The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

London/Essen 2013 - Sidekick Journal

92 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
London/Essen 2013 - Sidekick Journal

Dear Journal, today is going to be a VERY exciting day!

Well, hopefully. Just got word that high winds are causing 60 minute delays in Newark, where I'm supposed to change planes on my way to London. Hopefully I'll still make it across the pond.

I'm packed and ready to go. No real idea what the game day in London will be like. Excited to meet forum-goers. Hopefully they will forgive me if I am asleep/cranky/bizarre after dealing with the overnight flight. Perhaps my new http://www.travelrest.net/ Travel Rest pillow will help.

London is going to be fun! I mean, how do you not have fun in London? Ok, ok, ok, assuming nothing tragic happens and you have a bit of money, how do you not have fun in London? It will be interesting to see how large of a crowd shows up on Sunday. I have little idea how much they have or have not advertised it.

As for Essen? How do you prepare?! I've been to GenCon many times, but am told that Essen is three times the size. There were something like 20+ volunteers at GenCon. I don't think we're going to have anywhere near that many at Essen. Could be a mad house. What I do know is that there are many fine German meats and beers in my future.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

My lord what a long day! But wonderful. Many thanks again to Mezike for getting me from the airport and entertaining me for quite a while. Amongst other things we had a lovely game of Sentinels at a lovely pub. Put the smackdown on advanced Plague Rat.

We had a great dinner and then headed to the Harp for a great meetup. There were drinks. And drinking games. And I'm bloody tired. More later.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Glad everyone made the trip without incident. laugh Hope you all enjoy yourselves!

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

Unicode U+24BD gets us Ⓗ. (Thanks, Godai!)

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Paul was last man standing, I left him still in the pub about 11.30, he said he was fine getting back... alone, and was going to hang around in the Harp a bit longer.

Much fun was had by the English contingent.

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Not wanting to try and make this into my thread, I will merely say that there was a lot of Sentinels playing today and at least one new person was introduced to the game, who promptly bought it.

It was great to meet with the guys, and other fellow forumites, fun times were had and I wish I could have stuck around for the meal and pub tonight, like yesterday.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Yeah, it was good fun today, and cool to meet all the people I hadn't already met (so, everyone who was there except PWatson and Matchstickman, whom of course I have met before on several occasions ;)). And it was cool to see the art for the various Vengeance decks at last :). And the shop itself was cool because omg they had SO MANY GAMES AND STUFF all over every shelf - board games, card games, RPG rulebooks, omg I have never seen such a cool shop...why are places like taht so bloody rare, lol. We plan to go back there again some day as my partner wants to buy some stuff, I think ;).

Generally a good day overall. The trip back to Victoria on the bus was pretty bleh because we had to change buses partway along the route (our bus was suppoesd to go to Victoria but they cut its journey short and we all had to get out somewhere near Marble Arch or somewhere, because of traffic or something), and it took ages but we got there in the end. Also the fact that when we went a little way down the road to a little café thingy and had lunch, it decided to totally and utterly piss it down with rain when we were done, so after hiding under a rather leaky awning/canopy thingy outside the closed shop next door for a few minutes, we then legged it the thirty seconds or so down the road back to the shop and got rather wet (as various people can attest to when I came through the door looking slightly drippy ;)). Still, the shop was nice and warm so we dried off pretty quickly :).

Looking forward to more of these meet-up thingys in future, hopefully! Only next time, hopefully they won't close the one and only Tube line that we need to get there ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Very happy to have others post here. The only reason I created a new thread instead of posting in the UK game day was 'cuz I'm going to write about Essen, too.

First, a brief story to illustrate the wonderful selection of drinks in London. At the pub last night I asked at the bar what Cider they would recommend. I don't know how many different ciders they actually had, but there were enough different questions about the different ciders that I might like that I eventually just asked for something middle of the road.

Leisure Games was a smashing success. If anyone wants one of the more recent promo cards, they've got ome. We had five games going simultaneously and it was great to meet forumites and others. Note that GtG did not bring any demo games (due to packing considerations), but enough people brought and graciously allowed us to use their copies of the game that this was no problem. This included a full color version of Vengeance printed from the almost final proofs. I know I saw Matchstickman, Ameena, Silverleaf, and PWatson. If I'm forgetting anyone, please let me know. Yes, I took at least a couple pictures. Not sure when I'll get them posted somewhere. Anna had five different crocheted figures, which we lined up for a group shot. So cute!

Food in London has been great. Breakfast was particularly good. We went to a no-frills kind of place just down the street from Leisure Games and were treated to hearty spreads of breakfast meats and other fixings. I tried black pudding (blood sausage) and liked it pretty well. For dinner we went to a Persian restaurant. The service might have been slow, but the food was great. I particularly liked the warm, mint tea. 

At dinner and on the bus ride away, we were with Silverleaf and her beau and spent quite a long time just peppering Christopher with questions. He would often, of course, give uninformative answers, but there were plenty of little bits that he dropped. It's really a pitty that my memory is so poor. And I don't say that to tease you. If I could remember what he'd shared, I'd be happy to do so. One thing that did stick with me is that, though Munnin and Huginn's names may come from Norse mythology, there are no Norse gods active in SotM.

