The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Letters Page Fan Fiction?

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
The Mariner
The Mariner's picture
Letters Page Fan Fiction?

Hail, forumites!

For those of you who regularly listen to the Letters Page podcast, a distinct mythos has begun to make itself clear- a second meta-fiction, wherein a few heroes (question-askers) battle the forces of evil (usually the Cult of Gloom or Biomancer).  I would like to compose a story, Fleshwar, surrounding these events.  However, I would be remiss to roll someone’s persona into my story without their permission.  So, if you wouldn’t mind me taking your username and any related information available through the Letters Page and with samesuch information crafting your place in the events occuring in Fleshwar, please let me know!  I’m especially interested in the big movers and shakers- I’d make a list but I don’t want to offend anyone by forgetting them- but anyone is welcome to request a place in this world.  The battle between Gloom and Flesh is going to take quite a few installments, so it’s never too late to let me know.

To be clear, I’ll do no more than place the implied character of your username in the events of my story, and all I want is your permission to do so.

Thanks for the help!

Mariner

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

This sounds fantastic!  You are more than welcome to use Arcanist Lupus if you so desire.

Arcanist Lupus is (as you may have gathered) a wolf who practices magic.  He doesn't speak exclusively in limericks, but does generally prefer poetry and cryptic riddles (like any good wizard).  His wizarding specialty is traveling from place to place unseen and unhindered.  He's fluent in modern human society, but doesn't interact with it much.

Arcanist Lupus doesn't really like the Cult of Gloom, but as long as he doesn't discover them doing anything too egregious or interfering in the forests he calls his home, he mostly ignores them.  He mostly ignores Biomancer too, but he's researching a way to give Arcanist Lepas their independence.  Results haven't been promising yet, but Arcanist Lepas seemed to be interested, and where there's a will there's a way.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

For a second, I was afraid you were going to be writing fanfiction about Christopher and Adam. c.c I would have been upset.

This sounds like a fine idea, however. :B I don't actually have a stable persona in the letters, so don't worry about me.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

There are times I kinda regret not using my username to ask questions with.

"If life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon."

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Resident Argent Adept and Biomancer fangirl, be forewarned.

The Girl With N...

Well, uh, I am a girl, with no name.

There is also a squirrel with no name.

...That's basically it.

EDIT: I guess you could do cowboy things?

PlatinumWarlock
PlatinumWarlock's picture

By all means, feel free to use me.

I have no allegiance to Biomancer, the Cult of Gloom, or Princess Cool, so my fate and allegiance are in your hands. Place me where you need a character.

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

Personally I like both the Gloomies and Biomancer's strange crew, and think everyone should be one big... we'll go with "satisfied"... evil demented family. Much more efficient and practical to take over the world when it's only the heroes you're fighting, after all.

Not always the best at social skills; I apologize in advance. I don't apologize for any corny and morbid jokes, though.

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

You can use Powerhound_2000

I’m pretty neutral to the whole Cult of Gloom and Biomancer stuff.   At the very least I’m not joining either willingly.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I'm not really a major player, but you have my name if you want it.  I've submitted a number of letters under the names of various characters who I'm sure will appear in your story, but claiming them would be telling.  Besides, I figure anyone who submits letters under the names of cultists, fleshchildren, alternate-reality versions of C&A or Sentinels characters, etc. is pretty much volunteering for this sort of thing implicitly.

Powerhound, you don't have an opinion even though there's a fleshchild of you now?

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!

Powerhound_2000

There’s also somehow animal verse version of me too.  It hasn’t caused me any troubles yet and it didn’t even use my normal opening.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

pricyprovinces
pricyprovinces's picture
Playtester

I only have a few questions appearing in the letters page myself, but feel free to use my name wherever you like.

if life gives you lemons, make a lemon cannon. - the scholar, stranger in a strange world #9

Arcanist Lupus
Arcanist Lupus's picture
Bolster AlliesInspiring Presence

Powerhound_2000 wrote:

You can use Powerhound_2000I’m pretty neutral to the whole Cult of Gloom and Biomancer stuff.   At the very least I’m not joining either willingly.  

Also, he's very curious.

"Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?"

- Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

The Girl With N...

You know, I always pictured Powerhound as Mr. Burns. I think "ahoy-hoy" is a quote from him or something.

PlatinumWarlock

Fun fact: ahoy hoy was the intended salutation for the telephone, per Alexander Graham Bell. Never really caught on, though.

Powerhound_2000

Both are the reasons I use that for my intro. 

TakeWalker
TakeWalker's picture

I thought it was because you were a pirate! D:

Powerhound_2000

Nope.  

