The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Is action economy an issue for two players?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Matanui3
Is action economy an issue for two players?

I'm planning on running the Starter Kit for two of my friends, but I have trepidations about action economy issues - most TTRPG games and scenarios are written for around four people, and half that usually requires adjustments.  Has anybody tried the starter kit with small numbers of players, and if so, how does it generally go?

drezzinator

While I dont have any experience with small groups in SCRPG (or any RPG for that matter), I think that things can scale with relative ease. The number of minions are usually some amount per hero, and I found myself scaling a few things in the moment if I want to make things easier or harder (whether that be making twists more/less drastic, fudging dice either way, or numerous other things).

The only thing that you may want to do is to make Scene Trackers a little larger than normal. I'm not sure if that would be nessessary, but just another idea to scale things so that there are more opportunities to complete challenges. That'd probably just have to be trial and error to find something that works.

Hope that helps!

MindWanderer
MindWanderer's picture
Playtester

Yes, it's an issue.  Not every adventure scales down well, and running out the scene tracker is a real risk.  You may have to take some checkboxes out of the challenges, in particular.  Using the "extended" scene tracker may also work.  Not sure if the heroes might run out of HP too quickly--minion numbers are scaled down, but lieutenant numbers and strength aren't, nor is the big bad.

Sentinels Statistics Project -- Statistics updated daily!

Submit your games here!