The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

La Comodora: Curse of the Black Spot Unlock Discussion

74 posts / 0 new
Last post
bolnerap
La Comodora: Curse of the Black Spot Unlock Discussion

So, this is a little anticlimactic: both Nyx and I got it on our first try. Both of us had La Capitan vs. La Comodora and several teammates including Greatest Legacy and a Haka, both of us were in Time Cataclysm, both of us played all of her equipment at least once, and both of us finished the game with Run Aground moving lots of equipment (in my case, 8; in Nyx's case, I'm not sure).

If anyone has other information to chip in, let us know so we can try to narrow down the condition some more.

NyxFSSD

https://pastebin.com/ywiTYpn3 for my log, and a quick summary of stuff I could gather from talking with bolnerap.

-Comodora vs. Capitan in Time Cataclysm
-Greatest Legacy and any Haka might be required, but suspecting not
-Both bolnerap and I had one of each equipment in play at some point
-Killed Capitan with a Run Aground that moved at least 8 equipment and did at least 10 damage.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ok, so.

I did the following:

La Comodora, Benchmark, and Luminary vs La Capitan at Time Cataclysm. Every unique equipment was in play (at once, even) and I won by doing the biggest possible Run Aground: no cards in the deck, no equipment cards in hand, and only the helm left in play. 17 damage for the kill.

I did use the Rudder's power, but not the Future Tech-Deck Gun (I know it's Future-Tech Deck Gun, as in a Deck Gun that utilizes future-tech, but I think it's funny to visualize a gun that shoots futuristic, finger-sized skateboards)

No unlock.

So, strictly Comodora vs Capitan in Cataclysm, and "have one of each at some point, and the killing blow must be a run aground that moves (8+/one of each) from the trash to the deck" isn't all it there is to it.

I also definitely destroyed every crew member at least once, as well as both of her ongoing cards (at the same time, even, with Timely Disruption) and played every card in La Comodora's deck at least once.

So I suspect you DO need either Haka or Legacy in there.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

payprplayn

Given that McBehrer failed following the Nyx/Bolnerap script, and assuming there's not a random Haka/Legacy requirement, maybe it's a likely (but not necessary) side effect of the things they mentioned rather than those actual things,  For instance, I'm wondering if it has to do with how many cards La Comodora discards (keeping a lot of equipment in play probably means a lot of discards).

Edit: It looks like Nyx discarded 44 cards in their game (it might have been a little less-- I didn't check them all, but a Ctrl-F for "La Comodora discards" turned up 44 results).  Since no one else posted logs, I have nothing to compare that with.

Edit 2: so I checked them this time, and since the text appears twice on pastebin, the actual figure is 22 cards.

payprplayn

Well, I can at least confirm you need neither Haka nor Legacy, as I just unlocked it with Lifeline, Harpy, Nightmist, Comodora, and Medico. Followed the same basic script: a bunch of equipment (mostly played by Weigh Anchor), ending with a  big Run Aground.  I didn't use any powers other than her innate (which is my favorite in the game, so I don't know how much I'll wind up using this unlock), and I discarded ~30 cards.  https://pastebin.com/mNphX5nD and attached .txt file contain my log.

Attachment(s): 
Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

Fought Ambuscade in Time Cataclysm with La C, SSTachy, Grandpa Legs, and Dr. Medico. 

All La C equipment made it to the table at least once, and I used the power on deck guns, and every equipment that could do damage did damage. Also did the power on rudder at least once.

Had 10 equipments in my trash, used Run Aground for the win, no unlock.

The Helm never made it to the trash, wondering if that has something to do with it.

Attachment(s): 
payprplayn

Ensign's game adds a little to the theory that discards matter, since he only had 10.  However, he didn't fight Capitan either, which all successful unlocks I'm aware of have, so we can't read too much into it.

NyxFSSD

In my mobile unlock (log: https://pastebin.com/HJvcF3kC sorry, usually do most of my discussing on Discord instead of forums, which is why I'm not terribly active here outside of variant posting), I fought Ambuscade, so the villain doesn't matter.

