suggest though is playing the Doomsday Device and the next turn play Dangerous Vision to get All According to Plan out.   Later on if you still need the device you can get it back with Technologically Stable.  This filters a card out of your deck that you won’t draw a second copy of as well.  I realize that doesn’t get her base power past DR but it takes a card out of your deck and helps towards powering up Doomsday Devices.  It will allow your damaging Devices to get past the DR and if a Quark Drive Transolocator gets destroyed you get to trigger All According to Plan as well. 

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

How would All According to Plan help there?  She had it in hand already, IIRC, but it does nothing with no devices.  Playing nothing in order to just draw an extra card, given the high probability that such a card would actually be helpful, seems like the best move to me.  And it turned out to be necessary, since it took her four rounds to draw anything useful other than her starting Triple Cross.

Submit your games here!

Katsue
Katsue's picture

MindWanderer wrote:
Powerhound_2000 wrote:
Between Shipshape, Concordant HELM, Timeless Treasure, Rudder in the Timestream, Take Time, and possibly Temporal Rigging she has decent card draw.  You aren’t meant to keep everything out but if you have the Plot out it can make the decision easier for stuff you didn’t want to keep.

She has some, but, again, compare to Scholar.  He has a ton of card draw, and he's still clearly intended to keep at most 3 forms in play.  He only has 3 unique forms and 3 copies of each.  Meanwhile La Comodora has substantially less card draw, and 2 copies each of 7 different cards that require the same upkeep (although Timeless Treasure pays for itself, and some of the others can mitigate their own costs).  I don't think she's unplayable, but I think she's substantially harder to manage than Scholar, at least.

I'm not sure I'd agree that La Comodora has substantially less card draw. Concordant Helm is +2 passive card draw every turn, and Shipshape also provides passive draw. Bear in mind that with Rudder in the Timestream you can rig the bottom of your deck to use Weigh Anchor to just reply your destroyed Equipment anyway.

Powerhound_2000

MindWanderer wrote:

How would All According to Plan help there?  She had it in hand already, IIRC, but it does nothing with no devices.  Playing nothing in order to just draw an extra card, given the high probability that such a card would actually be helpful, seems like the best move to me.  And it turned out to be necessary, since it took her four rounds to draw anything useful other than her starting Triple Cross.

I edited my post to add a bit more.   Anyways, if you had Triple Cross in your opening hand why not play that to get rid of the Guard?

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Did that, but after that it became a choice of either play a card that wasn't helpful and do 1 damage, or draw a card.

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

Seems a worthwhile play to me especially with no DR to deal with.  Luminary when possible should play Devices.  The following turn I’d suggest playing All According To Plan from hand or through Dangerous Vision. 

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

So we got in our first complete game of Oblivaeon. 

Heroes win. 8 heroes had been defeated, 6/8 Scions defeated (didn’t see Voss), 1 environment removed from game. Took us about 4.5 hours with some brief mental and potty breaks. 

Some notes: 

• The Scion that you can redeem felt great and was a big help during the second Oblivaeon phase. 
  • Getting the shield down early is vital.
  • rewards and missions continue to be a highlight during gameplay. We each had a few by the end of the game. Once you have a couple you like I found myself using incap powers far more later in game to power through all that Oblivaeon health. 
  • Akash is such a weird deck to play against Oblivaeon. It took a crazy long time to get her to a useful place. Her promo card is pretty awesome with the Cursor reward though as it gives her seeds the damage buff even when they are not in her play area
  • writhe player struggled to get much of anything cool going. Could be unfamiliar deck or just a bum start hand. Unsure. I haven’t played it myself. 
  • Stunman is quickly becoming a group favorite. So many cool moments for the player using the deck. We played him twice during the game. 
  • Maybe it was just how the game unfolded, but the group only ever moved battle zones once all game to get next to Oblivaeon to get him to phase two (we had the shield that reduced damage to him on the second side). That was fine because we let Borr and Progeny duke it out alone against Ft Adamant. 
  • Any heroes that rely on villain deck manipulation are better off messing with the scion deck we think. It’s more likely to bring out more scions than the Oblivaeon deck. But with at least two plays a round it’s hard to lock it down consistently. 
FearLord

