The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

Incapacitated characters

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
donnandsusan
Incapacitated characters

I played my first game today and the heroes lost against Baron Blade.  One problem we had was that we had characters in range for attacks, but if someone had already incapacitated him, the next hero essentially lost their turn.  Can you do anything to an incapacitated character?  If nothing else, I'd like to be able to hit him for overkill damage in order to get some push for repositioning him into a less advantageous position.

Spiff
Spiff's picture
PlaytesterExceeded ExpectationsUnique Capabilities

That's not in the rules, but if you think that'd be more fun, I'd say give it a try.

Spiff's SotM site: www.spiffworld.com/sotm

SeraAlexandria

That's very strange. The turn order is usually organized so that the villain goes between each hero's turn. If one Hero Incapacitated him, he should already be up again before another hero gets a turn. Don't forget, if nothing else, you can Take Aim, Dodge, and/or Move to use your 2 or 3 actions for the turn. A turn that you don't have to do any particular action, or can't attack anything, is a turn you can use to set up to make your next turn more effective.

As Spiff said, you can add more rules to the game if you want, and think it will make the game more fun for you. I just want to be sure you're not making some weird mistakes before you start adding houserules to accomodate those mistakes.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

donnandsusan wrote:

I played my first game today and the heroes lost against Baron Blade.  One problem we had was that we had characters in range for attacks, but if someone had already incapacitated him, the next hero essentially lost their turn.  

This is wrongheaded I think. How is your turn lost? Go get in better posititon for when Baron gets back up. Force him into a different direction. Buff your team if able, set up field control...there are a ton of helpful and strategic things you can do besides just throwing attacks at Baron Blade.

Tyrsis
Playtester

SeraAlexandria wrote:

That's very strange. The turn order is usually organized so that the villain goes between each hero's turn. If one Hero Incapacitated him, he should already be up again before another hero gets a turn.

Scenario 1 with Baron Blade is the only scenario where villains don't necessary have equal number of turns to the heroes. He gets turns 1/3 in a 3-4 player game and 1/4 in a 5 player game, so in a 4 player game if hero 2 knocked him out on turn 4, then hero 3 on turn 5 is targetless (assuming scenario 1 pt1 or a super lucky pt 2); similarly turns 2/3 and 5/6 in a 5 player game.
Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

How does the board feel about applying debuffs or buffs while someone is incapacitated?

Aaaaaand Oblivion went off for two points of damage total. :(

McBehrer
McBehrer's picture
Playtester

Well, you can't to the incapacitated character, since they basically don't exist, but that's no reason you can't buff yourself in the downtime.

McBehrer is the sole winner of this game... And McBehrer, I would step carefully should you find your way down dark alleys. More than one vote said simply, "McBehrer must die."

McBehrer confirmed to be Biomancer!
-- Trajector

Flintlock
Flintlock's picture

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Aaaaaand Oblivion went off for two points of damage total. :(

donnandsusan

Foote wrote:

donnandsusan wrote:
I played my first game today and the heroes lost against Baron Blade.  One problem we had was that we had characters in range for attacks, but if someone had already incapacitated him, the next hero essentially lost their turn.  

This is wrongheaded I think. How is your turn lost? Go get in better posititon for when Baron gets back up. Force him into a different direction. Buff your team if able, set up field control...there are a ton of helpful and strategic things you can do besides just throwing attacks at Baron Blade.

Wow.  That was harsh.  As for forcing him into another direction, his teleportation skill works on LOS which can't be blocked by characters, so positioning was unhelpful.  My understanding is that Dodge and Aim go away at the beginning of your next turn, so you can't really buff with them.

Frankly, in was mostly just unfortunate turn order.  Beacon incapacitated Baron twice with Tachyon coming next in turn order.  So Tachyon had two turns in a row where she couldn't attack and we desperately needed the KO's in order to win the scenario.  (I wasn't playing Tachyon, so I'm not sure if she has better buff cards that she could have been using on those off turns).  Ra and Legacy were the other heroes and between Legacy rolling poorly for move and Ra being land-bound, they couldn't keep up.

Foote
Foote's picture
PlaytesterHarmony

donnandsusan wrote:

Wow.  That was harsh.  

Ugh. I didn't mean it to be read as harsh. Sorry it came off that way. I just ment there are better ways to think about this situation. Thinking of it as a wasted turn isn't gonna help you find a better use for your turn. That's all I meant.

donnandsusan wrote:

As for forcing him into another direction, his teleportation skill works on LOS which can't be blocked by characters, so positioning was unhelpful.  

He can't teleport onto a space where you are standing wink If you block the right spaces and force him to teleport elsewhere than spend another action moving, you just set yourself up for an advantage. Dodging will be a deterent for him just getting up and blasting your face away.