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I've only imputed a few questions and was lucky enough to have them read aloud on the podcast, and I never really developed a 'personality' for my questions either, so I don't think you'll find much use for me. But if you need a bit player or someone to fill out a scene, than feel free to use me.

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

You may use Cult of Gloom, Omnitron P.I., and the angry taxpayer with my blessing.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

I’m filling out the rosters.  I still need another person for the Coolness Five, one for Rook Watch, and 2 for the Time Wardens.  I think that Angry Taxpayer can be a Freedom Five member, mayyyybe.  And Guise can slip in there somewhere because I couldn’t stop him from trying if I wanted to.

Yeah, that sounds about right- Guise

I’m making the bold move of putting Princess Cool in the Coolness Five, just because Cooltopia is so influential to the narrative already.  So that puts us right now with the Coolness Five being Princess Cool, Pricy Provinces, Power Hound, and Mind Wanderer.  The Rook Watch is Take Walker, Omnitron PI, and Phantom.  And the Time Wardens are Arcanist Lupus, the Girl with no Name, and Platinum Warlock.  No offense to Jeysie, but your earlier comment about big evil families means you’re a cult leader.

Can anyone think of any specific instances where someone wrote in under like a wacky Citizen or something?  Obviously cultists and fleshchildren are too busy being the bad guys right now, and I still need at least two people...

Cult of Gloom
Cult of Gloom's picture
Playtester

The Mariner wrote:

I’m filling out the rosters.  I still need another person for the Coolness Five, one for Rook Watch, and 2 for the Time Wardens.  I think that Angry Taxpayer can be a Freedom Five member, mayyyybe.  And Guise can slip in there somewhere because I couldn’t stop him from trying if I wanted to.

Yeah, that sounds about right- Guise

I’m making the bold move of putting Princess Cool in the Coolness Five, just because Cooltopia is so influential to the narrative already.  So that puts us right now with the Coolness Five being Princess Cool, Pricy Provinces, Power Hound, and Mind Wanderer.  The Rook Watch is Take Walker, Omnitron PI, and Phantom.  And the Time Wardens are Arcanist Lupus, the Girl with no Name, and Platinum Warlock.  No offense to Jeysie, but your earlier comment about big evil families means you’re a cult leader.Can anyone think of any specific instances where someone wrote in under like a wacky Citizen or something?  Obviously cultists and fleshchildren are too busy being the bad guys right now, and I still need at least two people...

Look Pal, I don't know what kind of wise guy you think you are. But if you need a couple more mooks and thugs to round out your little party, I know that there was a Legitmate Rook City Buisnessman what sent in a letter one time.

I also happens to know that a pair of hatchmen what go by Equity and Heartbreaker have been known to wet their whisltes whislt having a gentlemanly conversation about how to whack off a few of the long underwear types all professional like. Though that racket may already be spoken for so I would make sure that youse weren't stepping on anybodies toes if you were gonna call on the cleaning services of those two. Thats a good way for a few accidents to happen.

There was also some pointdexter by the name of Badguy 101, and if you think that me and my associates are criminals you should see what textbooks go for these days.

Remember, don't turn that frown upside down! Turn it into Eldritch Power to summon our Dark Master to Spite a world that has wronged you.

The Girl With N...

I'm on a team with a poetic wolf and a wizard?

best thing ever

Jeysie
Jeysie's picture

The Mariner wrote:

No offense to Jeysie, but your earlier comment about big evil families means you’re a cult leader.

I get to be in charge of something? Ooh. I like this idea already.

(FWIW, I am the person with the RL name who starts their questions with "Hello, intrepid creators!" and generally asks either "how does everyone get along?" type stuff or "how does everything work?" type stuff.)

Blackfang108
Playtester

Oh, this is ending well...

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

I know there have been a few Citizens to write in, but the only name I remember is Citizens Peanut, Butter, and Jelly.  Which is a particularly funny one because C&A mentioned Citizens Peanut, Butter, and Jelly in an early episode (Expat or Dawn, most likely, but I forget), but then when Citizens Peanut, Butter, and Jelly actually wrote in they insisted it would be Citizen Peanut Butter and Citizen Jelly.

Submit your games here!

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Sorry for any convenience, but Platinum Warlock is moving to the Rook Watch, and Citizens Peanut, Butter, and Jelly are joining the Time Wardens.  If anyone else is interested, there could be a fourth team called the Letter Pages (like the Southwest Sentinels, named after the source material), but they wouldn’t appear in Episode I.  As for me, I’m going to serve as the narrator in the canon timeline, trying to plead my fellow Time Admiral, Maria Helena, to spare a particular universe...

