The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

18 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

Sooo I just found out about this game the other day (subject line of this thread is the game name) when my partner told me about it, then saw a YouTube vid yesterday on one of the channels I check every day and it looks super-cool. I wondered if anyone here was familiar with it - it's only been out a week or two, I think, and can be got on Steam and probably one or two other places as well.

The game is that one person has a bomb that they need to defuse, and five minutes in which to do so (at least, in the plays I've seen of it). They are the only person who can see the bomb - any other players, whether they're in the same room or on the Net, have no idea what the bomb-defuser is looking at and instead have the bomb defusal manual to look at (this is available as a free PDF download on the website, while the game itself is £10.99, at least on Steam). The person with the manual is the "expert" and it's the expert(s) job to give the bomb-defuser the right instructions to defuse the bomb. And the person with the bomb needs to give a good enough description of what they're seeing so that the expert(s) can give them the right instructions to defuse the bomb without it blowing up. It's sort of like solving a bunch of little mini-game things, wherein there may be certain symbols or some numbers, or different-coloured wires and stuff like that, and each module must be successfully "solved" (usually by having the right bit of it clicked on, and in the right order if it has more than one thing that needs clicking) for its light to go green. Solve all modules and the bomb is defused - congratulations, level complete, and you can move onto a harder one.

Obviously this game can't be played single-player so I was wondering if anyone on here was familiar with it/planning on getting it, and if so I'll actually get it myself and we can play it :D.

I am the Wordweaver...

Basically, I like writing stuff ;)

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I hadn't heard of that one but it is certainly sounds interesting.   

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

I played demos of this game at PAX and can confirm that it's great. Also works really well at range over the phone or Hangouts or something like that.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

I have a copy and it is the best game and I want to play it all the time.

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

grysqrl
grysqrl's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

I saw this the other day. It looks interesting, but I wonder how fun it stays after playing it a bunch of times.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Personally I was planning on playing it over some kind of voice chat (I have both Skype and Steam) with whomever I can get hold of that wants to have a go :).

I am the Wordweaver...

BlueHairedMeerkat
BlueHairedMeerkat's picture
Playtester

Well, count me in. More KTaNE is always good :D

“You gotta have blue hair."
-Reckless

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

I've heard of it, and it seems interesting. So I'd be up for it

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I'm Ameena1 on Steam if anyone wants to add me and have a game some time :). I haven't actually bought it just yet but I downloaded the manual last night, and I don't think it would take long to download and install anyway.

I am the Wordweaver...

Craig
Craig's picture
Admin

I'll likely end up getting this. It probably won't happen until our Steam Link arrives, though...

Twitter: imprimis5. Follow away!

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

It sounds like my computer tech support job.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Well, I just went and got the game. No-one to play it with just yet but wanted to get it anyway :).

I am the Wordweaver...

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Donner wrote:

It sounds like my computer tech support job.

This is what I think everytime I see stuff about this game:

"Hey somebody decided to make a game about my mother calling and asking how to use her computer."

jffdougan
jffdougan's picture
Playtester

Can't get it yet - appears to be Windows only.

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I think it is, yeah. You could still play, though, just not as the bomb defuser - the manual is just a PDF you can download for free off the website so you can be someone's expert :).

I am the Wordweaver...

VisforYoshi
VisforYoshi's picture

The game mode i was interested in trying (and I haven't read the manual, just things I heard from a friend) is the one calle "Who's on First"

"A delayed game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever"

-Shigeru Miyamoto

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

I think that's just one of the possible modules that can come up - I recall seeing it when having a quick look through the manual (which has a page on each module). If I remember rightly it sounded pretty complicated and I didn't entirely understand it - it probably makes more sense when you actually have a bomb there with that module on it ;).

I am the Wordweaver...

Ameena
Ameena's picture
Playtester

Played this with Ja'Ph' last night (we were swapping roles every couple of bombs) and it is definitely super fun :D. I think his brain melted a bit but hopefully not so much that he won't want to do some more today ;).

I am the Wordweaver...