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

Yeah  I knew villain didn't matter (spoke briefly with nyx in discord) so was trying to isolate other variables

Martin Tenbones

Perhaps add something like "Rift in Time cannot be in play at the end of the game"?  I see Ensign had it in play for their non-unlock, Nyx never interacted with it for their unlock (so it can't be required), other people drew it but destroyed it.  Would make sense if it were somehow involved because it's the Time Cataclysm card with her on it.

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

I'll try again and have that be a condition. I'll report back

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

Nope, unless I missed something else.

Attachment(s): 
McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Does the Helm have to not be destroyed? Having it never hit the trash seems a bit much, and it CAN enter play at least, so... 

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

-- Trajector

FearLord

McBehrer wrote:

Does the Helm have to not be destroyed? Having it never hit the trash seems a bit much, and it CAN enter play at least, so... 

I got the unlock with a copy in play and a copy in the trash (possibly both the other copies actually).

Physicswizzard

So I fought La Captain at the Time Cataclysm with Xtreme AA, Old Man Legacy, TLT, La Comadora, and Dr. Medico.  I one copy of each of La Comadora's Equipment in play for a full round before I used a Run Aground to deal the final blow moving 8 equipment from her trash.  I did use the power on the deck guns multiple times but did not use the rudder.  No unlock.

On a side note, La Captain never flipped for me (I don't know if that is important), and while I lost count of discards, it was a lot.

Attachment(s): 

Physicswizzard

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

La Capitan isn't relevant, as other villains have been used.

But my qyquesti was, do you have to play it without the helm being DESTROYED, specifically

-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Edit: never mind. I don't think team comp matters. One success had NightMist, Dr. Medico, Lifeline, and Harpy, while another had Best of Times Chrono-Ranger, Eternal Haka, Greatest Legacy, and G.I. Bunker. The villain doesn't matter, because both La Capitan and Ambuscade have been used. Discarding Concordant Helm is ok. I think it might be about not destroying the helm?

-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Yeah, I did it again, almost exactly the same, and unlocked it.

Action Hero Stuntman, Fugue State Parse, Team Leader Tachyon, and La Comodora vs Ambuscade in Time Cataclysm. Had at least one of each eqyequipm out, won with a big Run Aground.

The only difference is that this time i didn't let the Helm get destroyed. I noticed that the fail logs I've seen involved it being destroyed, and the successes don't.

So this definitely works.

Now the only questions are:

Do you NEED to be in the Time Cataclysm?

Do you NEED to use Run Aground to finish them off, specifically? If not, do you just need to do a big one at some point? Or at all, even? How big?

-- Trajector

NyxFSSD

McBehrer wrote:

The only difference is that this time i didn't let the Helm get destroyed. I noticed that the fail logs I've seen involved it being destroyed, and the successes don't.

So this definitely works.

In this log posted on Steam https://pastebin.com/YH58frEr the HELM got destroyed close to the end of the game, and they still got the unlock.

Ensign53
Ensign53's picture
Playtester

All things being equal, McBehrer, I did a finishing blow of 80+ damage, so I don't think it needs to be one big his.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

HMMMMMMMMMMMM

Well, my next guess was going to be that you could only play Run Aground once, but that isn't the case.

I really can't think of anything I did differently the second time. I didn't play Combat Timing? Also I had Maria Helena's Plot out when I dealt the final blow, whereas I destroyed it the first game so as not to kill the villain preemptively. I took more damage the second time, too.

This is really confusing, because I have no idea what i did wrong the first time!

-- Trajector

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Ensign53 wrote:

All things being equal, McBehrer, I did a finishing blow of 80+ damage, so I don't think it needs to be one big his.

Wow, ok, show-off!

=3

I do believe the Run Aground thing is part of it, it's just obviously not ALL of it

-- Trajector

MCPooge

I am not in position to scour logs, but does it have anything to do with the order of the equipment states? Like perhaps you have to have all of them in play, THEN all of them in the discard, THEN play Run Aground shuffling all of them into the deck?

I have had a couple attempts fail (iOS, no log), but I am not sure I achieved what I was trying to achieve. I may have to wait until this weekend to give it a good go all at once, instead of throughout my day.

Blackfang108
Playtester

Finished a loooooong game against Ambuscade in the Time Cataclysm.