Tomorrow is purely a sightseeing day. The British Museum and drinking are on the agenda, but nothing else specific.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

It was definitely an awesome weekend. I gained some promos, lots of Sentinels info, a whole lot of great company (so nice to meet all you lovely people) and most importantly of all, a single oficial Smoke Bomb to be used at my discretion.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ronway
Ronway's picture
PlaytesterTruth Seeker

Silverleaf wrote:

a single official Smoke Bomb to be used at my discretion.

Personally I prefer Ronway Bombs. They are just like Smoke Bombs, but they have the Ronway Seal of Approval on them and genetically enhanced with the blood of a Ronway.

Prolonged exposure to Ronway Bombs may cause; nausea, allergic reactions, drowsiness, insomnia, increase of Ronwayism, hatred of anything non-Ronway, worm hole to a place where everyone knows your name, hatred of anything Ronway, creation of a mini civilization on one's chest, craving of Americanized Mexican food, acceptance that Ronway is the only way, realization that there is an "I" in "this team", self loathing, 40% increase in Ronway blood cells, sudden urges to say "Fanny", getting the nana part of Angel is a Centrefold stuck in one's head and can't look up the song based on solely that, becoming paranoid that aliens are abducting women to impregnate them with alien babies that look human, attempting to kill a hero in a super hero themed card game played by a person names Richard, stopping a game at the boss fight then completing it four years later, being able to use Google+ for one sole purpose, coughing, sneezing, itchy eyes, muscle pains, crystal tears, attempting to kill every hero in a super hero themed card game as long as the villain is going to be defeated as well, sleeping in jeans, wearing holey pants on Sundays, develop a belief in magic, develop a belief in love after love, lack of the ability to draw, lack of ability to do anything artistic, 50% more awesomeness, attempting to kill one's own hero in a super hero themed card game, disliking the taste of fish, loving the taste of fish sticks, eating chili at least 4 times a week, only being able to do HM moves, desire to be in a video game, self loathing, desire to increase one's stand with Ronway, destroying any dreaming child of 6 years if they start defeating heroes, going by a name of a character solely because the name is pretty sweet and the character themself isn't good, and self obsession.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Ronway wrote:
Silverleaf wrote:
a single official Smoke Bomb to be used at my discretion.

Personally I prefer Ronway Bombs. They are just like Smoke Bombs, but they have the Ronway Seal of Approval on them and genetically enhanced with the blood of a Ronway..

Well, then here is my official request for a Ronway Bomb. Could I please have a Ronway Bomb? Officially?

Damn it, Ronway!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I did not play Sentinels of the Multiverse today. I didn't even talk very much about Sentinels of the Multiverse. I sure did talk a lot about Greater Than Games, though. In particular I got a chance to hear from Paul about what he envisions for future conventions and various other things related to the business of Greater Than Games. It's not clear if I'm allowed to repeat any specifics, but in general-- bigger and cheaper. We will likely see even larger booths at future events, and GtG is looking for ways to make it cheaper to get games to people outside of North America. No promises, mind you, and even if they get something in place it might be a few years, but they recognize the issue and have some ideas about what to possibly do about it. Bigger booths are likely to be necessary because there will be a bunch of different games to demo. By next GenCon, for instance, there will be Galactic Strikeforce and perhaps Sentinel Tactics.

We all had a great time being tourists today. Most of the day was spent at the British Museum. The Assyrian and Sutton Hoo collections got the most attention. Paul continued leading us on a Pub crawl of establishments serving Cask Ale. I had a scotch egg made from blood sausage. Good times.

Tomorrow will be walking to tube to train to plane to train to subway to walking to get to the hotel. Tomorrow night? German food!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I was glad to hear this from Christopher just now:

(paraphrased) There is just as much story, it is just as deep, it is just as rich in Sentinel Tactics as there is in the card game.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Yeah, that ties in to what he was saying about story arcs. SotM is one arc (made up of lots of stories) and Tactics is a different arc, with some of the same characters.

Honestly, after meeting and speaking to Christopher, I can't see him making any games that aren't huge, rich, detailed and carefully-planned stories (or a serial of such a story).

Damn it, Ronway!

Martinh

Hope you're enjoying your stay in London. Was good to meetup with the team on Sunday and have Christopher show us how to really deal with Dawn. Don't eat too many English Breakfasts, you'll get far to much meat when you get to Essen. Look forward to seeing you when you pass through again next year (here's hoping)

Martin

(tall one with glasses)

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

arenson9 wrote:

I was glad to hear this from Christopher just now:(paraphrased) There is just as much story, it is just as deep, it is just as rich in Sentinel Tactics as there is in the card game.

Yeah, I got a similar statement from Christopher when I was in St. Louis a couple weeks ago. Nick and I left that dinner very, very excited about it.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Martinh wrote:

Was good to meetup with the team on Sunday and have Christopher show us how to really deal with Dawn. 

What is something new you learned about Dawn that you wouldn't have otherwise known?

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

We've made it to Germany, had good beer and food, and are about to move on to Scotch. We've gotten the very excellent news that a shipment that was feared to maybe not arrive until Thursday has arrived, so we should be able to set the booth up fully tomorrow. 

