The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

New Horizons

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
New Horizons

A man-made object is about to reach Pluto. Anyone else excited about this?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Nielzabub
Nielzabub's picture
Playtester

Didn't hear about that. That is pretty cool, though.

Good ideas are usually just bad ideas a stubborn person eventually fixed.

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

I'm excited like fish swim. :)

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

C'mon guys. Everyone knows the space program is just an elaborate ruse to get other nations to bankrupt themselves. ;)

"To such simple minds, my advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic!"

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I am unbelievably excited about this. I'm also excited about Dawn completing its higher resolution mapping of Ceres later this year.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Heck yes. Incidentally, New Horizons is something like the fifth fastest human-made object ever. And they did it without a solar swingby!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Ah! A glitch!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

It got better.

Can't wait for it to arrive at Pluto and find that it is a planet after all, and that elitist inner planets are mean spirited losers.

The Kuiper belt is far more exciting to me, I will be patient.

The Atmospheric exchange is really cool, can't wait to get all nebby in Pluto's business.

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Oh my gosh you guys, Pluto! It's a place now!

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

That's no moon.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

NASA received the signal!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

Like Christopher said earlier:

THAT'S NO MOON!

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Niiiiice, Craig!

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Ceci n'est pas une lune?

Incidentally, I thought that I'd already seen that image... then I took a closer look and realized that I was looking at a different Pluto-as-Deathstar image.  I guess great minds think alike.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Woah! Not seeing any craters on Pluto was a big deal.

Planetary scientists generally assume that bolides hit a surface at a steady rate. So a surface with more craters is older than a surface with fewer craters. The Earth, for example, has a young surface - erosion, volcanoes, deposition, and other processes erase the craters that are there. The Moon, in contrast, has a ton of visible craters. So it must have an old surface, meaning that there aren't as many - or as active - things happening to clean off craters.

Pluto and Charon apparently have VERY young surfaces. This is confusing, because it's totally unclear where the energy to drive a crater-cleaning process could come from.

On a moon of Jupiter or Saturn, there's plenty of that energy in the form of tides. In a simple sense, the huge planet raises a big tidal bulge in the bedrock of the moon, and the motion of that bulge with respect to the rest of the moon generates heat from friction. That's how come so many of these moons have underground oceans, and how come Io has volcanoes.

But Pluto and Charon are tidally locked. They rotate synchronously. There's no energy exchange there. Scientists thought that, on a body as small as Pluto or Charon, tidal friction would be the only viable energy source.

So there's some energy source driving active processes on those two, tiny, distant worlds. They are cold, but far from dead!

The universe gets more awesome every time we take a close look at it.

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Trajector wrote:

Woah! Not seeing any craters on Pluto was a big deal.

Planetary scientists generally assume that bolides hit a surface at a steady rate. So a surface with more craters is older than a surface with fewer craters. The Earth, for example, has a young surface - erosion, volcanoes, deposition, and other processes erase the craters that are there. The Moon, in contrast, has a ton of visible craters. So it must have an old surface, meaning that there aren't as many - or as active - things happening to clean off craters.

Pluto and Charon apparently have VERY young surfaces. This is confusing, because it's totally unclear where the energy to drive a crater-cleaning process could come from.

On a moon of Jupiter or Saturn, there's plenty of that energy in the form of tides. In a simple sense, the huge planet raises a big tidal bulge in the bedrock of the moon, and the motion of that bulge with respect to the rest of the moon generates heat from friction. That's how come so many of these moons have underground oceans, and how come Io has volcanoes.

But Pluto and Charon are tidally locked. They rotate synchronously. There's no energy exchange there. Scientists thought that, on a body as small as Pluto or Charon, tidal friction would be the only viable energy source.

So there's some energy source driving active processes on those two, tiny, distant worlds. They are cold, but far from dead!

The universe gets more awesome every time we take a close look at it.

In the lore of the Mass Effect games, Charon is actually an ancient alien faster-than-light relay covered in cosmic debris. I suspect the truth is slightly different, but that's a very interesting discovery. Also, I really like the phrase "tidally locked." I say it as often as I get the chance. 

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Speaking of cool words, the closest point of a trajectory to Pluto is "perihadeon."

dpt
dpt's picture
Playtester

A little tidbit from the NY Times article:

But with the slow communication rate from a 12-watt transmitter three billion miles away, it will take 16 months before scientists can examine all of that information.

How far away can you see a light bulb?

(For the record, I think there are actually two transmitters, each 12 watts. Still...)

metlarcturus
metlarcturus's picture

Trajector wrote:

Speaking of cool words, the closest point of a trajectory to Pluto is "perihadeon."

...referencing Hades, the god of the dead and the Greek name for Pluto! That is super nifty. Do all the planets have words like that?

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Yes! Earth is perigee/apogee ("gee" like "geo") for closest and farthest points. The Moon is -lune, the sun is -helion, Mars is -areon, Jupiter is -jove, Saturn is -krone. Those are the ones I remember offhand. And I know there's a super cool one for black holes, but I forgot it...

The general terms are periapsis and apoapsis. There's a bunch more terms collected in the Wikipedia article for "apsis."

Trajector
Trajector's picture
Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Why did I have to learn the most important New Horizons' news from somewhere other than this thread?

Link

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Link doesn't seem to work.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

I don't know what you're talking about.

On an entirely different note, today I learned something about the way the >G forum addresses links without the qualifier "www." in front of it

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

I was referring to how the Hero of Hyrule doesn't have a normal job.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Pydro wrote:

Matchstickman wrote:

I was referring to how the Hero of Hyrule doesn't have a normal job.

With so many people just losing Rupees in the grass, would you?