The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Messing with your RPG group in funny ways

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
seesome
seesome's picture
Messing with your RPG group in funny ways

My tabletop RPG group had an off-topic discussion last night about amusing ways we've messed with our fellow players in various games.  The stories weren't about things done maliciously (i.e., no tales of backstabbing or stealing from party-members), but funny things we did in character that led to amusingly bad situations for the players.

My personal favorite:

I was playing a dwarf fighter in a GURPS Fantasy campaign and had taken the disad Delusion: Literate (i.e., he believed he could read, but couldn't really).  The thing was, over half of the party was illeterate and no one questioned it when I said I could read.  Thus, whenever my character got possession of a letter or scroll, the GM would pass me a note covered in scribbles representing it and I'd "read" it to the party, making up whatever I thought was likely to be on it.  The best part was when the other players put me in charge of the map and I started arbitrarily deciding which towns were which, leading us way off course.  After a couple of sessions, the other players eventually figured it out when some of my made up stuff began to be contradicted by game events and everyone cracked up.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I played a Mind Melter in a RIFTS game once with a character who could regenerate literally any body part, up to and including his head. My character was rather depraved and would sedate this character at night, chop off his head, and bleach the skull. Then I would add that skull to the growing collection that I kept continuously orbiting around my body. By the end of the game, I had a few dozen of his skulls in the collection. And he never figured it out or even knew that it happened.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Wow Craig, that really seems like a thing a sane, normal person would think up and take delight in.  

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I think it's hilarious, Craig! cool

I have a simple one. A PC dropped a rare and ancient coin in another PC's pocket without letting anyone know. I mentioned to the second PC that he found this coin and provided a full description. He spent an entertaining amount of time using detection magics on it and otherwise researching what this coin was and where it came from.

Years later, now, the campaign's retired and he still doesn't know. angel

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

I knowingly allowed my wife's character to pick up a sentient sword and watched as it corrupted her character and her actions through out the entire campain. 

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Rabit wrote:

I think it's hilarious, Craig! coolI have a simple one. A PC dropped a rare and ancient coin in another PC's pocket without letting anyone know. I mentioned to the second PC that he found this coin and provided a full description. He spent an entertaining amount of time using detection magics on it and otherwise researching what this coin was and where it came from.Years later, now, the campaign's retired and he still doesn't know. angel

Mwah ha ha ha ha. For me, the best part of this story is that the pranked PC was commonly known as the chaotic one in the party. I don't think it would every occur to him that someone else in the part would be that chaotic.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Medic-Tank
Medic-Tank's picture
Playtester

I was playing a half-orc barbarian and a pretty stupid one at that. We were in a potential ennemy manor doing sneaky stuff when clues that our true ennemy was a doppleganger began appearing. The mage tried explaing to my character how dopplegangers could take many forms. My character started looking at the furniture and pretty much all objects around him suspiciously and finally gave in to his instinct to just rage and greatsword smash EVERYTHING around just to make sure the doppleganger was not the table, flower vase, chairs, etc...

That character was a liability in taking pretty much everything as its litteral meaning and well jumping to conclusions without really understanding the heart of the problem...

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Lol!  That sounds awesome!

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

There was a game where I played a Dragonborn in DD fifth edition, he was quite racist towards humans and elves. We were wanted in a city and being a Dragonborn and no one knowing disguise well enough to hide it, I was forced to wait outside of the town while the others went in for scouting. Well my character spotted some of the enemies approaching our camp site so I snuck away and saw them go into hiding while they waiting for us to return. So I went closer to the main entrance to town, when one of my allies had finished what they were doing and headed back to the campsite. Now this guy was playing a human, so I of course just wave him on by and let him know i'll be back at camp shortly. So while he goes to the camp and causes a distraction, my Dragonborn sneaks back and and starts killing the enemies! 

