The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Invader Spirits

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Trajector
Trajector's picture
Invader Spirits

I was just thinking a little about our world, and how it might connect to the world of Spirit Island.

In our world, there's a misconception that native people had little or no technology. A better characterization is that native technologies developed under different pressures than European technologies - and in some cases were actually superior. To take North America as an example: moccasins, bows, and canoes were superior to boots, matchlock muskets, and dinghies in that terrain. And whenever there was a European technology that worked better, such as flintlock muskets, the natives quickly traded to get it. The cultures were much more similar in terms of pragmatism and technology than a history written by the victors suggests.

This line of thought got me wondering: if the same relationships apply to the Invaders and Dahan, how much of what we know about the alternate-history development of the Dahan culture also applies to the Invaders? Are there spirits working with some Invader nations?

...perhaps there's an expansion in there, a la Pandemic's bioterrorist!

Eric R
Game DesignerPlaytester

In our world, there's a misconception that native people had little or no technology.... whenever there was a European technology that worked better, such as flintlock muskets, the natives quickly traded to get it. The cultures were much more similar in terms of pragmatism and technology than a history written by the victors suggests.

Very true!

...how much of what we know about the alternate-history development of the Dahan culture also applies to the Invaders? Are there spirits working with some Invader nations?

For now, I'm going to put on my Inscrutiable Hat and say neither "yes" nor "no" but simply "the answer to that question is known".

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Quick Christopher, I think Eric needs some smoke bombs.

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Trajector
Trajector's picture

Oooooooooooooooooooooo.