Keep in mind that his splicing requires a range of 1. He needs to stand in certain spots to reach most of those conduits. Keep that in mind!

donnandsusan wrote:

My understanding is that Dodge and Aim go away at the beginning of your next turn, so you can't really buff with them.

And Baron takes how many turns before the start of your next turn? Dodge is great as a deterent as Baron has a limited amount of actions to use and he needs to make the best use of the ones he has. You can bait him into wasting those actions attacking you being dodged up if you are in a position to deny him a spot he needs.

I'm just saying there are other ways to think about your turn than "Oh man, if I didnt attack him this is a waste!" Get creative and force Baron out of his gameplan. You don't need to deal him damage to do that.

donnandsusan

Foote wrote:

Keep in mind that his splicing requires a range of 1. He needs to stand in certain spots to reach most of those conduits. Keep that in mind!

Now this is what I needed to hear!  I'm pretty sure we played this completely wrong during our first game.  As in, not only did we not try to block, but I'm pretty sure he spliced from whichever side was convenient.

The next time we play this scenario, I will definitely keep this in mind.  I will also keep certain characters (Beacon!) with range-ignoring attacks in the center so that she can blast him whichever way he goes.  If we'd known about the teleportation skill before the game, things would have been very different.

P.S.  I agree that whining about wasted moves is pointless, but I have a few friends who miss certain nuances in games.  He's the kind of guy who would run up with a wizard and hit the bad guy with a staff.  He's a great guy! ... but not necessarily the sharpest gamer.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Foote wrote:

If you block the right spaces and force him to teleport elsewhere than spend another action moving, you just set yourself up for an advantage. Dodging will be a deterent for him just getting up and blasting your face away.Keep in mind that his splicing requires a range of 1. He needs to stand in certain spots to reach most of those conduits. Keep that in mind!

This strategy is great at stopping villains in several scenarios, but mostly Blade and Omnitron's first scenarios.

SotMfanboy

I've been scouring the forums and have not found the specific answer I seek. So I apologize if this has been answered already.

Last night I play a 2 heroes vs Omnitron, Scenario 1. At some point, play happened as follows:

Turn 1: Omnitron (at this point has 3 HP) incaps Hero 1. As a result, earns +2 actions for his next turn.

Turn 2: Hero 1 respawns, incaps Omnitron.

Turn 3: Omnitron respawns....

The conflict here is: Does Omnitron still get his bonus 2 actions? Or had they been forfeited due to being incapped in turn 2? The heroes must completely refresh anew after incapacitation. Their bonus happens upon Omnitron's incap. But since Omnitron must wait another 2 turns, can he lose his bonus before then?

Just a curious fanboy wanting all the right info.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

My opinion, Omni doesn't get the +2 actions due to the incap.  Luther (game co-designer) is pretty clear that incapacitation wipes everything a character has - bonus tokens, poisons, cards in play, everything.  I'd interpret that to mean the +2 actions as well.

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

Incapacitation doesn't wipe everything, it doesn't wipe scenario powers, and I don't think it would wipe the scenario rewards.

It is still Omnitron's next turn, I don't see why he wouldn't get the bonus.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

The scenario powers aren't wiped because they aren't actually the incapped character's powers.  But the bonus is the character's bonus.  No?

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

So in scenarios where heroes have to incap a villain X times to win, you Spiff, are saying that if a hero is incapped they lose the 'bonus' of the points that particular hero has already scored?

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

jagarciao
jagarciao's picture

Wouldn't those points be the player's bonus, though, instead of the character's?

phantaskippy
phantaskippy's picture
Playtester

That bonus isn't awarded until Omnitron's next turn.

Omnitron starts his new turn with an extra 2 actions.  There is no bonus ascribed to Omnitron at the time of the incapping of the hero that he can lose before his next turn.  He doesn't gain two Action+1 tokens that he can lose.

SotMfanboy

phantaskippy wrote:

That bonus isn't awarded until Omnitron's next turn.Omnitron starts his new turn with an extra 2 actions.  There is no bonus ascribed to Omnitron at the time of the incapping of the hero that he can lose before his next turn.  He doesn't gain two Action+1 tokens that he can lose.

I appreciate the swift reply. I've only had a chance to play this a few times since I got it. I'm introducing it to my weekly gaming group in a couple days so I want to get a firm grasp on the rulings.

Thanks all who commented!

Just a curious fanboy wanting all the right info.

Spiff
Spiff's picture

phantaskippy wrote:

That bonus isn't awarded until Omnitron's next turn.Omnitron starts his new turn with an extra 2 actions.  There is no bonus ascribed to Omnitron at the time of the incapping of the hero that he can lose before his next turn.  He doesn't gain two Action+1 tokens that he can lose.

Yeah, that makes sense.