The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Oathbringer!

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
Oathbringer!

Received, but not read yet! So far this thread is spoiler-free for Oathbringer, but Way of Kings and Words of Radiance are fair game.

Some initial disconnected thoughts:

This book is surprisingly...small? Like, compared to Words, it's easy to heft.

As with the other Stormlight Archive books, totally worth it to get the hardcover. The arts are great - I cannot imagine looking at them on my Kindle. I read Way of Kings that way, but since getting the Words of Radiance hardcover, I'm never looking back.

I've never seen a dust jacket printed on the inside like this! These must be the symbols of the Radiant orders, flaking the map. I expect they are glyphpairs, presumably each sharing a glyph with their neighboring orders, though it's hard to tell what the shared glyphs are.

The frontspiece and....backspiece? arts look like members of the various orders. The glyphs on front-left, rear-left, and rear-right occur in the set of ten flanking the map. Theory: the woman on the rear-right with the keys and divider is whatever order Jasnah belongs to. We noticed that she's wearing a glove, as Jasnah (presumably) is on the front cover of the book. I think the man in the rear-left is a Windrunner, because of all the windspren around him and the way everything he wears is fluttering. The woman on the front-right is maybe a Lightweaver? Kind of funny that she doesn't have a glyph. Also interesting how, although her dress has a safe-sleeve, you can see her hand - though I guess that wouldn't be the only scandalous aspect to the dress among the Alethi! Finally, I guess that the man in the front-left is whatever order Renarin belongs to. (Truthseer?) None of their glyphs are adjacent on the map, which is consistent with what we know of those suggested orders.

I'm sure I'll have more thoughts once I start reading! Exciting!

padcurtin
padcurtin's picture

I have had this in my kindle since Tuesday, thanks for describing the physical book

.Since I rushed the first two I'm reading this one slowly . Maybe this weekend I  Will make some inroads into it. Watch this space for a review

Sapienta potentia est

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

I'm planning on picking it up some time this weekend, although I have no idea when I'll find the time to read it.

Into the Drowning Deep (which also came out this week) took priority because I want to get Oathbringer hardcover, and don't mind my mermaids being in ebook form.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Chaosmancer
Chaosmancer's picture

I'm probably not getting this til closer to christmas/new years. Such is being poor and saving money for a Kickstarter.

Still, as long as things remain spoiler free I'd love to talk about things. I didn't think the lady on the cover would be Jansa, but I saw the cover for Oathbringer long before I actually started reading the other two (I know, I know) so it wasn't a connection I could make.

Also, do we know how the Novella featuring... ugh brain... Kelsier(?) from Mistborn connects to Stormlight? I've been meaning to reread it, since I read it long long before I got started on Stormlight but I remember it featured a lady and her retainer and I can't remember if those characters were directly characters we know from Stormlight or if they were only implied to be that way.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

In Sanderson's preface, he straight up says that is Jasnah on the cover.

Holy crap, this prologue, though!

Blackfang108
Playtester

Literally just got it a couple of hours ago.

Once I finish the book I'm currently working on (Serpent Mage from Weis & Hickman.  the rest of the Death's Gate Cycle can wait), I will durn through this.

I should be ready for Sam Sykes's new book when that comes out.

morph147

I plan to get it, just need to find the time and energy to read a 1200 page book.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Trajector
Trajector's picture

This one is going fast for me. I just started part 2 (of 4). Admittedly I'm not going at super speed, but that's an issue of the time I have available!

Blackfang108
Playtester

Currently on page 700+.

Storms, I missed these characters.

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Finished!  Sure, I stayed up until 2:30 last night, but it was worth it.  So much awesome.

Talenel is a badass.  (I mean, they're all badasses, but 4,000 years of torture, all on his own.  Wow)

Truest line in the book:   "Sequels always have to be bigger"

Blackfang108
Playtester

Arcanist Lupus wrote:

Finished!  Sure, I stayed up until 2:30 last night, but it was worth it.  So much awesome. Talenel is a badass.  (I mean, they're all badasses, but 4,000 years of torture, all on his own.  Wow) Truest line in the book:   "Sequels always have to be bigger"

I'm almost there.  Just started Part 5 on my way in.  (had an unexpected several hour shopping trip with my fiancee yesterday, otherwise I'd be done.)

Edit: and I basically play Talenel in my current D&D campaign.  Taunting orcus even as I'm dropped to zero.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

I'm getting close...

Is it just me, or is being completely psychologically broken a prerequisite for being a Knight Radiant?

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture

Trajector wrote:

I'm getting close...

Is it just me, or is being completely psychologically broken a prerequisite for being a Knight Radiant?

It's not just you.  From the back cover of Words of Radiance:

Quote:
It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit.  Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves.  They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

I'm getting close...

Yes.  This is partially explained near the end (like, a one or two line explanation).

(ending spoilers) I finished up last night, and I was DYING laughing at Lopen's Ascension and his reaction to the timing.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Just finished. And yeah, Blackfang, I amend my previous statement: this is a story about broken people healing. And it is  very good one.

I think, more than the other final climactic battles in the previous two books, I was scream-reading at this one. So many awesome twists! so much badassery! I actually have to say, I think that Adolin was the most badass of them all, because even though he has no Radiant powers, he went off and did all the things that the Radiants were doing without any hesitation or external direction. And he stood his ground.

I'm also amazed at where Shallan, Dalinar, and Szeth ended up in their progression by the end of the book. I think the good guys (major themes about "who are the good guys, and how do you tell?" notwithstanding!) are well positioned for the next book.

And I have to say...Venli and Wit swearing the First Ideal seem like some of the most world-shattering things that could have happened in this series....

Blackfang108
Playtester

Yes, it is.

Agreed re Adolin, Shallan, Dalinar and the Spoiler Character.

And I totally agree re the last bit. 

morph147

My mother let it slept she got this for me for christmas so I have to wait till then.

However for those of you that like the stormlight archieve I would suggest checking out the GraphicAudio version of the first two books. Its essientially a book on tape but with actors taking care of the speaking roles. I been listening to them in long car rides and been enjoying them so far.

My wife thinks Sentinels is ruining our marriage. I think she doesnt know what shes talking about because she wont sit down to play it

Blackfang108
Playtester

I would, but I have SO MANY podcasts I'm catching up on.

Terrible Warriors, Talking Biotech, Welcome to Night Vale...

Trajector
Trajector's picture

morph147 wrote:

However for those of you that like the stormlight archieve

Also, now that I'm back to a Big Wait, i will also contribute that if you like the Stormlight Archive, definitely check out The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.
Blackfang108
Playtester

Trajector wrote:

morph147 wrote:
However for those of you that like the stormlight archieve

Also, now that I'm back to a Big Wait, i will also contribute that if you like the Stormlight Archive, definitely check out The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.

I'm working on The Core, from Peter V Brett, and i cannot recommend Sam Sykes highly enough, and his sixth book (third of the current trilogy) comes out this month!