No one really has a good idea of how much traffic will come by the booth. There are eight or so people signed up to volunteer and the booth has enough space for four tables. Since the volunteers don't work the entire convention, necessarily, we will probably rarely have volunteers for all four tables, but on the other hand I'm hopeful that we'll find people who know the game well enough and want to keep playing that we can fill the tables with people happy to teach others.There's lots of people doing pickups of Shattered Timelines. I expect many of them will also stay to play and get promo cards. 

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Good luck guys, I hope it goes really well for you, and that lots of people play and have a great time and subsequently buy everything.

Enjoy Germany, I wish I could be there!

Damn it, Ronway!

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

Gods, what I would give to be able to be there. I don't even care if I had time to see the rest of the convention. Just being at the booth would be worth it.

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I will get to Essen one day, especially I'm really not that far away in the UK.

Damn it, Ronway!

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Maybe one day >G will go to a convention in the UK and we can all go to that and help out at the booth :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Ameena wrote:

Maybe one day >G will go to a convention in the UK and we can all go to that and help out at the booth :D.

That'd be great too! I've only been to one local convention that was mostly wargames and Magic and such, but I'd love to go to a bigger one. And I'd totally volunteer for >G. :)

Damn it, Ronway!

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Setup went with very little difficulty today. The booth is wider than it is deep, perhaps 10 meters wide and 4 meters deep. The back is a temporary wall. One corner has been turned into a temporary 2x2 meter storage room, complete with four walls and a door. We've got five tables set up and a small merch area. For the first time all of the merch can actually be locked away when the booth is closed, rather than just covered by sheets.

This convention puts down carpet for the booths, but not for the aisles. For the booth carpet, though, they  cover the carpet with plastic to protect it until you are ready to pull up the plastic yourself. They then build things like walls and counters on top of the plastic, which makes getting the plastic up a bit annoying, though certainly doable.

Alcohol rules are different here. A local tavern has a booth at the show and came by to offer us free tastes of blackberry and strawberry/rhubarb honey wine in exchange for having flyers for their booth at ours.

We had our volunteers dinner tonight and I got to meet seven of the eight of them: Yulia, Antje, Daniel, Mario, Antonia, Fabian, and Yan. My apologies for any names I've gotten wrong! It was a good time and I'm looking forward to working with them. Unlike a convention where everyone speaks the same language, it will be a bit more of a puzzle to match languages of demoers and demoees. Should be fun!

We're expecting to completely sell out. Taking product home is expensive. Not selling product to people who want to buy it is a missed opp. GtGs tries, therefore, to bring enough to sell out near the end of the con. On top of that, the only stock available for this con was a modest amount set aside to make sure there was _something_ for this con. If I understood correctly, there are no core or expansions in the warehouse at the moment, though there are a bunch more soon to arrive.

Want an idea of what kind of impression the GtGs folks make on people? The waiter at our restaurant recognized them from last year.

Show opens tomorrow. Volunteer orientation will be at 9. Doors open at 10. Woo hoo!

Oh, and I got in some rules questions of Christopher tonight, but writing up the answers properly will have to wait until I have more time.

EvanDan55
EvanDan55's picture
Playtester

It's good that I can live vicariously through these entries while sitting in a class I'm only half paying attention too. I want to hear everything!

You're free to do whatever you want to.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

First day of the show.

My expectations of our level of business were not met. I had in my mind what it was like at PAX East where we got absolutely slammed and were deputizing people to teach the game to others almost relentlessly, using, at our peak, nine tables. Even so, we still had a good amount of traffic. We had all five tables full a considerable amount of time and at least three or four tables going most of the day. I hear that sales were pretty good. I think about 60% of the expansions have been sold and about 40% of the base game have been sold. I doubt the stock will make it much past Sat morning.

Dealing with multiple languages adds an interesting twist, as we needed to not only match people to seats, but also make sure that the people learning could understand the people teaching. Of course most people can understand either English or German or both, so it's not _that_ complicated of a scenario, but it can still be interesting. One of our volunteers was very fluent in both German and English and, even though her native language is German, she preferred to teach in English so she didn't have to go back and forth between reading the English and speaking in German. We also have a volunteer who knows enough French to be willing to teach in that language, but despite having people who would have been happy to learn in French, that particular volunteer wasn't available at the same time. Likewise w/ one of our volunteers speaking Spanish but not being present for the Spaniards.

A ramification of the language issue is that on a fair number of occassions the people learning the game would learn from more than one volunteer. One person would get them started, but then that person would match up better with another group that was starting up, so a different volunteer would jump in to finish a game. There was one instance were a volunteer had started teaching a game in German to one person when another person wanted to join in. I ended up getting the  second person caught up to the first person using English, while the volunteer finished teaching the first person in German. I think they then started playing in German. A third person wanted to join later when I was off helping somewhere else, so Paul got them up to speed using English so they could join into the in-progress game.