Foote wrote:

So we got in our first complete game of Oblivaeon. Heroes win. 8 heroes had been defeated, 6/8 Scions defeated (didn’t see Voss), 1 environment removed from game. Took us about 4.5 hours with some brief mental and potty breaks.  Some notes: The Scion that you can redeem felt great and was a big help during the second Oblivaeon phase. Getting the shield down early is vital.rewards and missions continue to be a highlight during gameplay. We each had a few by the end of the game. Once you have a couple you like I found myself using incap powers far more later in game to power through all that Oblivaeon health. Akash is such a weird deck to play against Oblivaeon. It took a crazy long time to get her to a useful place. Her promo card is pretty awesome with the Cursor reward though as it gives her seeds the damage buff even when they are not in her play areawrithe player struggled to get much of anything cool going. Could be unfamiliar deck or just a bum start hand. Unsure. I haven’t played it myself. Stunman is quickly becoming a group favorite. So many cool moments for the player using the deck. We played him twice during the game. Maybe it was just how the game unfolded, but the group only ever moved battle zones once all game to get next to Oblivaeon to get him to phase two (we had the shield that reduced damage to him on the second side). That was fine because we let Borr and Progeny duke it out alone against Ft Adamant. Any heroes that rely on villain deck manipulation are better off messing with the scion deck we think. It’s more likely to bring out more scions than the Oblivaeon deck. But with at least two plays a round it’s hard to lock it down consistently. 

Didn't leaving a zone with more Scions than Heroes rack up the Devastation tokens too quickly?

dclietz
Playtester

As a person who played 20+ games of OblivAeon during testing - my group was able to get in games consistently at 2-3 hours after the first ~3 which were much longer. The first game was 6 hours. However, now that we understand how to face OblivAeon, it has become one of our favorite villains to play.

Also, I think there are a lot of key strategies for OblivAeon which have not yet been commented on in this thread and which are fun to discover. Same thing with many of the new heroes, they have odd mechanics that take some getting used to. Don't give up on La Comodora or Harpy or the others too early! Our group really enjoys all the new heroes. 

FearLord

Isn’t there a hard cap on the number of turns? I.e. in all stages, OblivAeon moves the countdown towards 1, which and the countdown teaching zero ends the first two phases. If you did well in the first 2 phases, you can have a slightly longer 3rd phase (each environment you’ve saved up to that point gives you an extra turn), but essentially that’s at max 3 turns longer.

Is it just the fact that a lot is happening that adds to the run time so much?

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

FearLord wrote:
Isn’t there a hard cap on the number of turns? I.e. in all stages, OblivAeon moves the countdown towards 1, which and the countdown teaching zero ends the first two phases. If you did well in the first 2 phases, you can have a slightly longer 3rd phase (each environment you’ve saved up to that point gives you an extra turn), but essentially that’s at max 3 turns longer.
The turns take longer than in a standard Sentinels game (there's more going on), and the total possible number of turns is fairly large.
PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

Played my first game of OblivAeon at GenCon on Sunday in the GtG room!

With 4 players (plus the GM/teacher facilitating the villain/environment turns), we managed a full playthrough in about 2.5 hours.  A win, no less!

Our starting heroes were, in order, Tempest, Fanatic (myself), Akash'Thriya, and Luminary.  Tempest managed to get the Bloodstone early, and Fanatic pulled two Aegises within  her first two turns, which meant that I was able to stay on my feet longer than expected.  Unfortunately, the shuffle of Missions/Rewards didn't really fall to my favor, and I wasn't able to pick up much that was useful for me.  As Ra, I fared a little better, recruiting Omni-Unity and Seraph, which meant my End-of-Turn was particularly damaging.

The first hero down was Akash'Thriya, and the player there was visibly frustrated, complaining "I'm not even doing anything useful..."  ...he then proceeded to pull Lifeline, and proceeded to complain about all the self-damage.  After being eliminated, the player proceeded to say, "I think I've seen all I need to see; I think I'm done," and walked away from the table, leaving our GM/teacher to take over the Hero 3 slot.  I can't tell you much about the Luminary player's game; he was seated at the far end of the table from me and, since we were next to the door, I had trouble hearing him over the crowd noise.