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

My Wife played an Ogre whose major motivation for fighting became more and more connected to wanting to eat different freshly killed things.  That went south when she decided that the Mage wasn't allowed to use his shiny new lightning spell because it ruined the meat.  She also ate an elf that employed us because she hadn't had Elf yet and he looked tasty. (We were getting higher level and she had eaten almost everything else at least once)

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I had a character named Aristus in White Wolf who was an alcoholic street bum.  He ran around in a floor-length green bathrobe, wizard's hat, bunny slippers, and a wooden staff with a dragon's head on it.  He also had animals randomly appearing in his beard or from underneath his bathrobe (story reasons for this!).  Anyway, he didn't see the world the same way everyone else did.  Come up with a kooky problem and he could solve it really quickly. For example, they were chasing a changeling and found a cave opening covered by a large rock.  The mage asked his allies to get him a large piece of green paper, which he then covered the rock with, causing the rock to disappear.   Come up with a mundane problem and he'd try and solve it in some way that usually caused trouble.  Fireballs to open locked doors, etc.  He caused the team all sorts of grief.

Once he stole a pack of double-mint gum from a store (at the checkout counter, no less) because his favorite color is green.  As they were arresting him, a random squirrel shows up, so they also arrest him for bringing wild animals into the store.

There was a werewolf on our team that he would often give a paper bag when he visited the werewolf's office.  The bag contained doggie treats or chew toys or similar items.

Those were good times.

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

Donner wrote:

I had a character named Aristus in White Wolf who was an alcoholic street bum.  He ran around in a floor-length green bathrobe, wizard's hat, bunny slippers, and a wooden staff with a dragon's head on it.  He also had animals randomly appearing in his beard or from underneath his bathrobe (story reasons for this!).  Anyway, he didn't see the world the same way everyone else did.  Come up with a kooky problem and he could solve it really quickly. For example, they were chasing a changeling and found a cave opening covered by a large rock.  The mage asked his allies to get him a large piece of green paper, which he then covered the rock with, causing the rock to disappear.   Come up with a mundane problem and he'd try and solve it in some way that usually caused trouble.  Fireballs to open locked doors, etc.  He caused the team all sorts of grief.Once he stole a pack of double-mint gum from a store (at the checkout counter, no less) because his favorite color is green.  As they were arresting him, a random squirrel shows up, so they also arrest him for bringing wild animals into the store.There was a werewolf on our team that he would often give a paper bag when he visited the werewolf's office.  The bag contained doggie treats or chew toys or similar items.Those were good times. 

After reading this, one question comes to mind.  Why did the werewolf have an office?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Krayden006 wrote:

Donner wrote:
I had a character named Aristus in White Wolf who was an alcoholic street bum.  He ran around in a floor-length green bathrobe, wizard's hat, bunny slippers, and a wooden staff with a dragon's head on it.  He also had animals randomly appearing in his beard or from underneath his bathrobe (story reasons for this!).  Anyway, he didn't see the world the same way everyone else did.  Come up with a kooky problem and he could solve it really quickly. For example, they were chasing a changeling and found a cave opening covered by a large rock.  The mage asked his allies to get him a large piece of green paper, which he then covered the rock with, causing the rock to disappear.   Come up with a mundane problem and he'd try and solve it in some way that usually caused trouble.  Fireballs to open locked doors, etc.  He caused the team all sorts of grief.Once he stole a pack of double-mint gum from a store (at the checkout counter, no less) because his favorite color is green.  As they were arresting him, a random squirrel shows up, so they also arrest him for bringing wild animals into the store.There was a werewolf on our team that he would often give a paper bag when he visited the werewolf's office.  The bag contained doggie treats or chew toys or similar items.Those were good times. 

After reading this, one question comes to mind.  Why did the werewolf have an office?

