The forums moved on March 1, 2021. Please read this page for more information.

In which Silverleaf and Julia Plan a UK Sentinel Tactics Tournament

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies
In which Silverleaf and Julia Plan a UK Sentinel Tactics Tournament

If only I was good at organising things...

Just assume I'm always doing that.

Damn it, Ronway!

Julia
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

If only I was good at organising things...

If UK tournaments become a thing, I hereby volunteer my organisational skills.

Well, and I volunteer the UK convention that I run, only I can't imagine people particularily wanting to shamble up to Leicester for a Sentinels Tournament. 

Semper ludens.

Matchstickman
Matchstickman's picture
Playtester

Julia wrote:
only I can't imagine people particularily wanting to shamble up to Leicester for a Sentinels Tournament

FTFY

Stop lurking, it makes you look like a villain target
When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all

Temporary image until an H emoticon is added!

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I would totally shamble DOWN to Leicester from t'frozen north for a Tactics tournament. And I volunteer my do-what-the-person-in-charge-says skills!

Damn it, Ronway!

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

I might even be persuaded to shamble down from t'North as well.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

If you guys wind up organizing a UK Tactics tournament, definitely let me know. I can send you stuff to help with the tournament as well as helping with publicity.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

This Silverleaf derailed thread needs a new title

edit:much better

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Paul wrote:

If you guys wind up organizing a UK Tactics tournament, definitely let me know. I can send you stuff to help with the tournament as well as helping with publicity.

Woo, thanks Paul!

Seriously, we should do this. Shall we do this?

Damn it, Ronway!

Pydro
Pydro's picture
ModeratorPlaytester

Hey Paul, don't you have to put on a hat to organize a tournament?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant"

Powerhound_2000
Powerhound_2000's picture
PlaytesterExceeded Expectations

If you do this I hope you can record some of the matches.  Maybe Paul can throw in Christopher and Trin for commentary   laugh

Crush your enemies, drive them before you, and laminate their women! - Guise, Prime Wardens #31

Julia
Playtester

Silverleaf wrote:

Shall we do this?

The con in Leicester is only on every two years, so we wanted to do it there, we'd unfortunatly have to wait til July 2016, as we just had one last year. I'd be up for that, at any rate, as it would only require a minimum of effort on my part, and we have the space, etc. 

Running a UK tournament this year would be a bit of a challenge, because two of the three conventions (UK Games Expo and Nine Worlds) that would probably be suitable are already too soon/booked out, respectively. Dragonmeet isn't, but I'd have to ask the guys what the conditions are like for a tournament table. All depends on the likely turnout, obviously.

Honestly, if you want it done this year, renting out a pub for a weekend would probably be the easiest thing to do. 

Semper ludens.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I suppose MidCon's a possibility, as it's late in the year.

Damn it, Ronway!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

I know someone who is close to the UK expo organisers, I could reach out to them to see if there's any inroad to add this as a late addition. I guess it depends on how many tables you think you would need. Firstly, I think you ought to get a wriggle on with finding out how many people out there are willing to participate to get an idea of the potential scale of such an event.

Another option to consider might be running it from Leisure Games as they were supportive in hosting >G when they came over a couple of years ago (was it that long ago already?) or you can easily find space at a church hall or Royal British Legion for a fairly small sum. Again, I would suggest checking out a few places for prices and then when you have a gauge on the interest you can find out what it will cost to run the event and maybe >G can think about what sort of support they would want to give if it was worthwhile making it happen.

I am not, unfortuantely, a Tactics player, but I am willing to help with some of this where I can smiley

Bas

If of interest, I can enquire with a game-store in Norwich that is open 7 days a week, has lots of tablespace and will have even more after they have moved to a larger location at the end of the month.

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

If you guys organize a tournament, I'll send an Organized Play Kit (which has posters and rules and brackets, etc) as well as a full set of painted miniatures to use as a prize.

“Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.” ~Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comrade Bubbles
Comrade Bubbles's picture

And I live two minutes away from a gaming café here in Liverpool, I can see if they're interested as well.

The space/time continuum was broken when I got here. Honest.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I guess once you've organised one tournament, it would be relatively easy to apply the same to another location...

Damn it, Ronway!

MightySi
MightySi's picture

I offer my 'make up the numbers and take up space' capabilities!

Southerner here, but not averse to a bit of a travel for a laugh or two.

Estelindis
Estelindis's picture
Playtester

If it happens at a time in the year when I'm free and have money to spare, I'll come over to the tourament from Ireland.  :)

Mezike
Mezike's picture

It all went a bit quiet on this iniatitive - considering the hint dropped elsewhere that >G/DHM are considering to have a presence at next year's expo should we think about planning a tournament for then or is there still interest in doing something sooner?

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

I'm still up for doing something, as long as someone else takes charge! ;)

Damn it, Ronway!

Julia
Playtester

(sorry, I was on two short holidays in a row and I just don't check the forum when I'm on the go)

I dig the idea of a tournament this year. At the very least, it might give GTG an idea if it's worth doing one at UK Games Expo next year, if they wind up going. 

Looking at the thread, I can tell two things- we are at this point not a lot of people and we are all over the map (heck, I don't even live in the UK myself!).

Not being a lot of people is not terribly concerning at this point, because advertisment and store location will get some people in who are not on the forums. If we're lucky, I'd say we'd be looking at a 15-20 people turnout, depending on venue.

What we need is a Games Store that has table space for about 20 people, does tournaments, stocks GTG products, and in the ideal case of ideal cases, has an open copy of Tactics knocking around that they'll let us use (we'll need about two copies of the game, I think). And the store should be somewhere you can get by public transport (most stores are).

I know Leisure Games in London covers most of these. Any others?

Semper ludens.

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Julia wrote:

I know Leisure Games in London covers most of these. Any others? 

They are the solid bet due to their previous hosting of >G a couple of years back so I'm sure they would be keen. 'The MIssing Geek' in Staines does not have table space but they use the function room of a nearby pub for game nights twice a week and I believe that they run MTG tournaments so they would be no strangers to this sort of thing.

I don't know any games clubs that have the space to host (and most meet in pubs which isn't ideal for this sort of thing) but a thought that comes to mind are smaller cons the like of Swancon and Tringcon. Unfortunately neither of these are due to meet again until March next year. The advantage of Swancon is that they have two meets, one in the North (Manchester I believe) and one in the South (Harrow), plus entrance to the con is only a fiver for a day and provides the advantage of being able to join the regular days activites outside of the tourney. I'm sure there are other min-cons like these that are active and could provide a more accessible option. If they are popular then we can turn to the expo as the next step up as they will definitely want cash to play.

Another option is one of the two board game cafes that have sprung up in the last year or so (one in South London, another in Oxford), but that would also involve money changing hands for sure.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Midcon's in Derby in November.

Damn it, Ronway!

Mezike
Mezike's picture

Midcon sounds like a good bet then! plenty of time to get something organised, it's also local for you Anna I believe? Do you know if they would be receptive to hosting?

Paul
Paul's picture
Admin

If anyone wants me to get them in contact with Mike from Leisure Games, I can do so. Just shoot me an email.

Silverleaf
Silverleaf's picture
PlaytesterBolster Allies

Mezike wrote:

Midcon sounds like a good bet then! plenty of time to get something organised, it's also local for you Anna I believe? Do you know if they would be receptive to hosting?

I'll add "research MidCon" to my list of things to do tonight (after the Handelabra stream of course). ;)

Damn it, Ronway!