Our final heroes ended up being Tachyon (with 2 hp), myself as Ra, Legacy, and Bunker, the latter of whom *just* joined the game, after La Commodora fell.  MVP of the game was the incapacitated Tempest, who made us immune to the 9999 energy damage hit and, in the following round, immune to two hits of 20 infernal damage as two environments fell in one round.  

We only saw about 5 scions throughout the game:  Voidmind, Dark Soul, Faultless, Sanction, and one other (I think it was Nixious, but can't quite remember.  I got the impression that the GM might have missed a rule or two, as I was expecting more to be showing up, but I certainly wasn't complaining.  

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

FearLord wrote:
Didn’t leaving a zone with more Scions than Heroes rack up the Devastation tokens too quickly?

I had no idea what you were talking about so I re-read the rulebook. 

Holy crap you’re right. 

Holy crap that probably would have changed quite a lot. that could have added multiple more rounds to the game. We were already pushing 5 hours as it was.

What are people doing to speed speed up the battle zone phases? It seems like those take so much time in my limited experience. 

Platlock. Old buddy old pal. Tell me your secrets! 

Also, odd question, but if you are afforded extra power uses during your turn, could you choose an incap power in your play area? Or are those sequestered to the special start of turn rules with objectives?

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

dclietz wrote:

As a person who played 20+ games of OblivAeon during testing - my group was able to get in games consistently at 2-3 hours after the first ~3 which were much longer. The first game was 6 hours. However, now that we understand how to face OblivAeon, it has become one of our favorite villains to play.Also, I think there are a lot of key strategies for OblivAeon which have not yet been commented on in this thread and which are fun to discover. Same thing with many of the new heroes, they have odd mechanics that take some getting used to. Don't give up on La Comodora or Harpy or the others too early! Our group really enjoys all the new heroes.  

This seems crazy to me. Iv been playing SotM since initial release and I just can’t fathom how you get a game of this in under 3 hours. Where is all that damage coming from when you have to split your party for a lot of phase 2. How don’t you see the majority of the Scion deck which brings a ton of extra scions to bear. Am I just playing more rules incorrectly? I need to know!

PlatinumWarlock

Foote wrote:

Platlock. Old buddy old pal. Tell me your secrets!  

Wish I had a better answer for you.  I went into that game fully expecting that we were going to lose.  And, truth be told, there were a number of times where we *should* have, if we didn't have the right damage-immunity or some other mitigating factor.  This goes double when, effectively, we had a player contributing very little to the fight.

As tempting as the new heroes might be, I'd definitely make your first OblivAeon game start with heroes you know well.  Damage isn't quite so important during Phase 1, outside of keeping the number of Aeon Men down.  From what I'm seeing, if you can situate yourself to have about 15 hp, a few of your own cards on the table and one or two major rewards, you'll be in good shape to go through Phase 2 and into Phase 3.  You might not survive all the way through those, especially if you don't have any sort of damage mitigation, but you'll put the group in good position to take down the Big O.

dclietz
Playtester

Foote wrote:
dclietz wrote:
As a person who played 20+ games of OblivAeon during testing - my group was able to get in games consistently at 2-3 hours after the first ~3 which were much longer. The first game was 6 hours. However, now that we understand how to face OblivAeon, it has become one of our favorite villains to play.Also, I think there are a lot of key strategies for OblivAeon which have not yet been commented on in this thread and which are fun to discover. Same thing with many of the new heroes, they have odd mechanics that take some getting used to. Don't give up on La Comodora or Harpy or the others too early! Our group really enjoys all the new heroes.  

This seems crazy to me. Iv been playing SotM since initial release and I just can’t fathom how you get a game of this in under 3 hours. Where is all that damage coming from when you have to split your party for a lot of phase 2. How don’t you see the majority of the Scion deck which brings a ton of extra scions to bear. Am I just playing more rules incorrectly? I need to know!