There was another time when a bunch of tables turned over in quick succession while a bunch of people came up to ask to play in succession, so there was a lot of fluidity in who was sitting where. There were some English speakers at a table and a couple of native Germans somewhat grudgingly were joining that table. Then another table was starting up that was going to be an English table. Then some more German speakers showed up at the same time that a bunch of people from Ireland walked up. In the process of sorting things out I ended up saying something like, 'All the Irish go sit over in the back by yourself'. Not my most sensitive, articulate moment.

The show died _way_ down around 5pm. With two hours to go we had only a couple of games going. We are in hall 2. The really popular, long-attending booths are concentrated in hall 3. I took the opportunity around then to do a little walk through to see what the rest of Essen outside our little corner looked like. 

It's big, of course. Far bigger, booth wise, than even GenCon, which is massive. It is, however, not very flashy. It's just booth after booth and table after table of people, for the most part, playing board games. For me, it's gone past the point of interest to ridiculousness. It's like in a grocery store where there are 25 different types of sauce that are all just variations on the same thing. I won't go so far as to say that there is no reason for there to be this many games, but there is a mind-numbingly large number of them. I didn't realize just how little I know about the board game industry before I was confronted with recognizing virtually nothing of row after row of games.

And Essen is unglamorous. The convention center is old and concrete. The show does a minimal amount to dress up the place. There's carpeting in the  booths, but not between them. The bathrooms are inconvenient. It is still a spectacle due to its size and still _THE_ place to find the latest euro games and perhaps also the most obscure, but it's not as much of a SHOW, more just the largest gaming flea market.

Outside of the exhibit hall, Essen has nothing (the convention that is; the city is actually reasonably big). At GenCon and Origins there are scheduled games going on. I'm not as familiar with Origins, but at GenCon, the schedule is around the clock. GenCon also has other activities and events -- concernts, parade, paint & take, auction, art show, etc. The PAXes are a whole nother world, where boad gaming is secondary. They not only have the big flashing computer game booths, but all multiple concerts, and other things like handheld play areas, retro-gaming, etc.   

This has been an odd show for me in that I have not actually played Sentinels much. At PAX East I did a fair amount of just directing traffic, as it were, but I also ran a bunch of games. At PAX Australia I ran games almost the whole time. I'm actually starting to itch to play, which I never imagined would happen when I was working in the friggin' booth! We almost got together a volunteers game at the end of the day today, but everyone was a bit too tired. We'll see. Maybe tomorrow.

Time for sleep. Another long day tomorrow.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Thanks for sharing these, Arenson!  I am really enjoying the second-hand experience of the convention.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Val

I went yesterday, to pick up my Kickstarter copy, and I will also be visiting the fair on Sunday. I read this, and I would like to comment on some things. Mostly intended to cheer you up a bit, because you don't sound like you're having the best of times :(

arenson9 wrote:
*language issues* Not my most sensitive, articulate moment.

Don't worry. Really. Europeans are used to language issues. Some people will be grumpy maybe, but in general, people are understanding. I have demoed at Essen myself (I speak 2 language native of near native (Dutch and German) and 2 language well enough to demo games (English and French)) and usually people are forgiving and patient. Especially anyone that is born and raised in a country with a minority language. And I've seen and heard it all, including a group of passionate Italian gaming buddies that almost got into a fist fight over game rules. Dont' worry. Really :D

arenson9 wrote:
For me, it's gone past the point of interest to ridiculousness. It's like in a grocery store where there are 25 different types of sauce that are all just variations on the same thing. I won't go so far as to say that there is no reason for there to be this many games, but there is a mind-numbingly large number of them. I didn't realize just how little I know about the board game industry before I was confronted with recognizing virtually nothing of row after row of games.

I actually feel the same about the whole thing. There's an increasing number of new games released every year at Essen. I think it was a little less this year actually, with 'only' around 450-500 games. Even for visitors, the overload is difficult to handle. And gems are overlooked. It's fascinating and mind boggling to see how some of these games suddenly catch on, and others get drowned (and lost) in the massive sea of games. For me, the allure of Essen is trying some new games, but mostly spending time with friends and my gaming club, which in general has about 40 people walking around the halls. Seeing and talking to old friends that I rarely ever see except at Essen. Having dinner at the 'beer factory' (Dampfe Bierfabrik) with our gaming club and friends and designers and publishers that we 'picked up and dragged along' during the fair.

arenson9 wrote:
At GenCon and Origins there are scheduled games going on. I'm not as familiar with Origins, but at GenCon, the schedule is around the clock. GenCon also has other activities and events -- concernts, parade, paint & take, auction, art show, etc.

There have been some publishers in the past that have tried to schedule game sessions. As a visitor, I don't like it much. It means that I need to look at my watch all the time, and try and juggle the different times and different length of the demos, and calculate in the time that I need to walk from one booth to the next. Most visitors stopped bothering (or never bothered) to go through the list of 400+ new games to find the 3-4 games that they want to sign up for, for a demo. It's just undoable, unless you're a massive geek (like me). Also, there's lots going on after hours, in the pubs and hotels in Essen :D Lots of networking going on there as well.

arenson9 wrote:
I'm actually starting to itch to play, which I never imagined would happen when I was working in the friggin' booth! We almost got together a volunteers game at the end of the day today, but everyone was a bit too tired. We'll see. Maybe tomorrow. Time for sleep. Another long day tomorrow.