Every equipment entered play at least once, Helm never left play.

On my last turn, with Ambuscade at 3 hp, I launched a 2 point Run Aground, and LC finished him off with a Cannon during EoT phase.

No Unlock.

Either I needed a bigger Run Aground for the unlock, or I need to drop him with Run Aground itself.

I'll test the first later.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

MCPooge wrote:

I am not in position to scour logs, but does it have anything to do with the order of the equipment states? Like perhaps you have to have all of them in play, THEN all of them in the discard, THEN play Run Aground shuffling all of them into the deck?

I have had a couple attempts fail (iOS, no log), but I am not sure I achieved what I was trying to achieve. I may have to wait until this weekend to give it a good go all at once, instead of throughout my day.

I don't think so, because that's what I did both times.

Also, if anyone is looking for a really, REALLY strong way of playing La Comodora, try this. Once you get at least one card in her discard, you can target her deck with Harnessed Anomaly. So once you get one of those, and Chronological Sweetspot, in your hand, you can rapidly accelerate her card plays.

Every turn, play Harnessed Anomaly on her, into Sweetspot if it isn't already in play. Then use your power to put Harnessed Anomaly under the top card of your deck and draw, and then Sweetspot will play the Anomaly again.

Also, don't be afraid to play Weigh Anchor as much as possible. I was tempted to hold onto it for one big play for a long time, but it's easy to get it back, you're guaranteed to get at least one card play out of it (unless you hit one of the 5 limited cards, but if you have all of them out, you're in a good spot) and even if you only get 2-3, that's still a great return on investment.

I know that wasn't really relevant, but I was playing her VERY suboptimally until recently, and once I started getting more aggressive instead of waiting until I had my card draw engine set up her output practically exploded!

-- Trajector

Jerro893

Don't normally post these, since most of them were done before I could get a chance to look, but I figured I might as well create an account to help out.

https://pastebin.com/TKA1SwiU & attached.

So I played it fairly safe, sticking to things that seemed like it would work.  Got it on the first try, so not really much room to experiment.

-Tried to play every unique equipment card at least once

-Played on Time Cataclysm.

-Had a fairly decent Run Aground. (played three times, for 8, 7, and 15, with the 15 being the finishing blow)

I did try to keep up as many ongoings and equipment cards as possible, so I was discarding a LOT of cards per turn by the midpoint, however, I destroyed most of them at the end in order to get as big a Run Aground as I could.  Not all of them were out, but I think one of each type at least was out when I did it.

Also, I used Rudder in the Timestream quite a bit.  I think more so than her innate power.

I haven't really looked at any of the other logs, since my brain turns to mush trying to focus on those for more than a few minutes at a time, but could it have something to do with not just discarding cards, but shuffling cards back into the decks?  Other Characters can shuffle cards back into decks, but not quite to the extent that LC does.

It looks like we've all been looking at Run Aground, Equipment, the Helm, and Discards, but is there any correlation with pulling cards back into the decks?

Attachment(s): 
Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Welcome to the forums!

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Jerro893

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

Got it. My thoughts:

La Comodora in Time Catclysm (Villains and Teammates don't matter. I achieved it with Ambuscade, Lifeline and TLT)

Must have one of each equipment out at the same time (I achieved it by drawing my deck several times over with TLT and Lifelane's base power, but a good Weigh anchor would also work)

Must defeat the villain with Run Aground (Not sure if it matters how much damage. 8 is the minimum reported so far)

You do not have to play Weigh Anchor, Maria Helena's Plot, Combat Timing, Take Time, Harnessed Anomaly. Chronological Sweetspot, or Flintlock and Cutlass.

You may have to be left with nothing but the Helm at the end. Not sure about that one.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I don't know about "nothing," because I am 90% sure I had Shipshape out, 100% sure I had Maria Helena's Plot, and... pretty sure I still had Sweetspot out?

So the Helm definitely wasn't the only card still in play. It was the only equipment card, though.

-- Trajector

pwatson1974
pwatson1974's picture
Playtester

That is what I meant, as I had Shipshape out. It’s not what I said, but it’s what I meant.