I'd guess we saw an average of 6 scions per game. I think the main things are 1) try to beat a lot of missions, as they can dramatically increase your damage output and 2) the decision tree when you first play OblivAoen is huge, there are a ton of things you can do but a lot of them aren't what you should be doing... and you learn which things aren't worth much consideration after a few games. 

Other testers were also able to get their games down around 2-3 hours. But, it is also probably true that my group plays pretty quickly. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

Also, odd question, but if you are afforded extra power uses during your turn, could you choose an incap power in your play area? Or are those sequestered to the special start of turn rules with objectives?

Incap abilities aren't powers, so no.

Submit your games here!

Beltaine

Just finished our first game of obliaeon.

He took out 10 heroes and 3 environments, we were down to the last environment with 13 devastation tokens, so at the start of his next turn he would win. luminary, naturalist, la commadora, and lifeline were the last heroes standing. Naturalist did amazing damage. We did have a strange situation where we had all the heroes in one battle zone fighting Borr, and the other had Voss, progeny, faultless and oblivion punching each other. The 999 damage card was in that zone so we just let oblivaeon destroy all the scions. 

Then we we rushed in and unleashed all the damage we could, it was a fantastic finish.

would definitely not play multiple heroes when doing this again, it’s just too much to manage with all the other things.

all in all a solid experience.

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Managed to squeeze in a play this weekend since my friend's copy arrived. Mine is delayed because of signing troubles apparently (grumble mumble)

We won, and won hard. First note, looking back we realised we forgot to factor in the "OblivAeon's damage is increased by H" in the first phase for a couple of plays that probably would have ended up incapping someone, but it was too hard to rewind as we were in the next Scion Phase by then. That was my bad, as we had 4 players and me "playing" OA, Scions, and Environments just to keep track of everything. But anyway.

Grandpa Legacy, F6 Tachyon, PW AA, and Tempest laid a mega smackdown on Big O. Started with the Bringer of Foes and Aeon Master, and only "stacked" the scions in that we put Voss on "top" so we never saw him. Missions were being completed left and right, sometimes on the same turn as they were gained. AA turns were taking 15-20 minutes just with the amount of shenanigans he was throwing around by the end. Heroic Interceptions and hypersonic Assaults made the Scion turns and OblivAeon damage laughable. Damage boosts on Tempest with the many, many, many additional card plays or powers meant he was wiping Battlezones and bringing OblivAeon down real quick. A Take-Down on Phase 3 meant the heroes could stand next to OA and just wail on him without fear of more card draw. Legacy gaining the Shard with 10 tokens and other rewards that dealt damage meant he brought down OblivAeon with a 60+ damage turn. Took about 4 hours.

Also my friend made up these little health spinners for the Scions/Heroes/OA. Really helped keep the tokens from being too short.

~Komori

starkenburg_ale...
starkenburg_alexander's picture

Now some questions I had from that session:
1. Someone like Sanction says "Whenever a hero gains an Objective" - This still only counts for a hero gaining an Objective In the same battlezone, correct?

2. Voidsoul: Assuming they flip (complete an objective I think?), they do various bad things. Then at the end of their End of Turn text, it says to flip them back over. Since it is still "End of Turn", they then proceed to do the front side End of Turn text, correct? That seems like a lot of shenanigans each turn, assuming you're finishing objectives.

3. Is there a reason to not just let Scions chill in their own battlezone beyond gaining the Devastation Tokens? There were several rounds where everyone was in Zone 1 with OA and Zone 2 had 3 Scions, and I would say "Start of Turn add tokens, Scions try to do damage to nothing, play a card, they try to do damage to nothing, end of turn, more damage to nothing. Moving on!"