Go for it! You can sleep next wednesday again :D

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Thanks, Val! If you come by the booth, I hope you'll say hi. And please consider volunteering in the future.

Today's greatest success, perhaps? Finding tape and a knife. They hadn't been shipped from the US, there aren't any obvious stores nearby, and we'd missed our chance to look for them when we'd gone grocery shopping and then later shoe shopping (there's an Ecco store here) on Tue and Wed. Asking at the information desk in the hall I was told by someone sheepishly that there's a little shop on the premises that is supposed to be open, but no one was answering the phone. I was given a hand-drawn route that took me through one of the halls and then out a service door to the loading area. Hunting around I found a little corner shop that was closed. Peering in I saw a combination of a few tools, shipping paraphenalia, snacks and drinks. But, as mentioned, it was closed. Unwilling to give up, I approached the next person I saw, who was nearby having a smoke, and asked if they happened to have any tape I could use. He proceeded to put out his cig, walk past me back towards the shop and motion me to follow. He then unlocked the door, turned on the light, invited me in, and went and stood behind the counter. A short while later I emerged victorious with a roll of duct tape and a box knife.

Today was very good. Maybe just a little busier than yesterday, but mostly the same. I found it quite exciting when we had demos going in three different languages at the same time -- English, German, and French. Over the two days we've also had native speakers of Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Dutch, and Russian that I know of. We also had at least a couple people who looked to be of East Asian descent, but I didn't interact with them enough to know what their native languages were.

Not sure if I misunderstood how much stock was left yesterday or if sales were just significantly slower today, but the current estimate is that the expansions will maybe sell out by the end of Saturday and the core games some time on Sunday. There are about ten people who have still not picked up their Shattered Timelines Kickstarter rewards. That product is going to be released to others on Sunday, which will provide a precious few more oversized villain cards and mini-expansions that are otherwise sold out.

I love our volunteers so much. It has just been super fun to have them in the booth. At any given minute I might not be showing it, because I'm focusing on the crowds, but it has just been great to have their help and hang out with them.

We had a fair number of tables today with people who'd played before -- sometimes tables that liked the game enough and wanted to play again immediately, sometimes people returning from yesterday or even just fans of the game who came by to play. At one point we had two different games going against Iron Legacy simultaneously. One lost and one won, though the table that won probably should not have -- they went for a few rounds on Iron Legacy's flipped side before they realized Iron Legacy was supposed to heal on that side. There was also a group that had complained about the game being easy, who then next took on Voss. I wanted to make sure they had a challenge, so stacked the deck such that the Stalwart and a Forced Deployment were the first and fourth cards. They ended up winning that, though again I think there might have been some missed rules here and there.

Tomorrow/Saturday, like any convention, is expected to be the biggest crowd. We may have to try to be more careful to keep the games to simpler/faster decks, though it's unclear how much more we can do. We are a bit hampered by the fact that we are using three sets of decks to cover five tables. Not every game can be Baron Blade in Insula Primalis with the volunteer using Legacy. We started off using Omnitron in place of Baron Blade, but those games have been running pretty long. We switched today primarily to games involving Ambuscade, but those can run pretty long, too, and I saw a group of players get absolutely destroyed by nasty combination of lots of devices, lots of one shots that lead to more card plays, and the Ruins of Atlantis causing a bunch more villain card plays. I switched to Plague Rat for at least a couple plays, which I like fairly well, but can be pretty complicated unless the person leading the game can explain the Infections and flip mechanics succinctly. Other possibilities include La Capitan and Akash'Bhuta, but both of those are often quite long games, too.  

The heroes get interesting as well. If two games are run out of the same box and I put Legacy, Tempest, Ra, Expatriette, and Chrono-Ranger (the last two so that I could get a couple of expansions represented) at the first table, who do I put at the second? I settled on Visionary in place of Legacy and Haka and Fanatic were pretty clear choices, but after that all the heroes are a little less straightforward for one reason or another. Wraith and Tachyon ended up being used. What I wanted was to give new players less complex heroes, have multiple expansions represented at each table, and have a good mix of genders of the heroes at each table. That's a pretty tall order.

Lots of people have asked about Galactic Strike force or about translations (usually for German). The GtGs folks are looking seriously into the translations, but nothing is set yet. I get the sense that there's a pretty decent potential market in at least a few places if there were translations available.

And now I'm off to try to figure out if there's anything I can reasonably do to make my super scratchy throat feel better before I try to get some sleep.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hello again! Day three finished. Today was supposed to be the big surge of people. Frankly, I didn't see it, though Christopher said that sales were good today. Shattered Timelines and all of the mini-expansions are out. There are a handful each of RC and IR. Not sure how many pre-orders remain unclaimed, but not too many.

The booth seemed no busier today than previous days and a significant portion of that was people playing multiple times and a bit more aggressive recruitment of players. There were just a few times when players had to be turned away/wait. 

The games were much more in German today than other days. I wonder if that's because the majority of people who would come just on the weekend are more likely to be local.