G+ games: I am part of the 100%

JimB
JimB's picture

No unlock yet. Have been fighting Advanced GloomWeaver (for his protection, so nothing accidentally kills him before I'm ready) in the Time Cataclysm with Chrono-Ranger (for time travel), Prime Wardens Argent Adept (for control of everyone's decks), Freedom Five Absolute Zero (to neuter GloomWeaver's deck), and Haka (for "Savage Mana" and to make sure none of the heroes take environmental damage). I've had every copy of every one of La Comodora's cards in play that legally could be in play, bolstered by tons of card draw effects from PWAA, before letting all equipment cards but "Concordant Helm" and both "Paradoja Figurehead" cards fall off for the biggest "Run Aground" possible to finish him off. No luck.

This technique shuffled La Comodora's deck so many times I lost count, so if shuffles and/or draws relative to card plays matter, that could have been the killer for me.

Kupo.

Jerro893

pwatson1974 wrote:

Got it. My thoughts:

La Comodora in Time Catclysm (Villains and Teammates don't matter. I achieved it with Ambuscade, Lifeline and TLT)

Must have one of each equipment out at the same time (I achieved it by drawing my deck several times over with TLT and Lifelane's base power, but a good Weigh anchor would also work)

Must defeat the villain with Run Aground (Not sure if it matters how much damage. 8 is the minimum reported so far)

You do not have to play Weigh Anchor, Maria Helena's Plot, Combat Timing, Take Time, Harnessed Anomaly. Chronological Sweetspot, or Flintlock and Cutlass.

You may have to be left with nothing but the Helm at the end. Not sure about that one.

I'm not sure about that last one, either.  I know we already went over ongoings, but when I unlocked I know I also had one Figurehead in LC's play area, since I assumed that It'd be one damage either way, and if it didn't unlock that'd narrow it down.  It could be that since I destroyed one of two in play, I technically destroyed one of each unique equipment card at least once, rather than destroying all of the equipment other than helm, assuming destruction is one of the triggers.

I do agree with the rest of that, though.

JimB
JimB's picture

JimB wrote:
No unlock yet. Have been fighting Advanced GloomWeaver (for his protection, so nothing accidentally kills him before I'm ready) in the Time Cataclysm with Chrono-Ranger (for time travel), Prime Wardens Argent Adept (for control of everyone's decks), Freedom Five Absolute Zero (to neuter GloomWeaver's deck), and Haka (for "Savage Mana" and to make sure none of the heroes take environmental damage). I've had every copy of every one of La Comodora's cards in play that legally could be in play, bolstered by tons of card draw effects from PWAA, before letting all equipment cards but "Concordant Helm" and both "Paradoja Figurehead" cards fall off for the biggest "Run Aground" possible to finish him off. No luck.
This technique shuffled La Comodora's deck so many times I lost count, so if shuffles and/or draws relative to card plays matter, that could have been the killer for me.

Got the unlock doing all this again, but this time "Concordant Helm" was the only card in La Comodora's play area when I dropped a "Run Aground" to finish off GloomWeaver, and the final blow was one below its max possible HP damage.

EDIT: I also only had one copy of each of her equipment cards in play at once before letting them drop into the trash.

Kupo.

The Grim Digger

Got it with a similar setup to JimB, but more so.  My first try I kept Helm in play all game, but shuffled once, and I think I missed putting one piece of equipment into play.  The second try I kept Helm in play the whole game, played at least one of every equipment, and never shuffled.  Played Run Aground once for 14 but didn't finish Ambuscade.  Let a few turns pass to run out my deck, then discarded several cards from play and finished Ambuscade with literally every card from my deck in my discards except the original helm and the Run Aground I played to finish it. (18 damage due to Inspiring Presence.)

From looking at the logs, I can rule out two factors: You do not need to allow every piece of equipment except the Helm (which doesn't have the option) to destroy itself due to not paying the upkeep.  I'd been considering the possibility, but Jerro853's unlock didn't destroy Temporal Rigging.  Likewise, you don't appear to need to include one of each type of equipment in the Run Aground that kills the villain, since NyxFSSD did it with no shuffle at all, just 1 point of damage and a massive Critical Multipler.

Attachment(s): 
Blackfang108
Playtester

OK, so I still have an unlock to burn.  What do we need tested?