~Komori

FearLord

starkenburg_alexander wrote:

Now some questions I had from that session:1. Someone like Sanction says "Whenever a hero gains an Objective" - This still only counts for a hero gaining an Objective In the same battlezone, correct?2. Voidsoul: Assuming they flip (complete an objective I think?), they do various bad things. Then at the end of their End of Turn text, it says to flip them back over. Since it is still "End of Turn", they then proceed to do the front side End of Turn text, correct? That seems like a lot of shenanigans each turn, assuming you're finishing objectives.3. Is there a reason to not just let Scions chill in their own battlezone beyond gaining the Devastation Tokens? There were several rounds where everyone was in Zone 1 with OA and Zone 2 had 3 Scions, and I would say "Start of Turn add tokens, Scions try to do damage to nothing, play a card, they try to do damage to nothing, end of turn, more damage to nothing. Moving on!" ~Komori

Adding 3 Devastation Tokens a turn feels fairly major from my perspective (as someone who hasn’t played it) - 4 turns of just that (and it seems a number of other factors add tokens) and you lose an environment...

dclietz
Playtester

starkenburg_alexander wrote:

Is there a reason to not just let Scions chill in their own battlezone beyond gaining the Devastation Tokens? There were several rounds where everyone was in Zone 1 with OA and Zone 2 had 3 Scions, and I would say "Start of Turn add tokens, Scions try to do damage to nothing, play a card, they try to do damage to nothing, end of turn, more damage to nothing. Moving on!"

That is often a good strategy (and speeds up the game). Sometimes the devastation is worse than what the scions would do to you, however. 

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I imagine if you get 3 scions in one zone, you might want to just let them chill there for a while.  They'll tear you apart pretty badly, and they add tokens based on how many there are, not how badly they outnumber you.  It's a huge cost either way, but sometimes there's not a lot you can do.

Submit your games here!

dclietz
Playtester

One of the variant battlezone rulesets I tried out in testing was that getting incapped gave you 2 devastation, defeating a scion removed 2 devastation, and scions gave you 2 devastation for each scion greater than the number of heroes in a BZ (like you said, based on how badly they outnumber you). I liked the incentives that ruleset created - splitting the heroes across BZ was often a good play, there was a greater incentive to avoid getting incapped, and a greater incentive to defeat the scions. 

bjorn.arnesen.us

@PlatinumWarlok, OblivAeon wasn't the Akash/Lifeline player's first ever game of Sentinels, was it? Given your story, it sounds like this person wasn't used to Sentinels of the Multiverse at all.

PlatinumWarlock

bjorn.arnesen.us wrote:

@PlatinumWarlok, OblivAeon wasn't the Akash/Lifeline player's first ever game of Sentinels, was it? Given your story, it sounds like this person wasn't used to Sentinels of the Multiverse at all.

Nope.  He had played at least a few times before, if not quite often.  But yeah, he seemed quite put off at the idea that a hero deck might take some degree of set up time or *gasp* might even self-damage...

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

I'll be honest, my first game was with Setback and the fact that he does worsen things is what pulled me in. Heck yes, I want a superhero game where the heroes have flaws.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

bjorn.arnesen.us

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

Nope.  He had played at least a few times before, if not quite often.  But yeah, he seemed quite put off at the idea that a hero deck might take some degree of set up time or *gasp* might even self-damage...

Sounds like someone who definitely should not have been playing OblivAeon yet. There's a reason I listed my convention game as 3C (code for "Lots of experience, complex rules"). For a team villain games, I'd drop it to 2B ("some rules knowledge, moderate complexity"), and most regular games would be 1A ("No experience necessary, easy rules"). Hopefully that player isn't put off playing Sentinels of the Multiverse because of his experience.

PlatinumWarlock

bjorn.arnesen.us wrote:

Sounds like someone who definitely should not have been playing OblivAeon yet. There's a reason I listed my convention game as 3C (code for "Lots of experience, complex rules"). For a team villain games, I'd drop it to 2B ("some rules knowledge, moderate complexity"), and most regular games would be 1A ("No experience necessary, easy rules"). Hopefully that player isn't put off playing Sentinels of the Multiverse because of his experience.

Yeah, I really don't know.  He'd obviously played before; he had no questions about basic mechanics or how the game works.  He didn't need any instruction on turn order or the like, he understood the basic structure of the game, and he didn't ask many questions.  Despite this, he seemed really put off at the idea that most of Akash'Thriya's cards involve a degree of self-damage.  And, since he wasn't focused accelerating environment plays to get the deck reshuffled, he left underwhelmed with the character overall.