Fun fact: Inside jokes can provide for really colorful and dynamic characters.

EDIT: Also, coming up with “real” names for everyone in true comic book fashion is fun.  Citizen Peanut is Peter Nought, Power Hound is Howard Pound, etc.

PlatinumWarlock

I have no issue being moved, as it appears I've become the Nightmist of Rook Watch. If I end up turning into a pillar of iron or such, though, we're going to have words... :P

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Great News, Everyone!  Chapter 1 is up!  It introduces the Coolness Five and the Time Wardens, and sets up a bit of internal conflcit for the heroes to work through later.  Chapter 2 will introduce the Rook Watch vs. the Cult of Gloom!  But are those cultists real, or just fleshchildren?  Only the Shadow knows!*

*The Shadow may or may not know.

Guise
Guise's picture

As a fellow letter writer I’ll have to sadly decline being included because it wouldn’t be fair to others.   I mean if I’m available for this fan fiction there’s no way anyone else will even get a mention.  cheeky   Later folks *smoke bombs* Christopher will never miss these.  

We're going to fight EEEEEEEVIL! Because, you know, EEEEEEEVIL!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

I'm happy and honored to be a part of this. :) Can't wait to see how you protray me.

Raccoonoo
Raccoonoo's picture

Aha... I'd love to participate, but my only letter that's been read on the air so far was way back in The Wraith episode and I left my name blank for that one. I look forward to reading this!

X-metal
X-metal's picture

I'd praticipate as some side character who is never seen or heard but is just there silently waiting for his letter to be read. (No, i'm not bitter)

His name is Sephiroth but his friends call him Sephie.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Just hold out, old buddy.  I didn’t get my first until Tempest (I was the one who called back to Omnitron stationery).  And since I discovered Christadam & Opher’s secret weakness for bad puns and touching commentary on heightism, I’ve concocted the PERRRRRFECT formula to be in EVERYYYYY episode!  MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  Btw I don’t know if I made it into Voss yet so don’t tell me.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Also, so everyone’s aware, I haven’t forgotten about Fleshwar.  Life (and Omnitron-V) just got in the way.  I’ll be back on Part 2 shortly.

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Powerhound_2000 wrote:
There’s also somehow animal verse version of me too.  It hasn’t caused me any troubles yet and it didn’t even use my normal opening.  
All right, I'll own up to this one.  I wrote the Powerhound_2001 letter back in July and hadn't noticed your Ahoy-hoy opening yet.  I noticed my mistake a couple of weeks later and wrote another letter for the Grand Warlord Voss episode as Powerhound_2002, congratulating C&A on noticing the counterfeit Powerhound, who had now been dealt with and they would never have to worry about a fake Powerhound ever again, don't bother looking too closely.  Sadly, nearly all the questions in that letter were asked by others (they were all about the science behind Gene-Binding, as you'd expect from a Biomancer letter) and the running gag I was hoping to establish is dead.  It seems in general like they're deliberately cutting down on the letters page personality shenanigans so they don't dominate the show as badly as they used to.

Submit your games here!

Phantom5613
Phantom5613's picture
Playtester

It's looking good so far! Eager to see more of it. ^-^

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

The next chapter will probably focus on the Time Wardens as they interrogage Equity, and will feature the first hints of the coming Fleshwar...

JadaSticks

Man, I really have to catch up on these.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

Well, now that one of my letters has been read on the air you have full permission to use me... as some minor character who get’s killed off for no reason.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

X-metal wrote:

Well, now that one of my letters has been read on the air you have full permission to use me... as some minor character who get’s killed off for no reason.

wait! I change my mind! If I die I won’t be able to make a sp8n-off, if that’s okay with you.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

It’s been a long wait, but Chapter 3 is live.  My apologies to TGWNN for her character being kinda terrifying, and Arcanist for only speaking in limericks.

X-metal
X-metal's picture

If I get a role it should just be like toad in this bitf comic (he's in the bottom right corner)

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/comic/597-mmafd3/

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

Just read what you got. Seems fun. If you still have more planned, you can use my name if I am not too late.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

I've been busy with life.  But I'm happy to post a new chapter...

As soon as the last one isn't the most recent post in the Fan Fiction forum.

BrianleWolfhunt
Playtester

If you like, I can hurry up with my La Capitán story. First chapter needs a few edits.

The Mariner
The Mariner's picture

Please do.  I’ve been looking for a reason to write more Fleshwar.  The next chapter will focus back on the Coolness Five, as they meet up with the masked hunter Brian leFute, the former archenemy of the Arcanus Lupus, who offers to fill the role left by Victory.  They’ll probably have to fight some fleshchildren or something.