The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Omnitron play Villain cards after 0 HP?

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Omnitron play Villain cards after 0 HP?

Does Omnitron continue to play Villain cards after being reduced to 0 HP?

I think the answer is yes, because Omnitron's description says "Remove ... all villain cards other than devices from play", but does not say to trash all cards in the draw pile, so I would expect that during the Villain turns 'Draw and play' phase, new cards would come out.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Dimmok

Good question. When I think of this theme wise I'd say that the deck gets removed as well as the deck represents omnitron. just my 2cents

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

As far as I can tell, either the deck remains in play, and thus cards keep getting played. or Omnitron is in need of an errata.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

awp832
Playtester

I thought not.  I'm not entirely sure though.  If he does keep playing villan cards,  how and what does he play?  I mean,  he's no longer available for flipping, so does he play 2 a turn?  1 a turn?  1 + 1 from the trash?  Presuemeably killing Omnitron removes the added difficulties of his advanced mode?  I've wondered about this myself, but it hasnt really made huge amounts of difference.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

If the deck were to not be removed, then it would continue playing one card during the play phase.  Any card that says "Omnitron does this" would not be valid as there is no Omnitron (even though it's stated in the lore that Omnitron exists in all the devices he makes, this is not stated anywhere in the rules or the cards, so there is no Omnitron to do something).  The play a card at the end of turn, as well the draw a card from the trash at end of turn, are part of the Omnitron game text.  When Omnitron is removed, the gametext no longer exists, and thus no longer continue to play.  As well, the advance mode stuff goes away as it is no longer in play.  Given how complicated the results are, either "remove all villian cards except devices from play" has a slightly different meaning (not very good, as this will cause confusion), or an errata is needed, saying that all villain cards except device cards in play are removed from game (much clearer).  Unless, of course, all this extra complexity is desired.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Dimmok

Until we get an official ruling I'll play that once he is destroyed everything but the devices in play get removed including the deck. My theory is that if the heroes destroy omnitron but leave his devices behind thinking that they pose no threat would allow the devices to put him back together.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

If we're thinking of it from a story perspective (contrary to the other thread debating Wrest the Mind), Omnitron is the one actively creating the drones and components. After Omnitron itself is dead, it wouldn't be able to make more.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Alrighty, folks.  Here's the answer.

When Omnitron is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, the Villain Character Cards are gone, but the Villain Deck is still in play.  The rules say that on the Villain Turn, regardless of which Villain you're fighting or anything like that, you play the top card of the Villain Deck.  Now, Omnitron can play a second card each turn, or pull a Drone or Component from its Trash into play, depending on what side of the Villain Character Cards is up.  However, if there IS no Villain Character Card, those effects do not happen.  But there is nothing to stop the top card of the Villain Deck from being played each Villain Turn.

So, in short, when Omnitron itself leaves play, the Villain Deck continues to produce a card each turn, until there are no Devices in play.  Omnitron's programming is in all of its robotic creations. 

Does that help?

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

That helps to keep it complicated, yes, heheheheh.  Not having an Omnitron deck, I can't really take a look at what cards are contained, but I'd say it's safe to assume that any card that has a line mentioning Omnitron at this point would basically have that line ignored, such as "restore X HP to Omnitron" or "Omnitron deals target X damage."

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

TheJayMann wrote:
That helps to keep it complicated, yes, heheheheh.  Not having an Omnitron deck, I can't really take a look at what cards are contained, but I'd say it's safe to assume that any card that has a line mentioning Omnitron at this point would basically have that line ignored, such as "restore X HP to Omnitron" or "Omnitron deals target X damage."

You don't have an Omnitron deck?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

Yeah, my brother got it, along with Voss.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Christopher wrote:
Alrighty, folks.  Here's the answer.

When Omnitron is reduced to 0 or fewer HP, the Villain Character Cards are gone, but the Villain Deck is still in play.  The rules say that on the Villain Turn, regardless of which Villain you're fighting or anything like that, you play the top card of the Villain Deck.  Now, Omnitron can play a second card each turn, or pull a Drone or Component from its Trash into play, depending on what side of the Villain Character Cards is up.  However, if there IS no Villain Character Card, those effects do not happen.  But there is nothing to stop the top card of the Villain Deck from being played each Villain Turn.

So, in short, when Omnitron itself leaves play, the Villain Deck continues to produce a card each turn, until there are no Devices in play.  Omnitron's programming is in all of its robotic creations. 

Does that help?

Add to Official Rulings?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

That's one of the rule clarifications I've got in that PDF collection of rules clarification I posted about a while back.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Spiff wrote:
That's one of the rule clarifications I've got in that PDF collection of rules clarification I posted about a while back.

Yes! And your collection is awesome.

There was a complaint on the BGG forum that I thought was quite valid, however, which is that finding the collection of rulings is difficult, as it requires trolling through the forums. Now, if your collection is dubbed official and linked to from somewhere like the Greaterthangames site or the official rulings topic, that might solve the problem, but it would mean committing to keeping that pdf up to date, I think.