Even still, I look at it like, "if you're not happy with that character, that's fine.  They're about to die anyway.  Pick one that you *know* you like and can play well, so you can contribute."  Nope, went right back to the well with Lifeline.  *shakes head*

bjorn.arnesen.us

I think I want to add a line to either my description or notes to the convention team: Must have played at least 50 games of Sentinels of the Multiverse, at least 5 against Complexity 4 villains, and at least 5 Team Villain games.

Yes, I agree, trying out a hero you haven't used before to take on OblivAeon is a bad idea. Then again, even some earlier heroes can have bad opening hands (e.g., Expatriette with nothing but Ammo cards) or be swingy (either version of Setback).

For the seven villains fighting as heroes (though I have no idea who Benchmark was), it's probably best to use them in "mirror matches" first.

Blackfang108
Playtester

bjorn.arnesen.us wrote:

I think I want to add a line to either my description or notes to the convention team: Must have played at least 50 games of Sentinels of the Multiverse, at least 5 against Complexity 4 villains, and at least 5 Team Villain games.Yes, I agree, trying out a hero you haven't used before to take on OblivAeon is a bad idea. Then again, even some earlier heroes can have bad opening hands (e.g., Expatriette with nothing but Ammo cards) or be swingy (either version of Setback).For the seven villains fighting as heroes (though I have no idea who Benchmark was), it's probably best to use them in "mirror matches" first.

Benchmark wasn't a villain at any point.  Though he's backed by RevoCorp. 

steveothemocker

Katsue wrote:

MindWanderer wrote:
Powerhound_2000 wrote:

I'm not sure I'd agree that La Comodora has substantially less card draw. Concordant Helm is +2 passive card draw every turn, and Shipshape also provides passive draw. Bear in mind that with Rudder in the Timestream you can rig the bottom of your deck to use Weigh Anchor to just reply your destroyed Equipment anyway.

On Shipshape is there some combo I'm missing when it comes to its second half? Drawing a card when you discard was great so I was glad I got it out but what's the point of putting a card in play back on your deck then imediately playing it? The only card I saw in her deck that benefitted from this was Paradoja Figurehead, to get a second one back to your play aread. Is that it? Outside of some other effect like Realm of Discord that giving your stuff health.

Powerhound_2000

I’ll quote Dandolo from another thread about it

Dandolo wrote:

I was the one pushing for the Shipshape effect in playtesting.

The primary benefit I see is it let's you set-up La Comodora using Weigh Anchor and Harnessed Anomaly without worrying that you won't have a way to get your end of turn effects in the order you want.

In practice I tend to use the effect in 3 primary ways:
1. To recall Paradoja Figurehead to my play area so I can get the damage boost and also give it to another.
2. To swap the order of Timeless Treasure and Chronological Sweetspot so that you can use your base power on another hero and give them a draw before your end of turn phase.
3. To move Brig Teleporter after Cannon Portal so you can get a target down to 6 or less HP before you hit it with Brig Teleporter.

steveothemocker

Ah! Thank you. I was looking for a less subtle interaction but that all makes sense. Not sure why I didn't think of that, I grasped Benchmark's Overhaul Loadout immediately for that purpose but not here. Might have been that I only got 2 turns with her before OblivAeon's Guise Jelly card prematurely ended my first play as her. 

morph147

The source of foes shield, do you have to destroy 4 aeon men in one turn or in a round? Seems almost a typo for it to be 4 in a turn

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

They're pretty flimsy.  4 in a turn is quite doable, just not right off the bat.

Submit your games here!

morph147

If on Oblivaeon on his first phase, the countdown reaches 0, will Oblivaeon destroy the shield or will it stay?

when it hits the countdown goes to 0, do we remove the devastation tokens?

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I seem to recall that's explained on Oblivaeon's character pages - from what I remember (can't be arsed to dig it out of the box right now), whenever the Countdown hits zero, that blows up an environment and flips him to his next page (unless he's already at Phase Three, of course, in which case only bad things happen :P). Not sure about the shield but it'll say on the shield card if it doesn't say on Oblivaeon's page.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

General SotM rule: if it doesn't say you don't do something, you don't do it. Tokens are only reset when you hit 12. The shield only goes away when you compete the task described on it.

Submit your games here!