Iron Legacy went down in defeat in a thrilling game today. I'm hard-pressed to remember a whole lot about other particulars of individual games. Kizmet, Plague Rat, The Dreamer, and the Matriarch managed to each get to the table at least once today, along with the staples of Baron Blade, Ambuscade, and Omnitron. I don't know if any of our volunteers had any trepidation before the con showed, but none have seemed to have any problem at all having a great time teaching the game. I think the biggest challenge may be that with only exactly 25 chairs and the tables often completely full, there has been quite a lot of standing and leaning -- using muscles that maybe don't get used regularly.

Sadly, I have been sick. Got a sore throat overnight that was nasty enough that I sought out a doctor's advice to make sure it wasn't something more than a cold. Doesn't seem to be. I'm on acetaminophen, which helps a little with the pain at least. The silver lining is that I had a beautiful walk this morning to find the hospital and then to find the pharmacy.

At dinner tonight I ended up  sitting next to a couple from England who are massive Sentinels fans, to the point of having created their own system of doing Sentinels campaigns. I've encouraged them to join the forums and share their system. I sometimes forget that there are probably far more big fans of Sentinels who are _NOT_ involved in the forums than vice versa.

I'm not involved with any of the GtG business dealings, but it has been interesting to hear bits and pieces -- discussions about how to maybe go about getting German and French translations and various conversations with other people in the industry about how to help other people starting up with either creating a game or with some other facet like distribution or fullfillment.

Last day tomorrow! I'm hoping to take some time during the exhibitor only hour to get over and play a friend of mine's game. I'm not expecting a whole lot out of tomorrow. I think a lot of people will have left and most people will have made their purchases. Perhaps we'll get a lot of people coming by hoping to find bargains, but I don't think they'll find them. 

That's all the ramblings I can think of for today. Peace out.

There was some filming of an interview with Christopher in the booth today, so at some point I think we'll have that to look forward to.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

The show is over.

Frankly, it ended with a bit of a whimper rather than a bang. Foot traffic was light and sales seemed pretty light. There was no auction. Paul and Christopher found various retailers/distributors willing to buy the remaining stock at wholesale prices.

There was a quite exciting game against Kizmet by Christopher and some of the volunteers this morning. They squeaked out a win with just one hit point left amongst the heroes, I think. They were saved by Fixed Point in the final round.

There doesn't seem like much else to say. I was pretty burned out by the afternoon and didn't muster the energy to try to entice passers-by to play the game very often. A couple of times when I did it paid off nicely, though, as people tried to the game and seemed to really like it. 

In the end, I can't really recommend Essen that highly. Yes, it's huge, and if you want to try all of the latest games, it's the place to do it, but ... it's a bit dingy, frankly, and I don't get the same feel like I do from GenCon or PAX of people being at a celebration of gaming, rather than just a massive flea market. Of course, when you have friends in a place, you can have a great time, and we did -- not just seeing people in the convention hall, but going out to dinner and drinks in the evenings.

That's it, folks! Feel free to ask questions, if you happen to have any. Tomorrow we head back to the US. Tonight I am watching Paul and Christopher play 'Tetris' as they try to figure out how to get all of the games people have given them into the suitcase they bought in London.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Yeah, I reckon it's a mistake to think of Essen as a games convention - it's really a huge trade fair.

Note: I've never been to Essen or to a "proper" convention so I'm entirely basing this opinion on hearsay.

Damn it, Ronway!

der andere Jan
der andere Jan's picture

Silverleaf wrote:

Yeah, I reckon it's a mistake to think of Essen as a games convention - it's really a huge trade fair.

So true.

At first, I found it difficult to share your disappointment. I thought, the 'Spiel' is by far the most enjoyable, creative and freakish trade fair of all. With all you guys at the booth, it was even more fun, so wtf?
But then I tried to think of it as a gamers' convention, as you're probably used to, and... yeah you're right, from that perspective it seems a bit lame.

As for the grandeur of the place itself... remember, we germans are uncharismatic bores, right? The mere existence of gaming as a concept is... whoa, freakish! ;)

Still, I'd be sorry if you felt your time here was wasted. Because you did a great job, you've made quite a few new fans and left an overall impression of awesomeness I wouldn't have missed for the world - that must count for something!

Hope to see you next year, anyway.

There is no "I" in "vowels"

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Keep in mind that's arenson9's opinion - the opinion of Greater Than Games is likely something different (otherwise they wouldn't keep coming back).

Just want to make sure everyone has the right perspective. smiley

"See, this is another sign of your tragic space dementia, all paranoid and crotchety. Breaks the heart." - Mal

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hi, Jan!

I'll probaby post an epilogue at some point when I'm more rested. I've made it home and had a full night sleep, but am definitely still recovering -- both mentally and physically. More sleep and getting over a cold would be nice, but as well my brain needs a chance to process everything.

The thing that makes almost any situation for me is the people. Being with Paul and Christopher is great and you volunteers were really wonderful. We also had many other excited existing and new fans come by, but not at the same levels as I've seen at other conventions. Cultural and language barriers played a part. I couldn't connect with people as easily and couldn't judge as well how people were reacting. 

I don't think there's any doubt that being at the show helps introduce the game to new people and raise excitement about the game. Given the cost to get GtG and stock to the show, though, and the relative size of Essen compared to other convetions (much bigger), the comparatively modest interest from attendees was a surprise to me and may not prove to be enough to justify the expense. 

