The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

MindWanderer's Character Creation Tips

110 posts / 0 new
Last post
KJ_Max

So is there something about Interstellar, Alien, Minion Maker that gives a low number of Powers and Qualities?  

I'm comparing it to the example heroes in the book, and they're all between 8 and 10. 

E:  I figured this out, something I accidentally skipped in trying to match other things up.

KJ_Max

"For instance, you can't make an ability from your power source key off a power you gained from your archetype"

Where is that rule in the book?  Or the wording that implies it?

catDreaming

Edit: Sorry, the original was a bit heated of me.

The wording implies it, basically. In the Guided or Constructed methods, you won't have selected any Power or Qualities from an archetype when you are selecting abilities for your Power Source, and thus they are not available options.

A single man
Standing alone in a field of swords
Blades borne to the unmoving air
An unchanging world as their sheathe
Preserved for eternity
This is my Origin
- Avalon, The Living Sheathe

KJ_Max

OK, I get what he's saying now -- thank you.

der andere Jan
der andere Jan's picture

In term of playability (in a group), this limitation  makes sure that some of your abilities will be based on 'smaller' power dice, thus encouraging more variety during play.  

There is no "I" in "vowels"

themetallian
themetallian's picture

Can anyone confirm that you can use a power or quality gained in a previous step fo fuel an ability, so long as it otherwise qualifies?

e.g., If the criteria for an Archetype ability is a power or quality "from the [archetype] list," and you have a power or quality that is on that list, but you "acquired" it in an earlier step, is that a legal choice?

There are cases where this must be true, such as with Strength and Physical Powerhouse. But I don't know if those are exceptional or what.

I believe that it is legal in the general case, but would like to be sure.

The Metallian

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

As long as the quality or power lines up with what it says you're fine.  You are definitely fine using Strength for an ability under Physical Powerhouse even if you didn't pick it up as part of the Archetype.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Sea-Envy
Sea-Envy's picture

And you could always use your one retcon to change the POWER/QUALITY that an ability uses if you really want an ORIGIN ability to based off a power/quality from your archetype or you RP quality

The mountain watches the freedom of the sea and cries. The sea looks at the stability of the mountain and sighs.

themetallian
themetallian's picture

" And you could always use your one retcon to change the POWER/QUALITY that an ability uses if you really want an ORIGIN ability to based off a power/quality from your archetype or you RP quality."

True. but you would still be on the hook to have had some qualifying power or ability at the time the ability was chosen. And retcons are precious.

The Metallian

Pages