The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Incapacitated in an occupied hex

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester
Incapacitated in an occupied hex

Let's say you're moving along, minding your own business, when WHAM a hazard attacks you, incapacitating you. If you happened to be moving through an occupied text (edit: hex) at that point, where do you end up?

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Hex?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

arenson9 wrote:

Let's say you're moving along, minding your own business, when WHAM a hazard attacks you, incapacitating you. If you happened to be moving through an occupied text at that point, where do you end up?

I guess my first question would be "why are you intentionally moving through a hazard space"? 

As to the hypothetical, I am not quite sure, I don't recall ever seeing a situation quite like it (mostly because you generally avoid lava and turrets as a rule of thumb). My gut reaction would be to just place your character on a legal space adjacent to the occupied hex in which you were incapped. 

Donner
Donner's picture
Playtester

Proletariat may purposely enter hazard spaces.  For Proletariat, it could get him another clone.  Can Wraith get a free sprint from them with Slip Into Shadows?

"Deja-fu? You've heard of that?"
- Lu Tze, Sweeper, Thief of Time by Terry Pratchett

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

Donner wrote:

Proletariat may purposely enter hazard spaces.  For Proletariat, it could get him another clone.  Can Wraith get a free sprint from them with Slip Into Shadows?

All fair points.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Sometimes you're moved by others. Omnitron, Operative, and Proletariat all have actions that push targets.

Hi. My name's Andy. Feel free to call me Andy, since, ya know, that's my name. (he/him/his)

If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If not now, when? If I am for myself alone, what am I? -- Hillel

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

Hex?

Yeesh. Yes, I meant hex instead of text.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Also, various characters can create hazard spaces (Turret Bot, Blazing Tornado, etc.) such that one finds oneself starting on a hazard space with few options for moving that aren't also hazard spaces. Or one might want to go through a hazard space to get next to a character to make a melee attack.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

What I'm trying to say is that last night Rabit was playing Omnitron and Unity, put out Turret Bot to create a bunch of hazard spaces, and then used Omnitron's push power (Interpolation Beam?) to move Proletariat, Proletariat, Proletariat, Dawn, and Citizen Autumn through a bunch of hazard spaces. It was pretty awesome.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone focused on why you'd find yourself in that situation rather than what the answer to the question was.  Lots of ways you could do it.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

It's an odd one, surely. But I think you'd be moved to an unoccupied space as close as possible to the occupied hex you were incapped in. That seems to me to be the most intuitive. Anyone think it's something else?

Christopher
Christopher's picture
AdminGame Designer

The active player chooses an adjacent unoccupied hex for the incapacitated character to occupy.

If there is not an adjacent unoccupied hex, go out one more standard deviation.

"Your goodness must have some edge to it — else it is none."
 - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Surely this is only a problem if

1. you move into an occupied space AND
  2. You take exactly enough damage so no push occurs

How often does that happen?

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

Matchstickman wrote:

How often does that happen?

Why is that important to figuring out how to deal with it when it does happen?

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

It isn't, but it is just a corner case and Christopher hadn't responded when I was writing. I wondered if it was of high enough importance to bother the powers that be with when there are other questions that seem to generate far more debate that have yet to be answered.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

It isn't, but it is just a corner case and Christopher hadn't responded when I was writing. I wondered if it was of high enough importance to bother the powers that be with when there are other questions that seem to generate far more debate that have yet to be answered.

Are there other outstanding questions for Tactics?

I certainly don't want to distract people from more important tasks, but I figured this wouldn't take long to answer.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Never suggested they were Tactics related questions.

arenson9
arenson9's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Matchstickman wrote:

Never suggested they were Tactics related questions.

No, you didn't, but I was trying to make the point that no other games' questions are more urgent to me then Tactics questions at the moment, as I will be co-running a Tactics tournament in a couple of weeks.

I infer that you think this question wasn't worth asking, because other questions are more important and the people who might answer them are busy.

I don't think they are too busy, and if they are, they can decide what they do or don't work on it. It's not like I've been pushing this for a long time. There are also at least four people who can answer authoritatively about this (Kevin, Luther, Paul, and Christopher) and I doubt they are all too busy. Luther and Paul, in particulare, have both been quite responsive in answering Tactics questions.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

Keep putting Tactics questions here in this forum! I am full of thinking about Tactics rules now and am making an effort to keep up with this forum.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Never said they were unimportant, never said your question was unimportant, merely pointed out that it was a corner case that is going to happen rarely. Hopefully reminded you that Push happens when KOs occur, couple of times it has been not used/missed in the Tornaments braodcast.