BUT, I don't want anyone to think that I'm not thrilled to have gone. I enjoyed my trips to London and Essen immensely, was very happy to see the spectacle of the Spiel, and to be with great people. Plus, schnitzel!

yassya

arenson9 wrote:

There was also a group that had complained about the game being easy, who then next took on Voss. I wanted to make sure they had a challenge, so stacked the deck such that the Stalwart and a Forced Deployment were the first and fourth cards. They ended up winning that, though again I think there might have been some missed rules here and there.

So thats why our other games (after the convention, and yes we kept playing of course ;-) ) against level 3 villains seemed to be easier then that one. I think we missed one or two of Voss' triggers so you are right with that. Besides, it was a very close game, the Mars Base did really save us once. Thanks for getting us hooked to that game. 

Rabit
Rabit's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Glad to hear folks discovered and enjoyed it! And welcome to the community, yassya. smiley

MigrantP
MigrantP's picture

Thanks for posting these journal threads, Andy. It's really great to hear your perspective on events that not everyone can make it to. Maybe someday!

Lead Bit Flipper, Handelabra Games
Developer of Sentinels, Bottom of the 9th, and Spirit Island

OrangeWhip
OrangeWhip's picture

Hi there

Antonia and myself really enjoyed the two days and Essen and especially the time we were explaining and playing the game. It was a pleasure meeting you guys and you other volunteers and, of course, all you new players. I hope to return next year, hopefully at Essen, but if necessary at any other place.

Looking at the SPIEL from a four days disctance I must say: yepp, Essen is not a games convention but the biggest fair for games in the world. And in Germany there's the saying "The farmer doesn't eat what he doesn't know". Many people attend the SPIEL mostly beacause they know where to buy their favorite games and where to get their beloved promos (Jan and I created the term "promo sapiens" for the regular convention guy ... anyone wants to agree to that?) and they are veeeery curious and cautios when it comes to new games. And when these new games are in a foreign language ... they just turn to another booth.

But I think (and hope) that Sentinels has reached new people and players who will spread the word and the cards.

Oh yes, if you'll return next year, you definitly need a bigger banner. The booth was kind of swallowed by its surrounding.

A wonderful time, thank you everyone

"... uhm ... do you have promo cards? You do? Could I have ten? And would you sign them? And I have a very cool idea for your game, you can't survive without my idea ... "

promo sapiens

Famnig

Hi everyone!

So I finally registered at the site after living vicariously through Daniel for a while now smiley

It's a shame sales weren't quite up to what you guys expected. I'd wager that some of it has to do with the switch to only 3 halls and the fact that the Sentinels booth was located smack bang in the middle of Hall 2 - which otherwise was mostly RPG stuff and CCGs. As a consequence, there weren't that many random passers-by who were into board and card games at all. Sone of the smaller English-language publishers in the other halls seemed to have much better luck with their booth placement. Cranio Games, for example, had their booth located a) on one of the outer corridors and b) next to Heidelberger and Queen Games who both drew huge crowds. That made for a constant stream of people passing their booth and stopping to have a look. As Paul and Christopher told me, Merz Verlag (the company behind Spiel) weren't exactly accommodating when it came to booth arrangements. Maybe have a German-speaking person try and hassle them for a better location next time?

Another aspect, as has been already mentioned, is the difference between Essen and the (mostly North American) dedicated gaming conventions such as GenCon or Origins. The geek crowd is probably represented much stronger at the latter conventions, and there is more of an emphasis on open gaming. At Spiel, families with children and casual gamers make up a large percentage of the crowd. Not that Sentinels has that complicated of a rules set (hey, I've got the t-shirt to prove it!), but the language barrier was definitely a problem here. Many Germans, even many gamers, just aren't up to that level of English reading comprehension.

That said, I very much hope that there WILL be a next time for GTG at Essen because I absolutely loved working for you guys! We had a great combination of an awesome product and awesome people going on at the booth. And this boring, uncharismatic German is going to experience SOTM and your other games flying off the shelves at GenCon next year...

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Welcome to the forum! The best part of Essen this year was definitely you and all of our other awesome volunteers. 

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hello Antje! Hello Fabian! Lovely to have you guys here.

Julia
Playtester

Oh hell, let's make a reunion out of this thread then... I am so gonna repeat what was already said, though, because I agree with my fellow Essenees up there.

Board/Cardgaming is not an exclusive geek sport over here. I actually know a bunch of shockingly boring Germans who play boardgames and who can't tell Star Trek from Star Wars, Marvel from DC and Starbuck from Starbucks. They are normal people who usually happen not to go for anything besides Eurogames. If it doesn't have small wooden blocks, they don't wanna play.

As for the location of the booth... okay, that really wasn't that great. I once left the booth for 5 minutes to go and look for someone, and actually got lost on my way back. I think nobody knew where anything was this year, and facing a side aisle with a misleading banner peeking over the top of the booth was probably not helping with the visibility. But seriously, I saw the booth at Essen last year, and that was in an even more remote place and soooo tiny! As Antje said, if the organisers need kicking so you guys get a better location next year, put a German on it. We are as stubborn as... very stubborn things.