Blackfang108
Playtester

Finally unlocked.

I definitely had one each of my equipments in the trash, shuffled in over 10 equipment total, and killed Ambuscade with a 14 pt shot.

I had non-Helm equipment in play. I never used a non-Base power for LC. I had Maria Helena's Plot in play. 

My prediction:

In the Time Cataclysm, La Commodora must defeat the solo Villain with the damage from Run Aground.  At least one of each unique equipment must enter the Trash.

Can we think of anything else we may be missing?  perhaps using the helm multiple times?

Physicswizzard

Ok, I am drawing a blank on this one.  I cannot seem to get the unlock.  I just beat Ambuscade in the Time Cataclysm with Old Man Legacy, TLT, La Comadora, Lifeline and Xtreme AA.  La Comadora had a copy of each one of her equipments in play going into her last turn.  She didn't discard for any of them blowing them all up and putting them into the trash (except of course the helm which doesn't blow up) and then she ran the ship aground to finish off Ambuscade with 12 damage.  No unlock.

Attachment(s): 

Physicswizzard

FearLord

Physicswizzard wrote:

Ok, I am drawing a blank on this one.  I cannot seem to get the unlock.  I just beat Ambuscade in the Time Cataclysm with Old Man Legacy, TLT, La Comadora, Lifeline and Xtreme AA.  La Comadora had a copy of each one of her equipments in play going into her last turn.  She didn't discard for any of them blowing them all up and putting them into the trash (except of course the helm which doesn't blow up) and then she ran the ship aground to finish off Ambuscade with 12 damage.  No unlock.

Had another copy of Helm entered her trash? It doesn’t leave play like the others, but potentially might still have to get a copy of if into her trash?

MCPooge

So now, I am certain that every unique Equipment hit play. And the turn I finished off Ambuscade, every card in the deck was in the trash, except for Concordant Helm in play and the Run Aground I played. No unlock. There is something we are missing here.

Physicswizzard

FearLord wrote:

Physicswizzard wrote:

Had another copy of Helm entered her trash? It doesn’t leave play like the others, but potentially might still have to get a copy of if into her trash?

Actually yeah, I do know a different copy of the helm had entered my trash.  I always had one copy in play but I did discard another so that I could reshuffle it during the run aground.

Physicswizzard

gossamerica2

I’m pretty sure that before you deal the final blow, you need to change your system clock to a time BEFORE you started that game.

Blackfang108
Playtester

gossamerica2 wrote:

I’m pretty sure that before you deal the final blow, you need to change your system clock to a time BEFORE you started that game.

nope.  Didn't do that in my unlock.

gossamerica2

Okay, fine, instead of traveling back in time, travel forward in time.  Make sure you finish the game sometime AFTER you start it.  But it would be interesting if they did shenanigans like that.  Not nice, but interesting.

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

I mean... By definition you usually finish games after you start them. I highly doubt one of the explicit requirements is "don't go back in time."

-- Trajector

gossamerica2

Apparently the ability to recognize a joke isn’t a requirement for this unlock, either...

Blackfang108 wrote:

gossamerica2 wrote:

flamethrower49
Playtester

"Don't go back in time"?

Did anybody who unlocked her use the rewind button? A bit out there, but maybe worth asking.

jorgenp

flamethrower49 wrote:

"Don't go back in time"?

Did anybody who unlocked her use the rewind button? A bit out there, but maybe worth asking.

The Grim Digger's unlock above includes a rewind.

Blackfang108
Playtester

gossamerica2 wrote:

Apparently the ability to recognize a joke isn’t a requirement for this unlock, either...

Blackfang108 wrote:

gossamerica2 wrote:

Comedy is better if someone's willing to play the straight man every so often.

Blackfang108
Playtester

jorgenp wrote:

flamethrower49 wrote:

"Don't go back in time"?

The Grim Digger's unlock above includes a rewind.

Hmm... I don't recall if I rewound in mine, but I'm pretty sure I did.

Do any of the logged unlocks NOT have a rewind?

jorgenp

Blackfang108 wrote:

Do any of the logged unlocks NOT have a rewind?

All the unlocks in this thread did rewind at some point.  Not sure about Steam...

Pages