The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Newly created Proletariat attacked by area attack?

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Newly created Proletariat attacked by area attack?

If an area attack against a Proletariat causes another Proletariat to be played within the area attack's radius and in line of sight to the origin, does the new Proletariat get attacked, too?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

No.  The attack has already triggered on all valid targets. It cannot add targets after the fact.  Proletariats spawning in a hazard space would trigger that hazard, however.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Donner wrote:

No.  The attack has already triggered on all valid targets. It cannot add targets after the fact.  Proletariats spawning in a hazard space would trigger that hazard, however.

Hmm ... I didn't think that targets that are placed in a hazard (companions played, characters coming back from incapacitation, Proletariats created) triggered the hazard.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

I believe the new proletariat would be attacked, as the attacker chooses valid targets in order, and since the Proletariat is valid and added b before the attack would end it should get hit.

Newly spawned targets enter the space they are spawned in, they would trigger the hazard.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Getting back from incapacitation doesn't trigger hazard spaces.  Being placed in a hex does.  As Phantaskippy said!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Donner wrote:

Getting back from incapacitation doesn't trigger hazard spaces.  Being placed in a hex does.  As Phantaskippy said!

So newly placed Companions (Dawn's citizens, Unity's bots) would be attacked by hazards upon being placed?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Yes.

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I look at it as the trigger for the hazard space is entering the hex, if that's by arriving on the board or by movement.

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

1) Being placed on the board in a hazard space counts as entering a hazard space. This is relevant for companions as well as Ambuscade returning from being cloaked.

2) If new Proletariats appear in a hex affected by an area attack as a result of that area attack, they are also subject to that area attack.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Isn't there a thing in Tactics which is different than in SotM that things which happen after an event are not subject to that event?  So, in SotM, if something comes out with an end-of-turn effect, it goes on the stack to be handled during the current end-of-turn.  But Tactics ins't like that, so why would the new Proletariat be subject to the attack?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Because it forms mid attack, it doesn't get added to a stack, it enters mid explosion, so it deals with the explosion.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Paul wrote:

1) Being placed on the board in a hazard space counts as entering a hazard space. This is relevant for companions as well as Ambuscade returning from being cloaked.2) If new Proletariats appear in a hex affected by an area attack as a result of that area attack, they are also subject to that area attack.

Hmm.  This can be VERY advantageous for Proletariat.  Get nuked, with Shared Burden.  Clone as far as you want inside the blast then clone once outside to stop the chain.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Donner wrote:
Paul wrote:
1) Being placed on the board in a hazard space counts as entering a hazard space. This is relevant for companions as well as Ambuscade returning from being cloaked.2) If new Proletariats appear in a hex affected by an area attack as a result of that area attack, they are also subject to that area attack.

Hmm.  This can be VERY advantageous for Proletariat.  Get nuked, with Shared Burden.  Clone as far as you want inside the blast then clone once outside to stop the chain.

It can. But you need to be carefull to not over-etend or you will get hit with another AoE before your next turn and you will auto-incapped

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

usually you are going to be better off duplicate -> overwhelm duplicate with sacrifice out to start, that's usually the best way to get your clones on the map.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

usually you are going to be better off duplicate -> overwhelm duplicate with sacrifice out to start, that's usually the best way to get your clones on the map.

And then spend your next 2 turns getting into a position to attack something  =P

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

You have 3 actions, you use your first to move.  I have yet to have a good prole match without Beacon, so maybe it isn't the best, but sharing the burden goes wrong too much for my tastes.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

phantaskippy wrote:

You have 3 actions, you use your first to move.  I have yet to have a good prole match without Beacon, so maybe it isn't the best, but sharing the burden goes wrong too much for my tastes.

1. Move

2. Overwhelm -> Move

3. Hammer

If I were picking Pro in a tournament, you can bet Beacon would be my first pick. AbZero second maybe (structures can force your opponent to come to you to get LoS). I like that team a lot.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My favorite has been Unity, Beacon, Prole.

Gave no clue what they were in for and then dropped champion bot on 2 enemies and incapped both with 2 overwhelm hammers at +2 dice.  I just love champion bot, he's insane.