The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

My good deed for the year

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester
My good deed for the year

I saved a turtle today.

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

The Conscience
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:
I saved a turtle today.

Turtles are cool!

The Myth, The Legend, The Dream. You can't escape The Conscience!

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

I saved a turtle a couple years ago and tried to keep it, but it was clear he wanted to be free. So I took him out back and set him into the grass, and he started moving away, then burrowed lightning-fast into the ground until I lost sight of him. I was astonished at his speed despite cultural prejudices, and everyone learned something that day.

Cervie77
Playtester

"Turtle Power!"

The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: boron.
--Brother Silence, Gamers: Dorkness Rising.

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

I like turtles.

Grinnell College 2016

The Conscience
Playtester

As long as the turtle saved doesn't grow up to be a super-villain or a mutant ninja or something like that.

Cervie77
Playtester

I'm with ya on the super-villain turtle Conscience, but whats so bad about the turtle growing up to be a mutant ninja?

Speaking of turtles, did any of you get creeped out as a kid by the giant turtle in Neverending Story?

The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: boron.

beevolant

I loved the giant turtle in The Never Ending Story! Almost everything else in that movie scarred me, but the turtle and the luck dragon were awesome.

"Crime doesn't keep the Sabbath"

The Conscience
Playtester

Cervie77 wrote:
I'm with ya on the super-villain turtle Conscience, but whats so bad about the turtle growing up to be a mutant ninja?

Speaking of turtles, did any of you get creeped out as a kid by the giant turtle in Neverending Story?

Nothing wrong with a mutant ninja turtle other than JayMann is not Splinter as far as I know. :P

The giant turtle in Neverending Story wasn't that creepy just very very strange as was the whole movie. Strange but still fun and entertaining.

Tamar

Turtle Rescue high-five!

Cervie77 wrote:

I wasn't creeped out, but I have this thing with mucus, so I find the sneezing super gross!

Now, the Fireys from Labyrinth? Those guys freaked me out.

I am the Bad Wolf. I create myself.
I take the words. I scatter them in time... and space.
A message to lead myself here.

Cervie77
Playtester

My two favorite moments in Neverending Story were the confrontation with the Gmorg (So menacing)  and the revelation that the princess knew about the boy reading the story. (I was right there with him, saying, no way, they can't mean him.)

Another point I would like to make is, what the heck did Artex have to become so depressed about in the swamp?
"So-oo-oory Atreyu, my wife left me for a clydesdale, I threw a shoe, and my mother got turned into glu-uu-uue. I ju-uu-ust can't go-oo-oo on."

Ah, the Labyrinth... Such a good movie!

Anyone remember Time Bandits?

beevolant

Tamar wrote:
Now, the Fireys from Labyrinth? Those guys freaked me out.

The fireys in Labyrinth have nothing on the skeksis from Dark Crystal - I didn't see that movie until I was in college and those things gave me the heebie jeebies.

The Conscience
Playtester

Ah nerds on parade! All of the Jim Henson stuff from those days had some creepy and freaky elements (he did all the puppets for Labyrinth and Dark Crystal) but you can't beat Time Bandits for sheer unadulterated weirdness. Of course, it was the Monty Python players that did it, so you can be sure it was funny and strange. Sad thing is I own all of these on DVD (including the implied TMNT).

Tamar

The Conscience wrote:
Ah nerds on parade! All of the Jim Henson stuff from those days had some creepy and freaky elements...

I'm never afraid to let my nerd flag fly :P 
The film/theatre industry really lost a genius when Jim Henson died.  For all their trying to revive it and such, the Muppets just aren't that same in the newer stuff.

Adam
Adam's picture
Admin

This is mostly true. Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol were both fantastic post-Henson Muppet films, the latter of which is an annual ritual combined with coffee and bailey's and a welling of tears.

The Conscience
Playtester

A toast to the fallen heroes of Hollyweird. May they all make the most excellent films in that movie studio in the sky.

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

So... what exactly does all this have to do with the turtle I saved?  heheheh

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

Tamar

TheJayMann wrote:

The turtle was really a dragon dog ninja muppet?

beevolant

TheJayMann wrote:

There is no turtle, only Zuul.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Isn't that supposed to be spelled "Zoole"?  At least, that was the origin story for that quote that I heard.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Cervie77 wrote:
Anyone remember Time Bandits?

Indeed. First movie I saw more than once in the theater.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

SlenderTroll
SlenderTroll's picture

Christopher wrote:
Isn't that supposed to be spelled "Zoole"?  At least, that was the origin story for that quote that I heard.

Nope. IMDb agrees with beevolant.

Grinnell College 2016

Cervie77
Playtester

Zoole apparently means crayon...

I tried to find Time Bandits on youtube last night without luck.

I did however watch Twilight Zone: The Movie, which remade two of my favorite episodes. The plane being torn appart by the gremlin and the boy with god like powers.