The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Interest Check: Roll20 Tactics Regular Challenges

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester
Interest Check: Roll20 Tactics Regular Challenges

As some of you may recall, I was working on a virtual Tactics board through the roll20 website a few months ago. A lack of motivation to write up a guide to using it and other real life occurrences resulted in my hiatus, even though the virtual table, as far as I could tell, was functioning perfectly as expected. So the gen-con tournament streams re-invigorated my interest and I've decided to at least get it up there and just focus on answering questions as they come up so that people can enjoy the fruits of my labor.

To do this, I'm contemplating doing a series of regular events where I show off a map which is to be played with tournament standard skirmishes, Bans and drafts with 3v3 characters a side(speaking of which, does anyone know if there is a way to get ahold of the images of the maps used in the tournaments? I've been running off the one they had posted for Pax south for a while and more variety is always nice.) then give two optional modifications. The Standard modification would be map features, like Turrets, Minions and other Hazards that make the map more complex. The Advanced modifications however, are changes that alter how the skirmish is played. This could range to alternative drafting methods such as limited (random character's are pre-banned) or Random (Each player gets a hand of characters to choose from) to Alternative skirmish objectives such as those listed in Spiff's collection of community created modes of play.

The idea is players post their results if they chose to follow the challenges along with whatever modifiers they used, which I would compile into a list for the post of the next challenge. Due to the challenge of trying to get people together to actually play, the teams could be of any number of players and and all of this is just for fun.

In support of this, I'll be providing a set of two different roll20 campaigns set up for this. The first is going to be an unlocked board, which anyone can jump on and play. Of course, it's not always going to be cleaned up, but I'll be trying to keep it reset when I'm able. The other "Board" is available for reservation at specific times. This board will be locked unless it's reserved, and even then, only the people who reserved it can use it, so it will always be clean and fully functional.

So here's the question, would people be interested in this sort of regular events? And if you are, how often do you think I should post them? Also any ideas for potential Standard or Advanced Modifications are appreciated.

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

I am interested in joining such games, but my hours are all over the place.

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

lutherbellhendricksv
lutherbellhendricksv's picture
Game Designer

I would play this as long as teammates will put up with me misremembering what the cards do in the final version. :p

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'll play!

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

I would like to play but can't guarantee when or how much currently.  

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

kitmehsu
kitmehsu's picture
Playtester

This is enough interest between here and boardgame geek, that I'm going forward with this, everyone who posted on the thread will get a PM with the links to the board.  The first challenge is here https://greaterthangames.com/forum/topic/sentinel-tactics-online-challenge-issue-1-7670 and the boards will hopefully be function by tomorrow evening.