Tootzo

Foote wrote:

FearLord wrote:
Didn’t leaving a zone with more Scions than Heroes rack up the Devastation tokens too quickly?

I had no idea what you were talking about so I re-read the rulebook. Holy crap you’re right. Holy crap that probably would have changed quite a lot. that could have added multiple more rounds to the game. 

You lost me there. How would adding more destruction tokens have made you play “multiple more rounds”? More devastation tokens equals more frequent environment destruction, which means less available rounds, especially in phase 3, not counting the 20 infernal damage AoE when Oblivaeon destroys the environment. 

Tootzo

morph147 wrote:

The source of foes shield, do you have to destroy 4 aeon men in one turn or in a round? Seems almost a typo for it to be 4 in a turn

It’s “turn”. Either a single hero or a Scion or the environment has to kill 4 of them in his/her/its own turn. 

Mind you that Oblivaeon plays Aeon Men in the other battle zone while destroying the ones where he is, so he may end up flipping his shield. 

Tootzo

I don’t know if this is intentional in this variant rule or if you just misread the standard rule, but usually you add 1 token for each Scion in the zone if you’re outnumbered, not 1 for each Scion outnumbering heroes (i.e. you add 3 tokens if you have 3 Scions and 2 heroes in a zone)

Tootzo

PlatinumWarlock wrote:

bjorn.arnesen.us wrote:

Yeah, I really don't know.  He'd obviously played before; he had no questions about basic mechanics or how the game works.  He didn't need any instruction on turn order or the like, he understood the basic structure of the game, and he didn't ask many questions.  Despite this, he seemed really put off at the idea that most of Akash'Thriya's cards involve a degree of self-damage.  And, since he wasn't focused accelerating environment plays to get the deck reshuffled, he left underwhelmed with the character overall.Even still, I look at it like, "if you're not happy with that character, that's fine.  They're about to die anyway.  Pick one that you *know* you like and can play well, so you can contribute."  Nope, went right back to the well with Lifeline.  *shakes head*

Trying out new heroes, picking one with an “odd” new mechanic, when apparently you don’t even like the idea of self-inflicted damage is always something to carefully consider and face it with an open mind; which that payer clearly did not. 

Doing so in the first Oblivaeon game of your life requires even more open-mindedness.

I’ve triggered Aegis of Resurrection countless times with Fanatic’s self inflicted damage, so I’m definitely not scared about it. Apparently that person has played a few Sentinels games but only using a couple of heroes, maybe the most straightforward ones.

Definitely not in the right mood to try new things.

Hankroyd

Set up a game :

Akash'Thryia / Lifeline / Luminary VS Omnitron in the Nexus of the Void.

Omnitron and Luminary have interesting interactions ... Since to win against Omni NO device must be in play.

I guess Omni learn some hacking skills.

dclietz
Playtester

Tootzo wrote:
Foote wrote:
 FearLord wrote:

I had no idea what you were talking about so I re-read the rulebook. Holy crap you’re right. Holy crap that probably would have changed quite a lot. that could have added multiple more rounds to the game. 

You lost me there. How would adding more destruction tokens have made you play “multiple more rounds”? More devastation tokens equals more frequent environment destruction, which means less available rounds, especially in phase 3, not counting the 20 infernal damage AoE when Oblivaeon destroys the environment. 

I think he meant that playing without that rule could have added multiple more rounds. 

bjorn.arnesen.us

@Tootzo, I think I may want to add a line. "This is not the time to play a hero you haven't used before. Use who you know." While I understand your opinion, I think OblivAeon games are the wrong time to learn a hero you haven't used.

Agent Bon

I have some questions about the OblivAeon fight:

1. If Voss is not in the same zone as OblivAeon, can Voss's end of turn attack still hit OblivAeon?
  2. If Voss is not in the same zone as OblivAeon, can Voss's flip side effect activate when OblivAeon would otherwise be defeated?
  3. If a player has a reward character and it runs out of HP, where does it go?
  4. If a player has a reward equipment, and an equipment destroying effect destroys it, where does it go?
  5. Can you add an old reward card to your empty hand during the time when your last character has been incapacitated and you intend to add a new character at the end of your turn?

Pages