The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Northern IL/Southern WI Tourney

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Readinguselessm...
Northern IL/Southern WI Tourney

Anyone interested in a Sentinels tournament in the Northern IL/Southern WI area?  I have a comic book shop just outside of Rockford, IL (about 90 northwest of Chicago and an hour south of Madison, WI) interested in hosting, but they'd like an estimate on numbers.  Are you game?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What sort of tournament?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Readinguselessm...

As to the type of tournament, I'm very open to ideas.  I haven't gotten that far on the details, yet.  A comic book shop/gaming center in my hometown is offering the space (they have a room with several tables), but I'm trying to gauge demand.  If you know anyone interested, have them post here.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I ask because I thought a fair bit about how one might do a Sentinels of the Multiverse tournament and in the end nothing was appealing.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Readinguselessm...

Here's what I was thinking.

1. Each team would have its own set of decks.

2. Each team would then draft (x) heroes.  To add a strategic wrinkle during drafting, I thought it would be fun to allow each team a veto to one of the other team's drafted heroes, so ultimately everyone would end up with (x-1) heroes to start.

3. For fairness, the tourney coordinator would pre-build identical villain and environmental decks so that cards come up in the same in the same order for all teams, but because each team has their own set of decks, they would play their own versions of the battle.

4. Winning team advances unless both teams win.  If both teams win, the team with the most collective HP at the end of the game wins that round.  If both teams lose, the team with whose villain has the lowest HP at the time of loss wins.

Your thoughts?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Readinguselessmessages wrote:

Your thoughts?

Most collective HP of heroes and lowest HP at the time of loss changes the nature of the game. I suggest instead doing a round-robin tournament and awarding the grand prize to whichever team wins the most. If there's a time, so be it.

Re: arranging the villain decks the same for each game. How often do villain decks get shuffled in the course of play? Haven't thought about it deeply, but I think it's often enough that the attempt to give each team some sort of equal villain experience is doomed to failure. I think it's ok to simply let each deck be random.

I think the most interesting way to make this competitive is to know all of the villains that will be faced up front and then let each team choose which heroes will face which villain, but don't allow them to repeat any of the heroes.

Readinguselessm...

Yeah, that could work, too.  Matching decks would be interesting, but luck is involved with any game.  If a team gets a bad draw, then so be it.  Knowing in advance would certainly help a team, and not allowing repeated play for heroes brings a lot of pre-game strategy to the event.  I just wish I could find enough interested people in my area.  In the model, you wouldn't necessarily have to have teams play head to head.  Losers always leave until the last man is standing.  I like it!