The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

? multiple villan characters

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
awp832
Playtester
? multiple villan characters

Question 1 has to deal with Chairman mostly.  So,  for cards that affect "the villan character card"  how does that work when there are multiple villan characters in play?  Examples here being Divine Focus, Gene-bound Shackles, and Into the Stratosphere (the damage part).    To take Divine Focus as an example, would it deal its damage to both Chairman and Operative or just one or the other?  Suppose It was the second way, and then suppose that Divine Focus was dealing its damage towards the Operative.    The Operative gets Incapacitated,  would Divine Focus "switch" targets to the chairman?  Or not?

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

TheJayMann
TheJayMann's picture
Playtester

In the specific case of The Chairman, The Chairman is the Villian Character Card, whereas The Operative is a Character Card (not the Villain Character Card).

Do good, I? No! Evil anon I deliver, I maim nine more hero men in Miami, sanitary sword a-tuck, carol I. Lo! Rack, cut a drowsy rat in Aswan. I gas nine more hero men in Saginaw. Reviled I, Nona, live on. I do... o, God!

broccoli
broccoli's picture
Playtester

TheJayMann wrote:
In the specific case of The Chairman, The Chairman is the Villian Character Card, whereas The Operative is a Character Card (not the Villain Character Card).

So does that mean we finally have a ruling on whether or not cards like Chastise can affect the Operative?  I assume the errata-ed text should say other than "a Character Card" instead of other than "a Villain Character Card"?

I remember the question being asked, but I never saw a ruling.

"I'm not prone to hyperbole, but she is the Antichrist." - chwineka

savagegreywolf

A villain always has 'Villain' on their card somewhere. I'm not sure if the Operative has it or not, as I don't have her card here in front of me.

Vyolynce
Vyolynce's picture

She doesn't. Her only type is "Assassin".

It makes facing the Organization in Megalopolis an interesting event, once someone decides to go To the Rooftops...

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

savagegreywolf wrote:
A villain always has 'Villain' on their card somewhere. I'm not sure if the Operative has it or not, as I don't have her card here in front of me.

That seems so blindingly obvious I can't believe no one has pointed it out before, I think that conclusively answers the question!

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

savagegreywolf

I suspect the Operative -might- have Villain on her card, as she -does- count as a Nemesis for Mr. Fixer.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Negative.  Just says "Assassin".

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

She definitely doesn't. I'm staring at the card right now. It's not on her character card or her rule card. You should celebrate solving a mystery!

In fact, the Chairman rules card specifically refers to the Chairman as a villain character card and the Operative as 'just' a character card.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

savagegreywolf

Well. Now I think I have a very good strategy for the Organization in my head. Pretty much playing someone like Visionary or Fanatic who can control the battlefield is pretty much a must. I still think Visionary is the most powerful person to have on the table against them though.

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

Matchstickman wrote:
[snip]

I think that conclusively answers the question!

It does.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

awp832
Playtester

Here I am trying to be cagey and you guys have to go and outfox me.    Ok,  fine,  lets just suppose for the sake of argument that there were say,  nine villan character cards.  How would it work then?

"He robbed from the rich and he-
gave to the poor.
Stood up to the Man and he-
gave him what for. 
Our love for him now,
aint hard to explain,
the hero of Canton,
the man they call "Jayne""

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

awp832 wrote:
Here I am trying to be cagey and you guys have to go and outfox me.    Ok,  fine,  lets just suppose for the sake of argument that there were say,  nine villan character cards.  How would it work then?

I'll go ahead and back this up. The Ennead deck does in fact feature 9 villain character cards.  They all have the villain type. 

And it works much more seamlessly than I anticipated when I originally drafted the concept.  I was honestly afraid it would be a massive mess.  But so far, so good!

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

AnachronismAxe
AnachronismAxe's picture
Playtester

Christopher wrote:

awp832 wrote:

I'll go ahead and back this up. The Ennead deck does in fact feature 9 villain character cards.  They all have the villain type. 

And it works much more seamlessly than I anticipated when I originally drafted the concept.  I was honestly afraid it would be a massive mess.  But so far, so good!

Oh man, hearing stuff like that just makes me want to playtest even more... the 17th needs to get here ASAP! And so does the $75k mark. ;D