No one, not even Wolves, should have to work in a cubicle.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

From the sounds of it, that was from a game called World of Darkness (WoD for short), which revolves around PCs as vampires, werewolves, changelings (as in, stolen-by-the-Fae-as-a-baby-and-made-into-one-of-them, not DnD-style shapeshifters), and other wielders of paranormal abilities in a modern-day setting, so the werewolf probably had a normal job as a cover story when sticking to human form, in between doing wolfy stuff by night or something :).

So far I've not had a game in which I "messed with" the group...however, I'm about to kick off a continuation of a DnD game I initially ran for one person a few years ago on Skype (I still have all the logs and stuff of everything we did) but am now continuing on a site called RPOL (Roleplay Online) so it's now forum-based and has a couple more players. One thing you can do on RPOL is add a PM within a message (as opposed to sending a separate PM like you can on any forum, which you can do on RPOL as well), which is only visible to the person/people you've selected and shows up in orange text. However, there's also a thing called a secret message, which again can only be seen by the specified recipient(s) but shows up in normal text, with nothing to indicate that it's private. So I can describe a scene and add in some extra stuff secretly to the person with high Perception who'll notice more stuff without needing to roll, and then see what happens when their character talks about it like everyone can see it when they can't >:).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

My first thought was Bigby from Fables....

The closest I came was in a CoC game where my character had some sexual violence in the past and re-acted to being touched or surprised by people with her fists.

Well, technically, the closest I came was when I orchestrated a TPK in a game of Paranoia, but that's par for the course.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

seesome
seesome's picture

Flipping it around, there was a great gag that our GM pulled on our party once upon a time.  It was a GURPS fantasy campaign and we had been investigating the murder of a member of the royal family for some time, uncovering lots of clues that pointed to a young sorceror being involved.  When we got to the final session, he put on a Police CD and we realized that all of the clues we had found were from the lyrics to Wrapped Around your Finger and King of Pain.

Time for some scientific action!
https://twitter.com/SeeSome

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Not about an RPG, but thought I would share. I once saw two of my friends playing chess. Without even looking at the board, I go over and say, "I see a three move checkmate." The guy refused to take his turn until he found the move. Several hours later, he still didn't find it.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

phantaskippy wrote:

Krayden006 wrote:
 Donner wrote:

No one, not even Wolves, should have to work in a cubicle.

He was in denial.

defeateddust
defeateddust's picture

I had a rouge try and pick pocket another party members pocket to steal a rabbit (long strory). When attempting he failed so hard that he was 100% sure what he grabbed was the rabbit. In confidence he pulled it as hard and fast as he could in order to steal it and run away(he was not a good rouge). Needless to say what he stole was not the rabbit and the other party member needed medical attention.

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

You were playing sapient cosmetics?

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

defeateddust
defeateddust's picture

Craig wrote:

You were playing sapient cosmetics?

Sorry Craig, but I dont understand what you mean?

Krayden006
Krayden006's picture

rouge vs rogue.

Metro__plex

I had a Dsylexic wizard NPC in one of my campaigns.  One of the best spells he ever cast was explosive prunes.  Ever since then one of his scrolls seems to apear in any campaign dosn't matter if I'm the DM or not.

Theta_Sigma
Theta_Sigma's picture
Playtester

I don't know about explosive prunes, but a wizard in a game run by my gaming group had the signature spell Melf's Acid Sparrow

I don't know what makes me different and I don't care. Maybe it's not my problem, but why do they stare? - The Living End, Strange

Metro__plex

I'm working on a Disney themed campaign right now trying to tie enough together to make an interesting story.  one of our players has made a sea elf named Ariel who is looking for her dads trident which was stolen, and I have a vigilant kenku which I have named Drake Mallard.

One of the easier settings I am trying to use is the Gummie Bears, but that means incorperating Gummie berry juice.  We all know the effect that it has on the gummie bears, and its effect on humans but we also have a gnome, and sea elf in the party and I need to figure out what it will do to them.  Also want to figure out a time duration and exact buffs it will give.  I am thinking something along the lines of 1d6 rounds, for the duration, and maybe a +4 buff to strength for the humans.