Sales not being good is a bad thing, but I have seen stallowners putting their products in the trash during clean up because they couldn't get rid of it and they couldn't transport it back. And that is even worse. Plus I would have bought something, but I already had everything and I sent you all the friends I had!

I wouldn't complain about lack of traffic though, I played well over 40 games over the 4 days, and I was the one who was always hanging back in case there was an English group coming up, so that wasn't even a lot. And at some point on the Sunday (reportedly the slowest day, but Hall 2 was still very busy when the other Halls had already cleared out), I had people queuing for a  demo more than once. So I think we couldn't have handeled much more, demo-wise. 

This has only been the second year. And Essen is kind of lazy that way. You don't necessarily buy a game, just because you have seen it at Essen once. There are some games that have been sold at Essen for 5 years, and I still think, nah, I'll buy a copy next year. And sometimes then the companies don't come back, and that makes me feel really bad. 

So I can't compare it to anywhere else, because I have never been to any convention or simlar event outside Europe (I'd probably go mad if I did!). But you always get sentimental about what you grow up with, so yeah, I like Essen. It's really all that Germany has to offer.

Semper ludens.

OrangeWhip
OrangeWhip's picture

That's not true ... as Andy pointed out there's also schnitzel. And beer! (the last one gets a really sentimental value when you're not living in Germany anymore. The Swiss have damn fine cheese and the best choclolate in the world, but beer ... and they don't have any big gaming conventions. Yet)

I think Andy feels about Essen like this quote from Hot Shots Part Deux

What are you reading Topper?

- "Great Expectations".

Was it any good?

- It's not what I hoped for.

I think it was a (please insert xx positive/negative superlatives here) experience for everyone. and a good laugh at more than one time.

Fruit flies like banana. Won-der-ful

By the way: if any of you feels the need to explore Switzerland or just to play Sentinels in a foreign country, you can drop by any time you want. Antonia and I live neart Zurich and about an hour away from the (or some) mountains.

"... uhm ... do you have promo cards? You do? Could I have ten? And would you sign them? And I have a very cool idea for your game, you can't survive without my idea ... "

promo sapiens

Julia
Playtester

I think next year we all have to do Essen in costume. Then we stage a show heroes/villain confrontation for the waiting people outside before the Halls open and when they come in, they know where to go ;P

Semper ludens.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

I definitely understand where Andy is coming from the perspective of an American running game demos - Essen is a different kind of show than US (more like a flea market than a geek convention), and language and cultural barriers can be an issue for many attendees (especially since Sentinels is a game with tons of English text and tons of cards rather than wooden cubes :) ). However, lest anyone worry about us or our support for the European market, here are some business infos:

1) We are seriously exploring options for translating the game into French and German, and have a few less developed leads on a few other languages.

2) Going forward, our booth will be *much* fancier and attention-grabbing (this is true of all of our booths, actually, including our Gen Con booth).

3) We have already been exploring our options in terms of getting a better booth location, and I definitely agree that getting a German to talk to Merz Verlag will be the way to go!.

4) We are also looking into lowering our attendance costs (shipping in particular).

5) In spite of our suboptimal booth location, sales this year were perfectly acceptable (and we were completely sold out by the end of the show).

6) One day, we will publish more than just one game, which will also help sales and booth traffic. Who knows, we might even have a game with little wooden shapes one day!

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Julia! Welcome, welcome, welcome. So glad to see you here, too.

One point about Essen that it occurs to me that I may not have properly paid homage to is that it has GAMES. Lots and lots and lots of board games of various stripes. The only real comment I made about this above is that I found it overwhelming, but as I think more about how Essen compares to GenCon, PAX(s), and Origins, anyone who is used to Essen is going to find these other conventions scandilously devoid of board games. Yes they have them, but they are not the focus. At PAX, the focus is video games. At GenCon, the focus is roleplaying games. At Origins, board games comes a close second, but the major focus is probably tabletop miniatures.

Were I to have been an attendee at Essen, while I might have missed the party atmosphere of everyone being into geek culture, and while I might have been overwhelmed by the immensity of SO MANY CHOICES, including a ton of Euro-games that are too similar to each other and not interesting enough to me to hold my attention, I could have easily spent the entire four days doing nothing but trying cool new game after cool new game. It really is an incredible bonanza. All I did was attempt to walk around enough of it to feel like I'd seen most parts, even from afar, without stopping at any booths, and just that took me an hour.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

OrangeWhip wrote:

Fruit flies like banana. Won-der-ful 

By the way, I partially botched this joke, leaving out the first half:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_flies_like_an_arrow

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Paul wrote:

6) One day, we will publish more than just one game, which will also help sales and booth traffic. Who knows, we might even have a game with little wooden shapes one day!

Come now Paul, do not say such things. Stay positive! wink

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Foote wrote:

Paul wrote:

Come now Paul, do not say such things. Stay positive! wink

I just assumed each one would have a little cape.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Nothing says the miniatures for Tactics have to be made of plastic...

you can look for wooden peg superhero dolls on Etsy and see some silly examples

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Nothing...

The miniatures for Tactics have to be made of plastic.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Pages