The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Ok I have a bunch of questions.......

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Dimmok
Ok I have a bunch of questions.......

So I just finished getting my butt handed to me by Dawn in a single player using four heroes game. So far I like the thematic feel of the game the way Dawns citizens are teams in them selves is pretty cool (and annoying lol)
I can't wait to see how this plays with my group. That being said here are my questions

1. The environment deck and cards are barely covered in the book; is it possible to have two of the same type of environment cards out at the same time, like plummeting monorail? I mean it is a MONOrail.... And while we are on the rail can it's damage be assigned to environments?

2. With cards like channel the eclipse is playing the card reliant upon the damage being dealt to her? Also are the end of villain phase effect of cards played by C.t.E used?

3. Is it just me or are the heroes gimped? It just seems like the one rule makes it really hard for them to put up a good fight.

I'm sure there are other questions I had but my head is still reeling from the one two punch from citizen hammer and blinding blast. Looking forward to seeing more of this and a FAQ would rule!

awp832
Playtester

1.  A monorail is a train that moves along a single electrical track,  one-rail.  It has nothing to do with it being the only one of it's kind in the city.    I take it you've never been to Chicago.  =p    All jokes aside, yes there can be more than one environment card of the same type in play at once.  Unless it says otherwise,  environment targets are legit targets for other environment cards  (although there are several that do specify, so read the card carefully).

2.  No.  So if she's immune to damage, Channel the Eclipse doesn't hurt her, and she still plays the extra card.  Secondly, yes,  those cards are used.  Essentially, the "end of the villan turn" isn't over until all cards that act at the end of the villan turn have acted,  even if they were just put into play by another end of turn effect.

3.  You'll get the hang of it.  Dawn is one of the harder villans, maybe staring with Omnitron or Baron Blade would be better until you know the ropes.  The heroes are quite powerful,  we're winning a fair amount of the time against all villans, on advanced mode, with only 3 characters.  It just takes some practice,  you have to get to know each heroes individual playstyle, as they all play a little differently.  I'm also not entirely sure which rule you are referring to that makes things so hard for the heroes.  In regards to a FAQ, check out other rules threads,  and there is also a thread for official errata.

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

Dimmok

Thanks for the answers. The main thing about the heroes is the 1 card, one power ,one draw seems to make things difficult. But yeah I can see this being fun with my group. I definitely like how the theme of each hero shines through they all seem different.

Tamar

Awesome answers, awp.

Dimmok, not to be super language police-y, but using "gimped" the way you did is ableist, and the kind of language we try to avoid around here. Good alternatives of the top of my head: hobbled, under powered, weak.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

Dimmok

Well it was meant obviously meant as in nerfed, undercpowered, weak; so yeah I do feel that was a little police-y which might be better reserved for other infractions.

WriterRyan
WriterRyan's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Okay...

1. Leave language policing to the mods please.

2. While I knew what you meant, Dimmok, please go ahead and use "nerfed" in the future so as to be more sensitive.

See the way my body's glowing? Yeah, a lot of people can't do that.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Glad you had fun!  Citizen Dawn is my very favourite of villains :D

To answer specific questions:

[ type=decimal]

• Any number of environment cards, regardless of name, can be in play at the same time if the heroes do not resolve them.
  • In the case of Plummeting Monorail (which reads "At the start of the Environment turn, this card deals the 2 targets with the highest HP 5 melee damage each." for those of you playing the home game), the damage can absolutely be applied to Environment targets.  The only thing that would prevent this is if it specified "non-environment targets"
  • In the case of Channel the Eclipse, the dealing of the damage and the playing of the extra cards are entirely separate effects and, as such, are not reliant upon one another.  Consequently, on her "flipped" side, Dawn does not take the damage (as she is immune to damage), but still plays an extra card.
  • Yes.  Typically speaking, with any card that plays additional cards (like Channel the Eclipse), the cards played also act at the end of the environment turn after they are played.  The reason for this is because cards that activate during the same "phase" activate in the order in which they came into play.  Consequently, Channel the Eclipse activates, puts additional cards into play, and then they activate because they came into play after Channel the Eclipse.
  • The heroes have the "only one play/power/draw per phase" rule in order to balance them.  Once you get more practiced at heroes, you will find that they are more than up to the challenge of the Villains, even on Advanced mode :D
  • [/]

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Dimmok

Thank you all for the reply!

I got a chance to play with a friend ( I used Legacy and Ra and my buddy used Fanatic and Tempest) and as suggested we went against BB and whooped him pretty quick. Feeling brave I convinced my friend to help get revenge on CD........ Well let's just say we were not successful!

It was a good time none the less and he really injoyed playing!

Have guys considered bring this to iOS?

Christopher
    Christopher's picture
    AdminGame Designer

And to clarify point #2 just a little further...

In case it comes up, YES, Plummeting Monorail can damage itself if it counts as one of the targets with the correct amount of HP.  This makes sense, as a monorail which is plummeting would be very likely to take damage.  In general, the cards attempt to echo the real life effects of the action that is taking place on the cards.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
     - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Adam
    Adam's picture
    Admin

It just became very burdensome to have 50 "Innocent Victim" cards come into play and be destroyed when the monorail crashes.

Paul
    Paul's picture
    Admin

Dimmork wrote:
    Have guys considered bring this to iOS?

Bringing out new, fun versions of the game (such as an electronic version) is certainly something we might pursue in the future.  And, if you are on this forum (or follow us on twitter, or subscribe to our newsletter), you'll be among the first to know!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

TheJayMann
    TheJayMann's picture
    Playtester

That's interesting (though iOS doesn't interest me at all).

What might interest some people is that I actually have created abot half an implementation of a "card game engine" designed to play Sentinels of the Multiverse.  Maybe soon I can actually run it.  No promises though.

<-- Third person to Thorathian (Paul beat me by 37 seconds.....)

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Dimmok

Well keep me posted jay I'd love to check it out. And I can't wait for an iOS version. Can I has now? Pwease!

Tamar

WriterRyan wrote:
    Okay...

1. Leave language policing to the mods please.

2. While I knew what you meant, Dimmok, please go ahead and use "nerfed" in the future so as to be more sensitive.

Responded in PM, WriterRyan.  I don't know if you have notices set up when you get a PM, but I haven't gotten any notice when I got one.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
    I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
    A message to lead myself here.

TheJayMann
    TheJayMann's picture
    Playtester

I noticed a setting in the message setting that is unchecked by default that will open a popup when you recieve a message.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!